Photo

2017--What are you currently reading? (Books and E-books only)

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#121 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,375 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

Loyalty in Death by JD Robb (#9 In Death Series)

An unknown bomber is stalking New York City. He is sending Eve Dallas taunting letters promising to wreak mass terror and destruction among the “corrupt masses.” And when his cruel web of deceit and destruction threatens those she cares for most, Eve fights back. It’s her city...it’s her job...and it’s hitting too close to home. Now, in a race against a ticking clock, Eve must make the pieces fit—before the city falls.

Diane

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

#122 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,624 posts

• Favorite Character: Detective Peabody

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

The Clocks, last of my stock of Poirots.  Hopefully some will show up on sale soon!

It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

Eloisa James, Three Weeks With Lady X

#123 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J Maas

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

She finds her destination,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#124 Debbi

Debbi

Detective

• Members+
  • 509 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

The Hunter by Tom Wood

#125 Teresa55

Teresa55

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,373 posts

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

Laying Down the Paw by Diane Kelly. About a K9 officer and her dog.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#126 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

Witness in Death by JD Robb (#10 In Death Series)

The opening night of the revival of Agatha Christie's "Witness for the Prosecution" at New York’s New Globe Theater turns from stage scene to crime scene when the leading man is stabbed to death right on center stage. Now Eve Dallas has a high-profile celebrity homicide on her hands. Not only is she lead detective, she’s also a witness—and when the press discovers that her husband owns the theater, there’s more media spotlight than either can handle. The only way out is to move fast. Question everyone and everything…and in the meantime, try to tell the difference between the truth—and really good acting…

Diane

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

#127 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

Judgment in Death  by JD Robb (#11 In Death Series)

In an uptown strip joint, a cop is found bludgeoned to death. The weapon's a baseball bat. The motive's a mystery. It's a case of serious overkill that pushes Eve Dallas straight into overdrive. Her investigation uncovers a private club that's more than a hot spot. Purgatory's a last chance for atonement where everyone is judged. Where your ultimate fate depends on your most intimate sins. And where one cop's hidden secrets are about to plunge innocent souls into vice-ridden damnation...

Diane

#128 lilia21

lilia21

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 854 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

26053.jpg Public Secrets by Nora Roberts

Posted Image

“Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.”
― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Acheron

#129 Teresa55

Teresa55

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

Of Books and Bagpipes by Paige Shelton. About a bookseller in Edinburough who solves mysteries.
Posted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#130 Debbi

Debbi

Detective

• Members+
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:19 PM

The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes

From the best-selling author of Why We Get Fat, a groundbreaking, eye-opening exposé that makes the convincing case that sugar is the tobacco of the new millennium: backed by powerful lobbies, entrenched in our lives, and making us very sick. 

Among Americans, diabetes is more prevalent today than ever; obesity is at epidemic proportions; nearly 10% of children are thought to have nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. And sugar is at the root of these, and other, critical society-wide, health-related problems. With his signature command of both science and straight talk, Gary Taubes delves into Americans' history with sugar: its uses as a preservative, as an additive in cigarettes, the contemporary overuse of high-fructose corn syrup. He explains what research has shown about our addiction to sweets. He clarifies the arguments against sugar, corrects misconceptions about the relationship between sugar and weight loss; and provides the perspective necessary to make informed decisions about sugar as individuals and as a society.

#131 ElectricOutcast2X

ElectricOutcast2X

Rookie

• Members+
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:09 AM

The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes

From the best-selling author of Why We Get Fat, a groundbreaking, eye-opening exposé that makes the convincing case that sugar is the tobacco of the new millennium: backed by powerful lobbies, entrenched in our lives, and making us very sick. 

Among Americans, diabetes is more prevalent today than ever; obesity is at epidemic proportions; nearly 10% of children are thought to have nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. And sugar is at the root of these, and other, critical society-wide, health-related problems. With his signature command of both science and straight talk, Gary Taubes delves into Americans' history with sugar: its uses as a preservative, as an additive in cigarettes, the contemporary overuse of high-fructose corn syrup. He explains what research has shown about our addiction to sweets. He clarifies the arguments against sugar, corrects misconceptions about the relationship between sugar and weight loss; and provides the perspective necessary to make informed decisions about sugar as individuals and as a society.

Well on the bright side, I've only drank four sodas this last week and weening myself exclusively to unsweet tea and club sodas.

In terms of books, a friend of mine recommended me a thing called Principia Humanitas by Abhijit Naskar.

The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People but Between One Person and Himself- Garth Brooks

#132 Quinlan1973

Quinlan1973

Officer

• Members+
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

Nothing atm but am awaiting The Alexandria Inheritance coming out in July

#133 Teresa55

Teresa55

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:06 PM

Without Warning by Joel Rosenberg. The latest in his series featuring a NYT Middle East Correspondent.
Posted Image

#134 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

Interlude in Death by JD Robb (#12.5 In Death Series)

In early spring of 2059, Lieutenant Eve Dallas is called off planet to face a grueling ordeal - giving a seminar at the largest police conference of the year, to be held in a swanky resort. A resort which just happens to be owned by her husband, Roarke, of course. Even though Eve can't quite see it that way, it's supposed to be at least partly a vacation. But work intrudes in the form of a bloody homicide, and Eve is off and running. The case is complicated by Eve's personal history with the victim - and by the killer's history with Roarke. As danger closes in and the body count rises, Eve must find a way to stop the cycle of violence and revenge, and shove the past back where it belongs.

Diane

#135 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 325 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira (Dennis, too)

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

Reading the Villa by Nora on the planes while on my first vacation to Florida. Suspense is my fav.

Lee

"I don't want to hear Mr. Mira in the same sentence with pasties."  Eve Dallas, Promises In Death

#136 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

Betrayal in Death by JD Robb (#13 In Death Series)

At the luxurious Roarke Palace Hotel, a maid walks into suite 4602 for the nightly turndown - and steps into her worst nightmare. A killer leaves her dead, strangled by a thin silver wire. He's Sly Yost, a virtuoso of music and murder. A hit man for the elite. Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows him well. But in this twisted case, knowing the killer doesn't help solve the crime. Because there's someone else involved. Someone with a more personal motive. And Eve must face a terrifying possibility - that the real target may, in fact, be her husband Roarke...

Diane

#137 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

Astor Place Vintage by Stephanie Lehmann.  

When a New York City vintage clothing shop owner’s recent purchases contain a hidden journal from 1907, her entire life will be turned upside down in this “insightful, charming, and wholly entertaining novel” (Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner).

Amanda Rosenbloom, proprietor of Astor Place Vintage, thinks she’s on just another call to appraise and possibly purchase clothing from a wealthy, elderly woman. But after discovering a journal sewn into a fur muff, Amanda gets much more than she anticipated. The pages of the journal reveal the life of Olive Westcott, a young woman who had moved to Manhattan in 1907. Olive was set on pursuing a career as a department store buyer in an era when Victorian ideas, limiting a woman’s sphere to marriage and motherhood, were only beginning to give way to modern ways of thinking. As Amanda reads the journal, her life begins to unravel until she can no longer ignore this voice from the past. Despite being separated by one hundred years, Amanda finds she’s connected to Olive in ways neither could ever have imagined.

I'm really surprised how much I am drawn into this book, I didn't want to stop reading last night. At first when I realized the chapters were alternating between past and present, I wasn't thrilled. I dislike stories told in flashbacks, as a rule, but this is really two stories told in one book. It's been in my TBR collection for a while, and I'm glad I finally got to it.

It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

#138 lilia21

lilia21

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

Posted Image

“Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.”
― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Acheron

#139 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

Seduction in Death by JD Robb (#14 In Death Series)

Dante had been courting his victim in cyberspace for weeks before meeting her in person. A few sips of wine and a few hours later, she was dead. The murder weapon: a rare, usually undetectable date-rape drug with a street value of a quarter million dollars. Lieutenant Eve Dallas is playing and replaying the clues in her mind. The candlelight, the music, the rose petals strewn across the bed - a seduction meant for his benefit, not hers. He hadn't intended to kill her. But now that he has, he is left with only two choices: to either hole up in fear and guilt or start hunting again. . .

Diane

#140 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,624 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Groan. I so enjoyed Astor Place Vintage that it's put me into a reading slump. Nothing in my TBR pile is appealing to me, and even re-reads are lackluster. Maybe I'll try a biography or other non-fiction instead of another novel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users