Photo

What are you currently listening to (audio books)?

• Please log in to reply
1985 replies to this topic

#41 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,624 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Detective Peabody

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:19 PM

I finished Jayne Ann Krentz's "Lost and Found" yesterday, and this morning I started the audio of "The Villa." I know a lot of people don't like that one, but I put it on the middle of my Nora list--don't love it but don't hate it.
It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

Eloisa James, Three Weeks With Lady X

#42 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:05 PM

I've finished The Villa and now I'm on Hidden Riches. This one is in Bookcassette format, it's my first.

According to Brilliance Audio:

Bookcassette brand audiobooks puts three hours of listening on each tape -- twice the normal amount! Since we record the story separately on the right and left tracks of stereo tape, you must give your tapeplayer's headphones the ability to isolate each speaker through the use of the Bookcassette Adapter.

The Bookcassette Adapter gives you balance control on your headphones and is so easy to use -- plug it into the stereo jack of your personal tapeplayer and then plug your headphones into the other side. The Bookcassette Adapter Works ONLY on Stereo Tapeplayers.

Which I think sounds more complicated than it is. Basically, I have an unabridged book on five cassettes instead of ten (The Villa was ten cassettes) and I had to use this little adaptor that plugs into my walkman and my headphones plug into it. I start with the adaptor on "A" and this morning I listened to side one of the first tape, and then turned it over for side two. When I finish side two, I re-plug my headphones into the "B" side of the adaptor and listen to side one again.

I thought I would be hearing sound only in one ear but it's not, the sound is stereo. There is sometimes a little background noise, I guess from the other side of the cassette, if the volume is higher, and I had to turn off the 'mega bass' setting on the walkman to make it work. Otherwise, I haven't noticed a difference in this and a 'regular' cassette. One difference, though, bookcassette formats are usually cheaper. I got my adaptor from Brilliance Audio's website, it cost about five bucks.
It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

#43 Tweetie

Tweetie

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 902 posts

• Favorite Character: McNabb

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:33 PM

Saw "The Crush" by Sandra Brown on cassette tape yesterday at TJ Max for $2.99.

Too bad I don't have a tape recorder so I can listen to it. :cry_1: My car doesn't even have it either.
Thuy (pronounced like "Twee")
AKA Party Queen
AKA Mama Thuy or Mrs. Stephen's Mom

#44 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:20 PM

I just got The Crush on eBay. I held off on it for a long time cause I'm just not sure about Tom Wopat doing the reading. But I got five books from one seller, good prices and reduced shipping. Now I'll have enough audios till Christmas probably!

Right now I'm on Grand Passion by Jayne Ann Krentz. I gave up on Hidden Riches, I liked the book but the audio was a dull thud, probably more to do with my own mood than the reader, who didn't annoy me and seemed to be doing an ok job.

#45 judykentrus

judykentrus

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 701 posts

• Favorite Character: Dr. Charlotte Mira

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:08 PM

I have all of the InD books that have been recorded on MP3 CD's. They are all unabridged on one CD. You have to have an MP3 player. Unfortunately the CD's will not play on ordinary CD players, including the ones in cars - I know mine doesn't work because I tried to play it and got an error message. I like them because you have the entire book on one disc. I listen to the books while cleaning, or commuting. I get Eve and Roarke I way I can. . .
JUDY

#46 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:43 PM

I started the Quinn brothers this weekend.

These are on bookcassettes--the kind that are double-sided and need the adaptor. First tape of Sea Swept went fine, listened to "A" side one then side two and then changed to the other speaker and did the "B" side one and side two again. On the "A" of the second tape, the sound kept kind of coming in and out, it would be ok, then go quieter, then get louder. Annoying but bearable. Then I got to the second "A" side of the tape and although I could hear what I should have been hearing as an undertone, I was getting what seemed like it should be the "B" side. I tried switching the speakers thinking maybe it had been taped wrong but it didn't help, I still had the undertone and then it turned out that both "B" sides of the tape were the same. Very odd. I finally gave up and put on the third cassette. Since I've already read the book, I know what's going on even with skipping ahead. But it is annoying!

When I got to work, I went to Audiobookstand.com and ordered a fresh copy, non-Bookcassette version, fortunately on sale, and I also picked up a cassette version of Chesapeake Blue. My current audio on that is CDs but this way the series will match and I can go straight through without having to switch players. And that was on sale, too, so I guess that's kind of the silver lining to the cloud. But still-aauugghhh!!! :lol:

#47 Miss In Death

Miss In Death

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,020 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke and Peabody

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:57 PM

I'm currently on The Hobbit, but I'm almost finished. I'm going to start listening to Barbara Taylor Bradford after. :eka: :roarkerules: :cheers:
-Sharita
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:51 PM

Well, the third tape of Sea Swept was also corrupted, so I gave up and switched to the Key trilogy today cause I couldn't decide on one of the new ones I got from the books on tape sale. But I love the Key trilogy so it's not a hardship. :P

#49 Donna

Donna

Inspector

• Chief
  • 6,702 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:13 AM

I'm currently listening to Portrait in Death.
I hate that not all the In Death books are on CD's and UAB.
I really didn't like the abridged version of Conspiracy In Death.
Posted Image
"He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...)

Women are much like angels. When you break our wings we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why so many people appear to be bright until they open their mouths.

Diva of In Death

#50 darortega

darortega

Officer

• Members+
  • 291 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:44 AM

I'm making my way thru Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. All the books are big, so the audios are around 20 CD's long. I put off getting the first book because they're a little pricey - about $60. But because they last for so long, it's like getting two books, so it all comes out in the end. And I'm worth it! :cheer:

Dar
I'm stealing this because I thought it was funny:

"I don't have any links, clever sayings, or a string of emoticons. If I hadn't typed any of this, I'd not have a sig at all. I'm still debating the merits of a sig. I'll let you know what I've come up with when the deliberations are over."

IPB Image

#51 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:49 PM

I've just finished the Quinn trilogy and this morning started Chesapeake Blue. It's disconcerting--the first two books were read, and very well, by David Stuart. Then the third was done by Guy Lemonier, who was good but not as good as Stuart plus I got used to the voices the way Stuart did them. And now this one is done by James Daniels so it's yet another voice to get used to. That happens of course whenever I go from one book to another but for a trilogy or series, I like the same narrator throughout. Like Simon Prebble who does the Cynster books, he's got a great voice.

#52 Miss In Death

Miss In Death

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,020 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke and Peabody

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:05 PM

I'm still listening to Holiday In Death. I haven't finished it yet! :eka: :roarkerules:
-Sharita
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 Bailey

Bailey

Rookie

• Members+
  • 104 posts

• Favorite Character: McNab

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:39 PM

I'm listening to Kathy Reichs Death Du Jour. It's on cassette and the only cassette player I own is in my car so it's taking me a while to get through it, lol.
"The more people I meet the more I like my dog." - Unknown

#54 sloane

sloane

Rookie

• Members+
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:02 PM

Imitation in Death. This is probably the 8th or 9th ID book I've done on tape/CD, all from Brilliance. I am continually impressed by Susan Erickson. She does a stand-up job as Eve, et al.

Eve: "Man. God. Roarke."
Roarke: "An interesting and flattering line-up."
- J.D. Robb

"Francesca had never fallen in love before. She knew she would never do so again."
- Brenda Joyce, Deadly Caress

#55 amanda_tlg

amanda_tlg

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 604 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:14 PM

I have all 6 Harry Potters that I keep handy. At night, the twins, the baby and I cuddle up and listen to a couple 'chapters'. The only problem we have with them is we have four read by an American (don't know who) and the other two by a woman from England. The accent is tricky for the boys sometimes. I don't really mind, because when I read the books I tend to forget the characters are British and really would speak in those accents. Hearing someone speak it brings it back. (Plus, the British woman does a wicked McGonagall, almost as good as Maggie Smith in the movies)
Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here. -Jack Nicholson, As Good As It Gets

#56 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

Huh. I thought Jim Dale, who is English, had done all the Harry Potter books.

#57 Donna

Donna

Inspector

• Chief
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:49 AM

I'm still listening to Holiday In Death. I haven't finished it yet! :eka: :roarkerules:

I'm listening to Holiday In Death now, too!
I'm on leave now, for the next 2 months and plan to listen to all the In Death audiobooks that I own.
Posted Image
"He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...)

Women are much like angels. When you break our wings we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why so many people appear to be bright until they open their mouths.

Diva of In Death

#58 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:42 PM

I'm on Chesapeake Blue now and already dreading when I come to the end of the Quinns. :cry_1:

#59 Ms Joy

Ms Joy

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:50 PM

I've been listening to Joseph Campbell's "Power of Myth". I love his stuff, loved "Mythology and the Individual" and "Inward Journey: East and West". But I've been eyeing my old InDeath books on tape, and will probably start listening to them again -- after I finish reading Memory...

It's not how many times you fall down. It's whether or not you get back up.

#60 amanda_tlg

amanda_tlg

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:55 PM

Huh. I thought Jim Dale, who is English, had done all the Harry Potter books.

My brother bought ones done by Dale, and I've only heard snippets of them. My mom got ours on eBay, so I have no clue where they came from. Like I said, the American ones are just okay, but the British woman has a voice that makes it really hard to stop listening.
Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here. -Jack Nicholson, As Good As It Gets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users