Photo

2017--What are you currently reading? (Books and E-books only)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,344 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

Murder in the Stacks by Mary Clay
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#42 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,355 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

Between Two Worlds: Escape from Tyranny: Growing Up in the Shadow of Saddam by Zainab Salbi, Laurie Becklund

Zainab Salbi was eleven years old when her father was chosen to be Saddam Hussein's personal pilot and her family's life was grafted onto his. Her mother, the beautiful Alia, taught her daughter the skills she needed to survive. A plastic smile. Saying yes. Burying in boxes in her mind the horrors she glimpsed around her. "Learn to erase your memories," she instructed. "He can read eyes."

In this richly visual memoir, Salbi describes tyranny as she saw it--through the eyes of a privileged child, a rebellious teenager, a violated wife, and ultimately a public figure fighting to overcome the skill that once kept her alive: silence.

Between Two Worlds is a riveting quest for truth that deepens our understanding of the universal themes of power, fear, sexual subjugation, and the question one generation asks the one before it: How could you have let this happen to us?

Diane

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

#43 Debbi

Debbi

Detective

• Members+
  • 481 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:31 PM

Well that sounds pretty intense.

#44 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

Well that sounds pretty intense.

I saw a program on the National Geographic Channel called "Faces of Evil" and one of the episodes was on Saddam Hussein and they interviewed the first author "Zainab Salbi" - so I'm taking a chance on reading this - so far so good though.

Diane

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

#45 Shayde

Shayde

Deputy Inspector

• Members+
  • 3,108 posts

• Favorite Character: Summerset

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Sorry for not being on of late. Just haven't been able to get the free time to.... well, relax in any way. And that includes getting online. Hence the lack of posts. Och well....

But due to a stroke of luck yesterday - getting half an hour of free time before starting shift - found a copy of Echoes In Death lurking on a booksellers shelf. That means folks that spoilers will be on their way very soon!

Now all I've got to is get through a to be read and listened to pile of stuff that's piled on the desk.... :P

He says he's clever, suave and devilishly handsome. 'Tis a shame he's also a liar....

#46 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,577 posts

• Favorite Character: Detective Peabody

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

Murder in Mesopotamia by Dame Agatha Christie.  Don't know why I didn't get into Poirot before, maybe because i started with The Affair at Styles, which I didn't like now either, but in general, I'm liking my "new" discovery.  I especially enjoyed reading Murder on the Orient Express.  I imagine it was rather a sensation at the time--justice vs. the law, the same theme she explored in Witness for the Prosecution.

It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

Eloisa James, Three Weeks With Lady X

#47 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

Night Over Water by Ken Follett

September 1939. England is at war with Nazi Germany. In Southampton, the world’s most luxurious airliner—the legendary Pan Am clipper—takes off for its final flight to neutral America. Aboard are the cream of society and the dregs of humanity, all fleeing the war for reasons of their own…shadowed by a danger they do not know exists…and heading straight into a storm of violence, intrigue, and betrayal…

Diane

#48 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

She finds her destination,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#49 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,577 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Still reading Poirot.  Not exactly in order as I'm buying them as I find them on sale, so my reading order is the first book in the series that I have when I'm ready for a new one.  

Today it's Five Little Pigs.

It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

#50 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 304 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira (Dennis, too)

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:33 PM

Glad to hear you are forging on, Carole.  Enjoy...

Added Taming Natasha by Nora to the books I'm reading now.  It's been a long while since I read this series.  Certainly see how it grabs you, but it's funny to read references to radios and an independent toy store.  Don't see much of either one any more.  I have a feeling I'll have to read the whole series now.  I have them all in my bookcase ... somewhere.  Boy, we really get spoiled by our electronic library, don't we?

Lee

"I don't want to hear Mr. Mira in the same sentence with pasties."  Eve Dallas, Promises In Death

#51 Anurulz

Anurulz

Civilian

• Members
  • 30 posts

• Favorite Character: Mira

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:25 AM

I finished my Poirot books in December..last i read was "Elephants can Rmember"..was looking for light humour so restarted the Percy Jackson series (I tend to regress to young adult frequently), will take a break for Echoes but then continue otherwise through this series and the next Heroes of Olympus..

Still reading Poirot.  Not exactly in order as I'm buying them as I find them on sale, so my reading order is the first book in the series that I have when I'm ready for a new one.  

You can get the chronological order online if u want.. there tend to be snippets of previous cases at times which are fun to read in chronological order..:-)

#52 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,577 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

I finished my Poirot books in December..last i read was "Elephants can Rmember"..was looking for light humour so restarted the Percy Jackson series (I tend to regress to young adult frequently), will take a break for Echoes but then continue otherwise through this series and the next Heroes of Olympus..

You can get the chronological order online if u want.. there tend to be snippets of previous cases at times which are fun to read in chronological order..:-)

Oh, I have the order, what I don't have is the books! They are rather expensive on Kindle, many of them as high s $9.99. So I'm keeping an eye out for sales, and I've gotten some on Amazon's bookmatch (books I previously purchased in paperback are cheaper to buy again in Kindle). I'll catch up with them eventually. In the meantime, it's not an issue to read out of strict order. A few references to other cases--at the end of Murder in Mesopotamia, Poirot is intending to travel home on the Orient Express, and I had already read that one--but not really any spoilers so far.

#53 Nandi

Nandi

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,879 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt. Eve Dallas

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin. This book was written in 1963, I first read it in 1968. I loved it and every now and then I pull it out to read it again.

My renewed interest in it is because of a documentary about Baldwin that's being released on Friday. Its already won the L.A. Film Critics association award.the book is excellent, however the author was brilliant, socially conscious, but often misunderstood and under rated by most. His books should be taught in every school on every level.
Evil thrives when good men do nothing...... So do something. :original: Peabody,with me!! :eka: and :roarkerules: NANDI

#54 Debbi

Debbi

Detective

• Members+
  • 481 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:28 AM

I'm just starting Apprentice so I'll be ready for Echoes.

#55 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:24 AM

The Policewoman by Justin W.M. Roberts - given to me from the author for an honest review.

In the year 2026, narcoterrorism wreaks havoc on the world as drug cartels operate as dominating, murderous dictatorships. The powerful Irish Drug Cartel has set up drug manufacturing plants in England, Ireland, and Indonesia and they will kill anyone who gets in their way. Sarah is an ambitious policewoman from an antiterrorist unit called Densus-88. She’s also smart, beautiful, and extremely good at her job, which is why she is assigned to an Interpol Incident Response Team, set up to find and stop The Cartel. Alongside colleagues from the United Kingdom’s SAS, she must quickly learn new Close Quarters Battle tactics and apply them to a vengeful and threatening battlefield. Sarah’s investigation appears to be going well until the fight turns personal. She must now struggle to save her friends, family, and even herself. Spanning the globe with a keen knowledge of special forces tactics and some genuinely shocking twists, The Policewoman is a staggering novel that warns of a bloody, drug-addled future we may soon face.

Diane

#56 ElectricOutcast2X

ElectricOutcast2X

Rookie

• Members+
  • 107 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:05 PM

The Policewoman by Justin W.M. Roberts - given to me from the author for an honest review.

In the year 2026, narcoterrorism wreaks havoc on the world as drug cartels operate as dominating, murderous dictatorships. The powerful Irish Drug Cartel has set up drug manufacturing plants in England, Ireland, and Indonesia and they will kill anyone who gets in their way. Sarah is an ambitious policewoman from an antiterrorist unit called Densus-88. She’s also smart, beautiful, and extremely good at her job, which is why she is assigned to an Interpol Incident Response Team, set up to find and stop The Cartel. Alongside colleagues from the United Kingdom’s SAS, she must quickly learn new Close Quarters Battle tactics and apply them to a vengeful and threatening battlefield. Sarah’s investigation appears to be going well until the fight turns personal. She must now struggle to save her friends, family, and even herself. Spanning the globe with a keen knowledge of special forces tactics and some genuinely shocking twists, The Policewoman is a staggering novel that warns of a bloody, drug-addled future we may soon face.

And here I thought we were already there

The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People but Between One Person and Himself- Garth Brooks

#57 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:24 PM

Reliquary by Preston & Child.
Posted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#58 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

Painted Silver by Susan Reiss
Posted Image

#59 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

I'm giving my little grey cells a rest and reading The Day We Met (Jersey Strong book one) by Barbara Bretton.  I like her down-to-earth characters and situations, and in this case, I am especially enjoying the chuckle that having characters in their late thirties referring to each other as "middle aged."

#60 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

Cold Secrets by Toni Anderson (Cold Justice #7)

Overview: When an international ring of sex traffickers kidnaps an eight-year-old girl in Boston, FBI Agent Lucas Randall heads undercover. But his rescue operation goes disastrously wrong and Lucas barely escapes with his life. Now the ruthless traffickers are hunting him down, along with everyone else who threatens their operation. 
Computer expert Ashley Chen joined the FBI to fight against evil in the world—evil she experienced firsthand. She has mad skills, and deadly secrets, and once she starts working with Lucas, she also has big trouble, because after years of pushing people away, she’s falling for the guy. The feeling is more than mutual, but as Ashley intensifies her online pursuit of the trafficking ring, her traumatic past collides with her present and suddenly Lucas can’t tell which side she’s on. And as the case escalates into a high-stakes game of cat and mouse, it turns out Ashley isn’t the only one with something to hide. 
If neither can trust the other with their secrets, how can they trust each other with their hearts?

Diane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users