#701 Travelover

Travelover

Detective

• Members+
  • 456 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

Drones will be delivering the food and robots will probably stock the shelves.

#702 wont

wont

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,108 posts

• Favorite Character: Whitney

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

Wow. We've all seen various versions of VR goggles for a few years now. This is the most explicit demonstration I've seen on how they really work. I have not tested any myself. Not only that, the newer generation of goggles, and the future predicted for the many uses is off the charts. I almost got motion sickness just watching the program. Looks like we are definitely on board to following Nora's vision. Again.

http://www.cbsnews.c...-reality-check/

#703 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 304 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira (Dennis, too)

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

Oh, rats!  I didn't even consider what this would do to my motion sickness.  I've been looking forward to Nora's visions and now realize that even at my advanced age, the sea-sickness history would come back to the present in a hot minute.  I'm still a little woozy from the little video clip with this story.   :faint:    :rant:

Lee

"I don't want to hear Mr. Mira in the same sentence with pasties."  Eve Dallas, Promises In Death

#704 wont

wont

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

Oh, rats!  I didn't even consider what this would do to my motion sickness.  I've been looking forward to Nora's visions and now realize that even at my advanced age, the sea-sickness history would come back to the present in a hot minute.  I'm still a little woozy from the little video clip with this story.   :faint:    :rant:

Yeah, it just about put me under as well. That problem was addressed in the story, but IMO they will have to refine it a great deal more before I'm on board. But, with these developments going on now, just think of where they will be when the time of ID rolls around. Wow! 

#705 IDFAN

IDFAN

Eve's stunt double for sex scenes

• Chief
  • 7,286 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt. Eve Dallas

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:45 AM

I can see VR for things like visiting an historical site or the medical implications as in the story. I don't see the whole multiple screens while still seeing the 'real' world. Like we aren't bombarded with enough information now. No thanks! And yes, I'm sure that gamers will enjoy the VR world, but I'm not into gaming anyway.  :P

Laie_42.gif

Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn. 

#706 ElectricOutcast2X

ElectricOutcast2X

Rookie

• Members+
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:10 AM

I can see VR for things like visiting an historical site or the medical implications as in the story. I don't see the whole multiple screens while still seeing the 'real' world. Like we aren't bombarded with enough information now. No thanks! And yes, I'm sure that gamers will enjoy the VR world, but I'm not into gaming anyway.  :P

First off, in terms of casual VR use I'd actually much rather be like Eve and Roarke and see the places personally and not rely on computers to do it. Even before all this came to fruition I had that mindset, that said in terms of me actually using VR Goggles on anything, on one hand I'm a little scared but on the other hand, I'm also intrigued at the possibility of using them in like a Haunted House setting or maybe underwater looking for fake treasure.

The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People but Between One Person and Himself- Garth Brooks

#707 IDFAN

IDFAN

Eve's stunt double for sex scenes

• Chief
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:22 AM

I've done a lot of traveling and it's certainly my preferred method to experience things, but I was thinking that if you read an article on a specific place and didn't have the time and resources to go there, VR would be a good way to at least semi-experience it. 

Laie_42.gif

Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn. 

#708 wont

wont

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:41 AM

I would love the idea of using VR to visit someplace I was interested in. Definitely various countries in Europe, and probably Egypt. To feel that you're seeing so many historical sites without the hassle of travel, or the danger today's world offers. To be able see the great museums in many countries.  I like that potential quite a bit. 

#709 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 304 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira (Dennis, too)

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:11 AM

I would love the idea of using VR to visit someplace I was interested in. Definitely various countries in Europe, and probably Egypt. To feel that you're seeing so many historical sites without the hassle of travel, or the danger today's world offers. To be able see the great museums in many countries.  I like that potential quite a bit. 

But what about the food?  One of the main reasons I loved the places I visited was the wonderful foooood!!  A VR trip to the South of France would just make me hungry for that wonderful roast chicken, etc., we had.   :cheers:

Lee

"I don't want to hear Mr. Mira in the same sentence with pasties."  Eve Dallas, Promises In Death

#710 wont

wont

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:41 AM

But what about the food?  One of the main reasons I loved the places I visited was the wonderful foooood!!  A VR trip to the South of France would just make me hungry for that wonderful roast chicken, etc., we had.   :cheers:

A definite trade-off, but to avoid all the aspects of travel I don't like, I would take that trade. Lots of variety in restaurants around town. I'll go for take-out and stay home.  :original:

#711 wont

wont

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

Whoa. We've had lots of discussion on the evolution toward droids, and though this article doesn't exactly point to that, I think this is a giant step in that direction. That this is at this stage now, I just have to say again, Whoa! 

http://newatlas.com/...3472ac-91553745

#712 ElectricOutcast2X

ElectricOutcast2X

Rookie

• Members+
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

Those droids looked like something you'd see out of Ghost in the Shell

The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People but Between One Person and Himself- Garth Brooks

#713 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,344 posts

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

Whoa. We've had lots of discussion on the evolution toward droids, and though this article doesn't exactly point to that, I think this is a giant step in that direction. That this is at this stage now, I just have to say again, Whoa! 

http://newatlas.com/...3472ac-91553745

Scary stuff.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#714 Nandi

Nandi

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:47 PM

I know we're seeing self driving vehicles lately these days, but I always wonder about them. Especially when I'm reading one of the books where someone will go airborne. What happens if other drivers have the same thought? So far we've never seen that  type of accident in the books , but in reality we know it will happen  at some point, add in road rage and cars will be falling out of the sky. :rant:

Evil thrives when good men do nothing...... So do something. :original: Peabody,with me!! :eka: and :roarkerules: NANDI

#715 wont

wont

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

I know we're seeing self driving vehicles lately these days, but I always wonder about them. Especially when I'm reading one of the books where someone will go airborne. What happens if other drivers have the same thought? So far we've never seen that  type of accident in the books , but in reality we know it will happen  at some point, add in road rage and cars will be falling out of the sky. :rant:

I remember a couple of times Eve describing taxis crunching in the air. I also remember something with maxi-buses. I believe Morris was working on a body, with a backup at the morgue because there had been a collision in the air and bodies falling, or something like that. Shudders. As for the taxis, I think the cars got the worst of it. The drivers were well enough to yell and fight it out in the street after landing. No idea which book these happened in. 

#716 Nandi

Nandi

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

True enough and I remember reading those incidences in the books now that you mention them. Mainly I guess I was trying to relate in our very real time these days. With people being such a hurry, then you add in all the road rage today where anything seem to set people off. We're not as enlightened these days as they appear in  the ID world.  

I'm reminded of an incident a couple of weeks ago when this grandmother cut this driver off on the freeway in Little Rock, Arkansas. The guy was angry enough to fire a shot into her car, which, in the end killed her two year old grandson who was in the backseat in his little car seat. I'm just not sure we're evolved enough for cars that can go airborne in case of a pile up. Especially if everyone else decides to do the same thing at the same time. Then add in road rage? Chaos and carnage will surely follow. :faint:
Evil thrives when good men do nothing...... So do something. :original: Peabody,with me!! :eka: and :roarkerules: NANDI

#717 wont

wont

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:11 AM

Yeah the road rage is scary. Of course we do read about Eve, almost in every book, having to separate taxi drivers duking it out, or enraged drivers, or the food cart vendors jumping up and down and trying to slug it out with someone who grazed their cart. I agree, it's almost standard   now (and that's sick in itself) for the daily news to report an incident of road rage. It's sort of depressing to think this doesn't get any better. Sigh. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users