Photo

WHY should Eve and Roarke have kids?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
170 replies to this topic

#1 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:07 PM

Let me start out by saying that I'm not anti-kid. But I really do not understand the ferocity of some fans who think Eve not being pregnant is, well, the end of civilization as we know it. So please, explain to me, very specifically, why you want Eve to get pregnant and what you think it would add to the storyline of a series of books that is, let's face it, about murder, usually serial murders, usually very brutal serial murders.

Fries before guys, foods before dudes.

#2 jami61

jami61

Officer

• Members+
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:44 PM

I dont understand it either why so many want her to have a baby. Im not ready for them to have a child, not that im anti kid either but I dont want it to happen anytime soon. I think it would be the end of the series Eve would not be able to do her job anymore not they way shes used to anyway. Sorry Caroleb not the answer you were looking for but I dont understand why either.

Jami

#3 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:45 PM

That's ok, Jami, it's nice to know I'm not alone! :)

#4 LaVita

LaVita

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:57 PM

I'm not anti-kid either (and I have the stories to back it up), but I don't think it should be included in the series. She would not be able to do her job -- mainly because she would have a kid to worry about. I think I said it best in my last one where she's talking to Feeney "How can I go out there, and piss off the next psycho without worrying that he's gonna grab my kid?"

I could see her and Roarke having kids when she becomes a captain, but at this rate -- it'll be at the end of the series. So I think that would be a good time to spring it on us -- many many MANY years from now.
What is a sane person suppose to do in an insane world? Joseph Heller (author of CATCH 22)

The only difference between genius and insanity is timing. ~Taking Over the Asylum

"Life is struggle, and if you should ever feel really happy -- be patient. This too shall pass." ~Garrison Keller

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde

#5 Miss In Death

Miss In Death

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:57 PM

I'm beginning to think that I don't want Eve & Roarke to have babies either! Especially boys! :eka: :roarkerules: :cheers:
-Sharita
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 LaVita

LaVita

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:24 PM

I'm beginning to think that I don't want Eve & Roarke to have babies either! Especially boys! :eka: :roarkerules: :cheers:

:clapping: :clapping: :lol: :lol: Sudden image of Eve acting like the mother from Malcolm in the Middle.
What is a sane person suppose to do in an insane world? Joseph Heller (author of CATCH 22)

The only difference between genius and insanity is timing. ~Taking Over the Asylum

"Life is struggle, and if you should ever feel really happy -- be patient. This too shall pass." ~Garrison Keller

#7 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:30 PM

O-kay! I like the support, really I do!

But my question is for people who WANT Eve and Roarke to have kids--I want to know why you feel so strongly about it, why do you want them to have kids?

That being said, I know others will probably disagree, but I must confess I am of the pro-Eve and Roarke having a baby. ItĚs a natural assumption: love + marriage = eventually children.

That's from an older post by Charina.
And personally, I always enjoy sequels to, or connected romance novels in which we find out how the earlier couples are doing, do they have kids, etc.--I love Mackenzie's Pleasure and A Game of Chance cause we get to know that Joe and Caroline have five sons, we meet Nick and the twins, etc. So yeah, kids are a nice way to show a marriage is doing well.

But WHY Eve and Roarke? WHY should they have kids? WHY do you want kids to be part of the In Death series?

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for here--the topic of why doesn't Eve get pregnant is a hot and popular one, and there are lots of reasons people say 'no', mostly I think because Nora has said pregnancy will end the series and we don't want it to end. But I know there's a lot of people who do want a pregnancy that doesn't end the series, so explain to me why you want it to happen.

#8 GalahadJoe

GalahadJoe

Detective

• Members+
  • 574 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 04:19 PM

personally for me i would not mind if they never had kids but even if they do it would be cool also.
Every warrior's Life is but a moment...

#9 Guest_Shortgirl_*

Guest_Shortgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2005 - 04:48 PM

I am anti-child. lol. Not really, but I don't have very many maternal bones in my body. I don't like babies.. I don't gush over them and I try to avoid holding them or touching them if possible.

I don't want children of my own, but I don't mind other people's kids.

With that being said, I think children can't come into the picture for Eve/Roarke until they have both completely dealt with their pasts. Eve needs to face her "mother" issues and Roarke needs to get over his guilt about his mom.

I also think NR has teased us with the idea of kids for the couple to throw a kink in the chain. Roarke wants kids, Eve does not. I think maybe she's tossing it in there to give us a new kind of tension between the two.

A side note... if/when kids ever does happen for our happy couple can you imagine what the nursery would look like? I imagine that would be one poppa that would go over board.

#10 Tweetie

Tweetie

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 902 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 04:55 PM

Carole, you know no-one is going to answer this question! All I'm reading is "why they shouldn't".
Thuy (pronounced like "Twee")
AKA Party Queen
AKA Mama Thuy or Mrs. Stephen's Mom

#11 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:06 PM

I see what you mean, Tweetie. Because of that I'm going to now close down this thread, it's turning into a duplicate.

#12 eatsbrains

eatsbrains

Civilian

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

I think that they should have kids, but not right now. It would really change their dynamic, I don't think their ready for that right now. While I like to think about it, I think it might even effect their relation ship in a bad way. So someday, maybe two years.

Jeeps,
Why would anybody want to ride in a tent on the highway?
I mean seriously, there are about 3 windows in a Jeep,
Well, real windows anyway, the others are plastic,
Riding in the back is like if you kept your cheeks really lax, and then shake your head really hard.
That's what it sounds like,
It's like a trampoline, and I seriously doubt there is actually any heat in one of those things.
Contrary to what anyone else says, it's always cold.!

#13 WindSeeker

WindSeeker

Detective

• Members+
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

Ok. I'm in the pro kid crowd, but not at this point in the series.

Ignoring that it would put an end to the series, what would make me want to see them have a baby would be the character developement that must happen first. I do want to see Eve come to terms with herself, both as mother and child, and Roarke with his issues. I want to watch all of that happen, but in a realistic manner. I don't want a kid for them now, because they simply aren't ready.

If you mean the crowd that want them to have a baby /now/ as opposed to later, my guess is it would follow more closely the "typical" romance arc, with children showing up in the first few years of marriage or so.

Again, I say yay for kids, maybe even before the series is over, but character developement in truckloads first.

Hope that sort of answers a part of your question XD

#14 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

For me, the question is this:

First, forget that we're talking about "Eve & Roarke." Just make this series "generic" in your mind. It's simply a murder mystery series.

Now, explain where a child fits. Explain why there should be a child there at all for any reason.

AJ

#15 wink42

wink42

Traffic Cop

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

You're right. I think because of Eve and Roarke's childhood everyone would like to see them have a child because (I believe) they would make incredible parents. The child would be an extension of their love.

But, it doesn't have anything to do with the series. I want the series to continue so I'm glad NR is not planning for them to have children.

#16 eatsbrains

eatsbrains

Civilian

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

Well, first Eve was simply a cop, now she has Roarke, and I don't think it's a sweeping generalization when I say that Roarke is a lot of people's favorite character. It could very well be a good thing, and in Judgment, Clooney said that whatever love is inside you, when you have a child there is more, don't you think that Eve and Roarke would be good with a kid? Well, a more grown one, I'd say but I think, her and Jamie get along, she treats him with a lot of respect.

Jeeps,
Why would anybody want to ride in a tent on the highway?
I mean seriously, there are about 3 windows in a Jeep,
Well, real windows anyway, the others are plastic,
Riding in the back is like if you kept your cheeks really lax, and then shake your head really hard.
That's what it sounds like,
It's like a trampoline, and I seriously doubt there is actually any heat in one of those things.
Contrary to what anyone else says, it's always cold.!

#17 LaVita

LaVita

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

I think initially everyone would like to see them have a kid. It means that they have somehow gotten pasted their beyond miserable beginnings.

Do I think it should happen during the series? NO. Having a kid would greatly affect her. Things would be so different. She did say that she would be open to having a kid. Just not right now - and I agree with that.

I actually think it would be a cute finale. The final icing on the cake; or even final book is her having the kid. Let's see NR top giving birth in the back seat, delivered by Summerset (I'm joking...she could top it with her eyes closed).

So count me in the PRObaby catagory...but with a timer.

#18 boats

boats

Captain

• Members+
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

Yea! you can just see Roarke in his shirt sleeves with a towel across one shoulder as he walks the little one back & forth while trying to burp her... And when the baby brups, she misses the towel and splatters his silk shirt... :lollol:
These are an opinions of a man and may differ from all others; Please don't hunt him down and cause bodily harm.

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain:
If I can ease one life the aching,
or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I sall not live in vain.
Emily Dickinson

#19 LaVita

LaVita

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

Yea! you can just see Roarke in his shirt sleeves with a towel across one shoulder as he walks the little one back & forth while trying to burp her... And when the baby brups, she misses the towel and splatters his silk shirt... :lollol:

Being a smart practical man...Summerset would have told him not to wear that shirt. :P

#20 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

Yeah! And you can just see people writing in to Nora complaining because the series is now nothing but cute scenes with the baby, OR because they're pissed because Eve is not with the baby enough...

If this subject is to remain open, please keep it to answering the question at hand, and not about all the cute little scenes that could involve a baby. That discussion is for a different thread.

AJ