Photo

What are you currently listening to (audio books)?

• Please log in to reply
1985 replies to this topic

#21 Miss In Death

Miss In Death

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,020 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Roarke and Peabody

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:30 PM

I'm listening to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in Talking Book Form (A service for the disabled and the blind.) Also, listening to Holiday in Death in regular Audio Cassette form. :eka: :roarkerules: :cheers:
-Sharita
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 larsonkoala2

larsonkoala2

Roarke was a fictional character until I saw Hugh Jackman

• Chief
  • 2,641 posts

• Favorite Character: roarke, then a distant second, webster(who is mine), a very distance third, jen's baxter

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:44 PM

i'm listening to origin in death. it is great to have something on the radio that you enjoy when you are driving.

nancy
eve: man. god. roarke.

roarke: an interesting and flattering line up.

webster is mine because I said so

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

clairee to ouiser: i love you more than my luggage. from the movie steel magnolias.

ouiser: i'm not crazy. i have been in a bad mood for 40 years. steel magnolias.

barbosa; the world use to be a bigger place.
jack sparrow: the world is still the same. there is just less in it.

pirates of the carribean: at world's end.

you want to feel pain, try wearing a corset. elizabeth swan, pirates of the caribbean:curse of the black pearl

on july 22, 2006, i lost my best friend, and sister of my heart, belinda(1950-2006). rest in peace lady. your other half of brain still and always will miss you . Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 DallasLTEvefan

DallasLTEvefan

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,907 posts

• Favorite Character: Peabody, Dallas, and Dr. Mira

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:45 PM

I am Listening to the night before by Lisa Jackson, I haven't gotten into yet. I hope it picks up.

I am also Listening to 4th of july by James Patterson, I just got started with it, so far it seems interesting.
I cannot live without books.--Thomas Jefferson

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.--Eleanore Roosevelt

#24 karalea

karalea

Officer

• Members+
  • 298 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:09 PM

Right now it is Survivor in Death

#25 chapler27

chapler27

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,239 posts

• Favorite Character: Peabody

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:32 AM

I have the book, "Dead Sleep" by Greg Isles on CD. I have been hesitant to listen to it. I'm planning on starting it tomorrow, actually, since my son will be with his father until Sunday afternoon.

Has anyone heard of this book?

AJ ... should this be a separate thread?

:hug:
Laurie

Round Three: 23.4

Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 blewSqurrl

blewSqurrl

Civilian

• Non-Active Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:02 PM

I am listening to Skinny Dip by Carl Hiassen. So far so good. It is recorded books and I like their narrators.

#27 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,624 posts

• Favorite Character: Detective Peabody

Posted 10 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

Riley is one of my favorite characters so I'd have no problem doing that. Unfortunately, he's a fictional character!

My current audio is Linda Howard's To Die For.  Funny book, and the reader is doing a good job with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Read To Die For. It's sooooooo funny. I'm not much on listening to audio books cuz I feel like it might ruin it for me if the reader's voice is not what I expected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I've read it. Liked it so much I also bought the audio.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm finding I like this audio a lot. The reader, Franette Liebow, is doing a Southern accent, and she is acting out the part rather than just reading it, which really brings Blair to life. When I read, I don't tend to 'hear' accents in my head. If anyone hasn't read or listened to this book, I highly recommend it either way.
It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

Eloisa James, Three Weeks With Lady X

#28 Guest_yasminr25_*

Guest_yasminr25_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:58 PM

I've never heard an audio book. What's it like? Can you hear the individual characters speak or is it just one person reading the whole book?

#29 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:26 PM

That depends on the book. Most of the time, it's one person, who may or may not do different voices for the characters. I've had a book where a male and female did all of their dialogue (um..he read males, she read females, my brain must be dead that i can't think how to put that...) and alternated descriptive passages. And I've had some where the reader reminded me of what my first grade nun told us--"put some expression into it!" when we were reading aloud--some readers just, well, read. No acting out, no expression. :2cents:

I like the way Susan Ericksen does the In Death books, though I do admit to hating her Roarke. Bernadette Quigley did Three Fates and I liked it a lot. But Patricia McDaniels did the Gallagher trilogy and I hated it so much I never got through the first cassette of the first book. Ditto for Dean Robertson who ruined..uh, read Carolina Moon.

I find if a book is done by Brilliance Audio or by Recorded Books, I'm usually happy with it.

If you are interested in trying audio books, I'd suggest going to eBay and buying a used copy. New, they are as expensive or more expensive than a hard cover at full price.
It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

#30 Miss In Death

Miss In Death

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,020 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke and Peabody

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:14 PM

I'm taking a break from Harry Potter right now. I've started This Caulder Range by Janet Dailey with my Talking Books. :eka: :roarkerules: :cheers:
-Sharita
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 Guest_yasminr25_*

Guest_yasminr25_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:24 PM

That depends on the book.  Most of the time, it's one person, who may or may not do different voices for the characters.  I've had a book where a male and female did all of their dialogue (um..he read males, she read females, my brain must be dead that i can't think how to put that...) and alternated descriptive passages.  And I've had some where the reader reminded me of what my first grade nun told us--"put some expression into it!" when we were reading aloud--some readers just, well, read. No acting out, no expression.  :2cents:

I like the way Susan Ericksen does the In Death books, though I do admit to hating her Roarke.  Bernadette Quigley did Three Fates and I liked it a lot.  But Patricia McDaniels did the Gallagher trilogy and I hated it so much I never got through the first cassette of the first book.  Ditto for Dean Robertson who ruined..uh, read Carolina Moon.

I find if a book is done by Brilliance Audio or by Recorded Books, I'm usually happy with it.

If you are interested in trying audio books, I'd suggest going to eBay and buying a used copy.  New, they are as expensive or more expensive than a hard cover at full price.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot Carol!! :hug: I'm gonna pop into my local library and see if I can find some there. Plus, their free! :) well, I hope they are....

#32 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:32 PM

I don't use my library as often as I should because the location and hours aren't really convenient for me. My sister is lucky, there's a branch right across the street from her office building, but the closest to my office is six blocks away. That's kind of far for a lunch hour trip, barely time to browse before I'd have to be rushing back to work.

#33 Guest_yasminr25_*

Guest_yasminr25_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:34 PM

My library is a bit far aswell. I have to take time off work to go.

#34 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:21 PM

I finished the audio of To Die For, read by Franette Liebow and I recommend it as highly as I do the book, she did a really great reading, had me giggling on the subway. :lol:

This morning, I've started another Linda Howard, Kiss Me While I Sleep, read by Joyce Bean and Dick Hill. So far, good.

#35 amanda_tlg

amanda_tlg

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:55 PM

I don't use my library as often as I should because the location and hours aren't really convenient for me.  My sister is lucky, there's a branch right across the street from her office building, but the closest to my office is six blocks away.  That's kind of far for a lunch hour trip, barely time to browse before I'd have to be rushing back to work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Carole, try this. See if your library has an online card catalog. I usually do my browsing at home. I can place requests for inter-library loans, and write down the cc numbers of books that my library has a copy of. The website for our area is amazingly detailed. It doesn't hurt to try!
Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here. -Jack Nicholson, As Good As It Gets

#36 Dalaney

Dalaney

Officer

• Members+
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:58 AM

I've been seeing this thread pop up for months now but never ventured in. I haven't used books on CD or audio tapes and I was just wondering why you all love them and if I wanted to start listening to them what would you recommend I start with?

Dalaney

"Love never dies, just changes."-- Me
"Dream as if the world was your's for the taking, live as if it were the dream."--Random thought of the day.

#37 amanda_tlg

amanda_tlg

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:25 PM

I've been seeing this thread pop up for months now but never ventured in. I haven't used books on CD or audio tapes and I was just wondering why you all love them and if I wanted to start listening to them what would you recommend I start with?

Dalaney

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's easy! Start with what you love. I've gotten my IDs on both tape & CD from the library. Personally, I'm from the school of holding the book in my hand to read it, so I don't generally venture into audio or e-books. However, there's times I get frustrated that I can't read (cooking dinner, folding laundry, at the pool) when these come in really handy. I only own a few (A couple of IDs, Harry Potter, Stephen King and Thomas Harris) but I've listened to them over and over. You might want to borrow from the library before you shell out the $$, just in case you don't like the format. (If the genre suits you, Kathy Bates' reading of The Silence of The Lambs is unbelievable!)
Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here. -Jack Nicholson, As Good As It Gets

#38 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:28 PM

I've said this so many times, I'm a broken record but here goes--I like audios for commuting. It is nearly impossible to read on a bus or subway if you haven't got a seat, which happens often to me during the school year when kids and their backpacks take up so much space. Instead of gritting my teeth and being annoyed, I listen to a good book. Also good for doing errands, housework, whatever. Anytime you need your hands free but want to be entertained. (Hm...ok, I am sure I'm not the only smutty mind who thought of a time when you need your hands free but :naughty: ...never mind.)

As for recommendations, I'd say listen to whoever you might read--most top authors are available on audio--Nora/JD Robb, Sandra Brown, Linda Howard, Jayne Ann Krentz, etc. You will probably find that you like some readers and that others annoy you. I avoid Richard Poe, Dean Robertson and Patricia Daniels because I just don't like their voices or delivery. But someone else may love them. It's kind of trial and error.

#39 karalea

karalea

Officer

• Members+
  • 298 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:52 PM

I used to drive an hour and fifteen minutes each way for work and the audio books kept me from going even more crazy than I allready am.

#40 amanda_tlg

amanda_tlg

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 604 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:34 AM

I never liked audio books if I was the one doing the driving. I'm a lousy enough driver without any more distractions! But while doing housework (folding laundry & cooking dinner are the big two) I like to have a CD ready. My kids have taken to listening to Harry Potter with me, even if we're not doing anything other than playing with PLay-Doh or putting together a puzzle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users