#41 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,704 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:09 PM

The beginnings of "In Death"-Style car computer systems are emerging now. A few weeks ago at the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas, a company called StreetDeck introduced the first "in-car computer system," also called StreetDeck. Here's a screenshot from the main computer screen:

Attached File  streetdeck.jpg   48.41KB   39 downloads

Basically, this is a computer with a touch screen that can be installed into your car, and gives you the option to do just about anything you might want to do in your car including: AM/FM Radio, Satillite Radio, CD, DVD, MP3, Navigation, Vehicle performance and diagnostics readouts, Webcam support (I'm assuming this would be for larger cars so that you can mount a camera to the back for higher visability, though, I suppose you could use it on the sides as well so you can see all around your car.)

It can be programmed to accept voice commands, can interface with wireless phones and other wireless devices. It has what they're calling "wireless syncing" which means: "All media files can be automatically updated based when the vehicle is within range of the user's home computer through WiFi networking." (kind of like any files Eve needing from home or work being able to be put onto her car's computer.)

Just by the nature of this, the possibilities seem endless.

AJ

#42 Arwen

Arwen

Officer

• Members+
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

Everytime I see the new Blackberry or Treo commercials I think of Peabody getting information on her PPC. The ability to access the internet at any time. I can do that with Hotspots on my PDA, but the new ones that use Blue Tooth technology are doing it any time.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.." - Douglas Noel Adams

#43 Donna

Donna

Inspector

• Chief
  • 6,702 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:32 PM

Everytime I see the new Blackberry or Treo commercials I think of Peabody getting information on her PPC. The ability to access the internet at any time. I can do that with Hotspots on my PDA, but the new ones that use Blue Tooth technology are doing it any time.

Goog gravy, am I OLD !!! I don't know what Treo, Hotspots or Blue Tooth are!
Posted Image
"He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...)

Women are much like angels. When you break our wings we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why so many people appear to be bright until they open their mouths.

Diva of In Death

#44 TheSneezingLobster

TheSneezingLobster

Officer

• Members+
  • 266 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:42 AM

I want an AutoChef, and holo-room, and VR toys, and an adroid, and a gel bed, and a drying tube, and house with privacy screens, and that fancy medical wand that fixes minor injuries, and the medical vaccines, and face & body sculpting, and some of theose fancy cosmetics, and some Sober-Up just in case I decide to try one of those fancy drinks, and and and :P

Sneezy
"You're going to need a bigger boat...." - Sheriff Brody, Jaws

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it!" - Super Chicken

#45 Fallon Galilee

Fallon Galilee

Rookie

• Members+
  • 159 posts

• Favorite Character: Peabody

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:53 AM

I'd like an airboard. Those are neat. And they've got hover thingys now, don't go very high, but technology is progressing!
-- Amanda --

"We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears. We must not demean life by standing in awe of death" -- David Starnoff

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily. -- Napoleon

Currently -- Finished with Strangers. Listening to Origin on audio, until the library has an available copy of Strangers available

#46 Cassady

Cassady

Officer

• Members+
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:31 AM

I'll second that! Have not the faintest idea :(

#47 katie

katie

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:03 AM

Here's something that we haven't seen in the ID world, but I wonder if Roarke has one anyway?

http://www.badacetec...titouchreel.mpg

I want one!!!

katie

#48 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

Very cool, Katie! I can totally see this having a place in the "In Death" world. What if Eve's "board" that she puts the victims photos up on is actually a screen like this? Would make much more sense, since most of the information is stored digitally. Of course, it would depend on whether or not a NYC police station has the money for such a technology.

I wonder if Nora does any kind of research into emerging technologies like this. Maybe I should start a thread like this on ADWOFF?? :shades:

AJ

#49 Cassady

Cassady

Officer

• Members+
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:58 PM

Shoot! Couldn't get anything but a white screen. I'm imaging a board, like the standard black board on wheels but digital?

#50 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:58 PM

You might all find it interesting to see the winners of the Imagine the Home in 2020 contest at DesignBoom.com There are some really interesting product concepts there.

AJ

#51 IrishAggie

IrishAggie

Rookie

• Members+
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:46 PM

I'll be in honest, the whole robot thinks freaks me out. That could be because I hate computers as much as Eve does and robots are computers, but still. Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for some technological advances, such as those in the medical field, but some I think life would be fine without. Maybe I've just watched the Matrix way too many times....

#52 Shayde

Shayde

Deputy Inspector

• Members+
  • 3,108 posts

• Favorite Character: Summerset

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:12 PM

Very cool, Katie! I can totally see this having a place in the "In Death" world. What if Eve's "board" that she puts the victims photos up on is actually a screen like this? Would make much more sense, since most of the information is stored digitally. Of course, it would depend on whether or not a NYC police station has the money for such a technology.

If you think about it, the cost of such technologies should be afordable by the time 2059 comes about. So a board like this (Though I think of her murder board as nothing more technical than a standard wooden board that Dallas sticks things to with either pins or the futurisic version of blu-tac!) should be within the budgets of the police by that time.
Mind you, all this is touch screen technology yes? So what happens if there's a power cut? Just how do you access the information you're needing if there's no buttons to press?!!
He says he's clever, suave and devilishly handsome. 'Tis a shame he's also a liar....

#53 boats

boats

Captain

• Members+
  • 2,208 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt Eve Dallas.

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:53 AM

The vessels that I work on now have the AIS (Automated Identification System). It IDs the vessel as it enters a vessel traffic system. But it don't ID the Capt and crew yet... but I'm sure that is coming down the line in a few years.
You look at the On Star system on some vehicles and LoJack systems also... More and more of today's cell phones are having GPS (global positioning system) installed in them, where you can dial 911 and they can track where the phone is at.

Modern technology is rapidly taking over our world...

There are kids today who don't know where milk comes from and don't know which end of the cow to milk if they tried. That is life today.

Do you know which end?? What other animals do mankind use for milk production??
These are an opinions of a man and may differ from all others; Please don't hunt him down and cause bodily harm.

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain:
If I can ease one life the aching,
or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I sall not live in vain.
Emily Dickinson

#54 Donna

Donna

Inspector

• Chief
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:44 PM

Here's something that we haven't seen in the ID world, but I wonder if Roarke has one anyway?

http://www.badacetec...titouchreel.mpg

I want one!!!

katie

Looks like that "mood screen" from In Death.
Posted Image
"He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...)

Women are much like angels. When you break our wings we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why so many people appear to be bright until they open their mouths.

Diva of In Death

#55 amanda_tlg

amanda_tlg

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

I'll be in honest, the whole robot thinks freaks me out. That could be because I hate computers as much as Eve does and robots are computers, but still. Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for some technological advances, such as those in the medical field, but some I think life would be fine without. Maybe I've just watched the Matrix way too many times....

I'm with you on that. The Matrix, I, Robot, A.I., etc. I like interacting with real humans who have human emotions, instincts, etc. Now I know the human race has done some pretty crappy things over time, but I still couldn't get myself to like or trust a jumble of electronics with a prosetronic brain. If I was as Rich as E & R, I'd just hire a housekeeper.
Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here. -Jack Nicholson, As Good As It Gets

#56 WindSeeker

WindSeeker

Detective

• Members+
  • 548 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve, Galahad, or Summerset

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:05 PM

I wanted to share something with you guys.

As a graduate of The Seeing Eye (the oldest dog guide school in America) I get an electronic magazine from them every so often, and they have new and informative stuff involving the blind community. Anyway, one new invention

Its a bit long though so...
An odd use of the Spoiler tag, but it can only be found in my email, its long, and I obviously can;'t link to it.. XD

Spoiler

I'd like to go on a similar trip this year, but it will probably happen during school time, but oh, it would be so awesome!

#57 librarygal

librarygal

Rookie

• Members+
  • 143 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:41 AM

OMG! A body dryer! :faint: It is like the 2050s! I think I could even get up easier in the mornings if I had one of those!

Kip
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"
--Herm Albright (1876-1944)

#58 Donna

Donna

Inspector

• Chief
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:06 AM

OMG! A body dryer! :faint: It is like the 2050s! I think I could even get up easier in the mornings if I had one of those!

Kip

Me, too! I would love a drying tube.
Posted Image

Diva of In Death

#59 Ethan

Ethan

Traffic Cop

• Members+
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:26 PM

Sounds great. I can't wait for the autochef!!! Do you think you have to make all those dinners to stock the autochef and then it just heats it up like a microwave or do you think it actually makes the selected dish and you just stock it with ingredients?

An autochef is the one invention i would love to have as well. :chef:

#60 mskitty916

mskitty916

Detective

• Members+
  • 463 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:33 PM

don't feel bad ruth i have no idea what they are either :)

I want an AutoChef, and holo-room, and VR toys, and an adroid, and a gel bed, and a drying tube, and house with privacy screens, and that fancy medical wand that fixes minor injuries, and the medical vaccines, and face & body sculpting, and some of theose fancy cosmetics, and some Sober-Up just in case I decide to try one of those fancy drinks, and and and :P

Sneezy

i'm with you on that it would be so nice if we could have all that stuff in the present however i wouldn't want a droid or the cosmetics but everything else would be just great...don't forget vertical lift on the cars too!

my photos: http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/natstan/

Eat a live toad for breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users