#1 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,372 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 16 March 2004 - 05:23 PM

In December, 2002, it was reported here by "RedFenix," that the In Death series has been picked up to be made into a movie by Fox and ICON (Mel Gibson's production company). The official word came down on Friday, but apparently, the producer of the movie, Susan Landau, has been looking at producing movies based on the "In Death" series since "Naked" was released. Landau is apparently a big fan of the series, so everyone involved is very hopeful that the movie(s) will turn out well. A few days ago, Nora Roberts made this statement on the ADWOFF message board:

First, let me say I'm absolutely thrilled. Fox, with Mel Gibson's production company, has optioned the series for a feature film. The producer who made this deal, Susan Landau, has been working to do so since the first book. She's incredibly invested in the series--and a big fan of the books. That's a big one. She also gets it. Even bigger. Two of her previous credits are Cool Runnings--really warm and charming movie about the Jamaican Olympic bobsled team, and the more current and lovely film, The Ideal Husband.

My agent likes Susan very much, and after having a phone conversation with Susan, I see why. She's smart, straight-shooting, funny.

Mel Gibson's ICON gets projects done. This is not a guarantee that the In Death movie will get made, but it's a very good place to be, and improves the odds. You can't get a movie made unless it's optioned--and the chances of getting a movie well made shoot up considerably when you have people like this involved.

If it's done, I'll be thrilled. If it's done well I'll be ecstatic. Even so, will it be absolutely perfect and absolutely please every reader? Impossible. It will be the movie based on the novels by. And hopefully good enough, and successfully enough to spawn sequels.

I'm happy to be in Susan's hands--she also optioned two of my very early books years ago. They didn't get made, but she saw something, and she believes my work will translate well to the screen. How can I not like this woman.

Nora

I think it's fair to say that the "In Death" Movie seems to be in very good hands. I will of course track the progress of the movie, and will be posting any news I find right here. I am currently working on putting together a special section of the site here dedicated to the movie where you can go for any and all information. If any of you have any info to share, please post it here and share it with all of us.

Looking forward to what the movie will bring!

:woot:

AJ

#2 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,372 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 05:28 PM

Mel Gibson and Bruce Davey's Icon Productions to produce film based on best selling Nora Roberts novels.

By Vincent Rowe

Fox 2000 has purchased the film rights to Nora Roberts In Death series of novels. Mel Gibson and Bruce Davey's Icon Productions will produce as will Susan Landau.

Roberts best selling books are futurist romance suspense stories which chronicle the work and life of New York police Lt. Eve Dallas. Fourteen books have been published to date under the pen name J.D. Robb, including Immortal in Death, Naked in Death and Glory In Death. Portrait in Death, the next installment in the series will be published in March.

Roberts most recent novels, Table for Two and Chesapeake Blue were also best sellers. Both Creative Artists Agency and Amy Berkower of the Writers House represented the author in the deal.

Carla Hacken, an executive vice president at Fox 2000, will oversee the property's development, which the studio is hoping to turn into a franchise.

Landau's credits include All Over the Guy starring Dan Bucatinsky and Richard Ruccolo, as well as the period piece An Ideal Husband featuring Rupert Everett. She served as executive producer on both films.

Icon, who deal is based at Twentieth Century Fox, is presently putting together the film Paparazzi. The company also produced The Singing Detective which will premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2003.

Original article can be found at: FilmStew.com

#3 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,372 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 05:34 PM

"Death" Becomes Her: Weg Adapts
Chris Gardner - The Hollywood Reporter

April 29, 2003

Hanna Weg has been tapped to pen a screenplay for Fox 2000 and Mel Gibson and Bruce Davey's studio-based Icon Prods. based on Nora Roberts "In Death" book series. Although the series contains 14 titles, Weg will adapt one script based on the first two books in the series, "Naked in Death" and "Glory in Death." Fox 2000 and Icon acquired film rights to Roberts' work in December. The best-selling series follows the life and investigations of New York police Lt. Eve Dallas. Roberts wrote the futuristic romance thriller series under the pen name J.D. Robb, and it contains such other installments as "Rapture in Death," "Portrait in Death" and "Ceremony in Death." Susan Landau is producing the project along with Icon. At Fox 2000, executive vp Carla Hacken is overseeing. Weg is repped by ICM and attorney Craig Emanuel at Loeb & Loeb. She is known for the project "Criminal Conversation," which is set up at Paramount Pictures and Cruise/Wagner Prods. (Chris Gardner - The Hollywood Reporter)

A Link to the original article can be found here

#4 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,372 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:30 AM

PLEASE READ!! MOVIE HAS BEEN SCRAPPED!!

On ADWOFF in the "Stupid Questions" thread, a few days ago, someone asked Nora about the progress of the movie. Her answer was:

The In Death movie isn't in production, and unlikely to be. We'll probably end up selling an option elsewhere. Apparently the script on it--which took a year to write!--was pretty bad.

I hadn't seen any "official" announcement of this, but I'd say if Nora says it, it must be true.

EDIT:

This has now been officially confirmed on Nora's Website:

Q. What happened to the In Death movie?

A. Icon Productions’ rights to the In Death books have lapsed, so there are no plans for the In Deaths to be filmed at this time.

It is a tad disappointing. Disappointing that they could work a year on a script and still not come away with something decent. It's odd though, because the last thing Nora said on this was that Fox had seen the script and liked it. Maybe that was someone blowing sunshine up her skirt.

Perhaps at this point, HBO or Showtime might option it and do it up as a series.

:confused:

AJ

#5 boats

boats

Captain

• Members+
  • 2,208 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt Eve Dallas.

Posted 20 November 2004 - 03:44 AM

OUR HOPES!! Are Crushed. :cry_1:

You would think that one year by a script writer or a team of writers would produce a decent script. Are the script writers in Tinsel town that blind and stupid?

Now the actors that we have said are to young will be to old, when a decent script is finually produced.

Acchhh!! Woe is me!! No chance to see if Erica Durance and others giving us a Oscar winning preformance.

A sense of humor must be around here someplace... There has to be a silver lining here... I just don't see it. :cry_1: :cry_1: :cry_1:

:cheers:

Mark
These are an opinions of a man and may differ from all others; Please don't hunt him down and cause bodily harm.

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain:
If I can ease one life the aching,
or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I sall not live in vain.
Emily Dickinson

#6 adrianna

adrianna

Detective

• Members+
  • 547 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt. Eve Dallas

Posted 20 November 2004 - 06:09 AM

:shock: You're kidding me... :faint: That's really depressing...they've had a whole year and they couldn't turn up anything halfway decent?...So it isn't very likely to happen now is it? Or if it does happen, it'll be 2059... :cry: Well...sheesh. Well, like Boats said, let's find a sense of humor and a silver lining:

- There's always the books to discuss :cheers: Don't we already have the movie in our heads anyways? And besides, we hardly agree on the actors and actresses (except for Erica Durance *winks at Robbfan* :) ) so the ones we really do want we can just visualize in the role.
- We won't have to worry about them messing it up...or forming an angry mob :P Just kidding. It's kind of a funny thought though.
- Maybe by the time this actually gets off the ground, it'll be Roarke and Eve's time so we won't need a movie! :woot:
- They won't ruin our fantasies if they choose ugly/untalented/mediocre actors (especially for Roarke :faint:)
- One less movie to see, therefore, our diets won't suffer, because let's face it, movies aren't nearly as fun without the popcorn, candy, and soda :P

Can't think of any more...this really stinks :cry_1: . Hopefully it'll happen some day!
IPB Image
"Sanity is highly overrated."

#7 chibijem

chibijem

Rookie

• Members+
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 06:44 AM

Who are these writers, that they can't come up with a halfway decent script! They've got great material to cull from---jeez :confused: !!

But on the other hand, I'm willing to wait for a movie that is great instead of something that is just made for the sake of making a movie.

Patience, patience. Who am I kidding; patience was never one of my virtues :yuck: .

#8 MirrorWakes

MirrorWakes

Detective

• Members+
  • 494 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 20 November 2004 - 08:20 AM

Oh Nooooooooooo!
This movie was going to be something I could really look foward to :cry_1: .
Foret the characters getting old, by the time this movie's out I'LL be old!
:faint:
Mirror
Better a witty fool that a foolish wit.
- Twelfth Night

Hide not thy poison with sugar'd words.
- Henry VI, Part II

Out of my sight! Thou dost infect my eyes.
- Richard III

I was searching for a fool when I found you.
- As You Like It

Thou elvish-mark'd, abortive, rooting hog.
- Richard III

#9 lauramv

lauramv

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 603 posts

• Favorite Character: Dallas

Posted 20 November 2004 - 03:47 PM

sigh. yes it's disappointing to have another steback, but let's keep it all in perspective. ok, silver linings:

a. worse things have happened in the world than the in death movie not getting made soon enough for us

b. they chose to NOT make the movie (at least yet) over making it from a crappy script. better no movie at all than a total dissappointment. it would risk ruining the books, and that would be worse.

c. was there ever really an end in sight anyway? (okay this is not exactly a silver lining, but it's not like we were all set to go buy the tickets next week.)

d. if it's picked up by another company maybe they will give it more priority and move it along faster than if the rights weren't re-sold at all.
Witches, he thought. Always rhyming. --Morrigan's Cross

#10 RobbFan7337

RobbFan7337

Officer

• Members+
  • 307 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 21 November 2004 - 12:25 AM

Hmmm....that's sad, but I do agree that the actors/actresses we all have picked as our favorites for roles, at least help us to visualize the characters a bit better when we read.

Perhaps one of you fanfic writers could come up with a suitable script adapting Naked and Glory? I bet some of you could write a better screenplay than those more famous writers who know the characters far less well than you do.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear." --Mark Twain

#11 darortega

darortega

Officer

• Members+
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 07:03 PM

Another positive note - Oliver Stone is not making it! I was just reading about Alexander. It took him 15 years!!

Dar
I'm stealing this because I thought it was funny:

"I don't have any links, clever sayings, or a string of emoticons. If I hadn't typed any of this, I'd not have a sig at all. I'm still debating the merits of a sig. I'll let you know what I've come up with when the deliberations are over."

IPB Image

#12 Mavourneen

Mavourneen

Detective

• Members+
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 07:17 PM

Hey! It might be a good thing! If it doesn't get made into a movie. and the fact that it has entered HOllywood, so maybe a broadcasting station might pick it up for a series. LIke many of us wish....so perhaps that is the silver lining..........
Una palabra no dice nada
y al mismo tiempo lo esconde todo
Una mirada no dice nada
y al mismo tiempo lo dice todo

Live in the present. Believe in the future.
MakeAWishFoundation TheBreastCancerSite

#13 spook

spook

Civilian

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:15 AM

I think Nora is smart to take the property elsewhere. A series, especially on HBO would rock. The networks (NBC, ABC, etal) wouldn't be able to do it justice. There's always hope and yes, sometimes our imaginations are the best vehicles for the books.
Better no movie than a crappy movie.
DB :roarkerules:

#14 adrianna

adrianna

Detective

• Members+
  • 547 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt. Eve Dallas

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:22 AM

I think Nora is smart to take the property elsewhere.  A series, especially on HBO would rock.  The networks (NBC, ABC, etal) wouldn't be able to do it justice.  There's always hope and yes, sometimes our imaginations are the best vehicles for the books.
DB  :roarkerules:

That's true, I didn't think about that. You're right, Nora taking it elsewhere it probably a good thing, rather than having her accept a bad script. Definitely better a post poned movie rather than a bad movie. And No! *howls* Anywhere but HBO! I don't get HBO, much less cable :cry:!

Edited by erryyn, 13 March 2010 - 10:51 AM.
snapback

IPB Image
"Sanity is highly overrated."

#15 MirrorWakes

MirrorWakes

Detective

• Members+
  • 494 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:06 AM

I think Nora is smart to take the property elsewhere.  A series, especially on HBO would rock.  The networks (NBC, ABC, etal) wouldn't be able to do it justice.  There's always hope and yes, sometimes our imaginations are the best vehicles for the books.
DB  :roarkerules:

But if it's made into a TV series, us Aussies wouldn't get to see it! The ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corp) don't show Amarican programs :cry_1:
:shock:
Mirror

Edited by erryyn, 13 March 2010 - 10:52 AM.
snapback

Better a witty fool that a foolish wit.
- Twelfth Night

Hide not thy poison with sugar'd words.
- Henry VI, Part II

Out of my sight! Thou dost infect my eyes.
- Richard III

I was searching for a fool when I found you.
- As You Like It

Thou elvish-mark'd, abortive, rooting hog.
- Richard III

#16 Arwen

Arwen

Officer

• Members+
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:29 PM

To truly do it justice, it needs to be on HBO or Showtime, not a 'regular' television station. I mean really, can you imagine the violence of some of the crimes, plus Eve's langauge being cleaned up for Prime Time television? It just wouldn't be the same. I would prefer a HBO series like Sex in the City or 6 Feet Under. They could do a book per episode or two.

Especially since HBO is known for short seasons. (Less than 10 Weeks) The current books would last for a couple of Years! :rotfl:

JMHO
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.." - Douglas Noel Adams

#17 ruth

ruth

Chief

• Chief
  • 5,759 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 23 November 2004 - 03:08 PM

Evidently networks are starting to get into the habit of developing a series and then changing their minds even after they have a cast and episodes in the can. WB was supposed to be doing Darkshadows - they had cast, scripts already filmed and then decided they didn't want it and are trying to sell it to another station. Let's hope a cable channel picks up indeath idea and speeds along from there.

Without Order.............Chaos Without Rules.............Anarchy
userbar293553ez5.gif]norafanbar.gif
 roarkebar.gif

indeathfanbar.gifteam-edward.jpg

#18 Shawna

Shawna

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 666 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:52 PM

At least we're not getting a crappy script. Imagine how horrible it would be with all of this anticipation and it the script just stunk. Well I'm just hoping now it will be worth the wait. Until then, I'm content with reading the books. :)
When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping," now I just "chunky dunk."-Unknown...

Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
Elbert Hubbard

#19 lholmes

lholmes

Traffic Cop

• Members+
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:58 AM

I believe the same thing happened with Montana Sky and it fell through too.

#20 Guest_alicia_*

Guest_alicia_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2004 - 02:26 AM

I am sorry to hear about no movie, I am a new fan of the In Death books and this site, thanks to Raven. So i did not know about the movie till i started logging on to the site, but i was excited to hear there might have been a movie, maybe some time in the future. For now i have to get back to the books, i only read three books, i am just starting Rapture InDeath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users