Photo

2017--What are you currently reading? (Books and E-books only)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,577 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Detective Peabody

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Dame Agatha Christie. I have not taken to Poirot in the past but I recently read Evil Under the Sun on a recommendation and liked it, so I'm trying again. Styles is the first Poirot.
It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

Eloisa James, Three Weeks With Lady X

#22 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 304 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira (Dennis, too)

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Dame Agatha Christie. I have not taken to Poirot in the past but I recently read Evil Under the Sun on a recommendation and liked it, so I'm trying again. Styles is the first Poirot.

I hope you enjoy it.  I was reading these while the rest of you were enjoying Nora.

Poirot and Miss Marple stories are, of course, Agatha Christie's renowned and well crafted mysteries, but for me the most fun, best series she ever did were her Tommy and Tuppence Beresford stories.  I was just the lucky recipient of a copy of N or M? which was published in 1941 (the paperback I found is a 1964 printing -- not in the best of shape, but good enough for my collection).  This is set during WWII in England and may be their last story (need to check on that).  Their stories start at the end of WWI when they are both "de-mobbed" and before they fall in love.  Most of their mysteries were set in the '20s.  It was such fun to start reading about one of the husband/wife duos who I followed before I was hooked on Eve and Roarke.  I'm enjoying it again.

Lee

"I don't want to hear Mr. Mira in the same sentence with pasties."  Eve Dallas, Promises In Death

#23 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,355 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

3 Truths and a Lie: A Detective D. D. Warren Story (Kindle Single)

Boston Detective D.D. Warren faces her most brutal adversaries yet—a class of jaded thriller writers—in New York Times Bestselling Author Lisa Gardner’s exclusive e-Book short story.

In Lisa Gardner's second short story, after the New York Times bestseller The 7th Month, Detective D.D. Warren takes on her most intimidating assignment yet: a fifty-minute class meant to educate a horde of bloodthirsty thriller writers on the ways of actual police work. Yet sometimes life really does imitate fiction, as D.D. takes the writers through the reality of one of her most twisted cases—a case that involves a seedy motel room, drugs, prostitution . . . and a severed leg.

With Gardner’s trademark suspense, sharp observations, and thrilling storytelling, Three Truths and a Lie is a fascinating chapter in D.D.’s storied career.

Diane

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

#24 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,577 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

I hope you enjoy it.  I was reading these while the rest of you were enjoying Nora.

Poirot and Miss Marple stories are, of course, Agatha Christie's renowned and well crafted mysteries, but for me the most fun, best series she ever did were her Tommy and Tuppence Beresford stories.  I was just the lucky recipient of a copy of N or M? which was published in 1941 (the paperback I found is a 1964 printing -- not in the best of shape, but good enough for my collection).  This is set during WWII in England and may be their last story (need to check on that).  Their stories start at the end of WWI when they are both "de-mobbed" and before they fall in love.  Most of their mysteries were set in the '20s.  It was such fun to start reading about one of the husband/wife duos who I followed before I was hooked on Eve and Roarke.  I'm enjoying it again.

I loved Tommy and Tuppence.  But not the series--James Warwick and Francesca Annis were too old.  Postern of Fate is the last book.  Are you familiar with Fantastic Fiction?  Great site to identify all books by an author and also the order of a series.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/

It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

#25 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

Carole, thanks for the lead to the fantastic fiction site.  My OCD is so happy with sites like this.  Always want to read in order!!  And I agree with your judgement about the BBC production of T&T.  The sets and costumes were great, but the lead actors were too old for the early stories.  Thanks again.

Lee

"I don't want to hear Mr. Mira in the same sentence with pasties."  Eve Dallas, Promises In Death

#26 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:15 AM

Love You More (Tessa Leoni #1)(Detective D.D. Warren #5)

One question, a split-second decision, and Brian Darby lies dead on the kitchen floor. His wife, state police trooper Tessa Leoni, claims to have shot him in self-defense, and bears the bruises to back up her tale. For veteran detective D. D. Warren it should be an open-and-shut case. But where is their six-year-old daughter?

As the homicide investigation ratchets into a frantic statewide search for a missing child, D. D. Warren must partner with former lover Bobby Dodge to break through the blue wall of police brotherhood, seeking to understand the inner workings of a trooper’s mind while also unearthing family secrets. Would a trained police officer truly shoot her own husband? And would a mother harm her own child?

Diane

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

#27 ruth

ruth

Chief

• Chief
  • 6,343 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

Thank you also for the Fantastic Fiction site. I have a couple of books by J.R. Ward in her contemporary romance list that I'm looking for. Lee - it occurs to me that you can check the reading order for the JR Ward/Jessica Bird contemporaries that I recommended to you maybe a month ago on this site?

Without Order.............Chaos Without Rules.............Anarchy
userbar293553ez5.gif]norafanbar.gif
 roarkebar.gif

indeathfanbar.gifteam-edward.jpg

#28 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,577 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

I find the Fantastic Fiction site to be very helpful because I do like to read in order when i can. And it's up to date, unlike those 99 cent "reading order" books that sometimes pop up on Amazon (e-books).

I finished The Mysterious Affair at Styles and found it somewhat tedious but that's often the case with a first book in a series, establishing characters, etc., in this case, introducing Poirot and his methods, and Hastings and their relationship.  I'm reading Cards on the Table now.

#29 IDFAN

IDFAN

Eve's stunt double for sex scenes

• Chief
  • 7,286 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt. Eve Dallas

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:58 AM

I'm about to start Morrigan's Cross. I haven't read the Circle Trilogy in years. It wasn't one of my favorites, I'm not a fan of vampires, but I thought I'd give it a try again. 

Laie_42.gif

Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn. 

#30 Debbi

Debbi

Detective

• Members+
  • 481 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

I'm about to start Morrigan's Cross. I haven't read the Circle Trilogy in years. It wasn't one of my favorites, I'm not a fan of vampires, but I thought I'd give it a try again. 

Good luck.  I read it, and didn't like it.  Couldn't even get to the second one.  I really dislike vampires.

I'm still working my way through the ID vortex.  I'm currently on NY2D - probably the most emotionally charged book in the series, IMO.  

#31 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

I, too, don't read vampire stories or, for that matter, much in the fantasy realm, and yet I got through all of the Circle trilogy because I really liked and enjoyed how Nora developed the characters and how she brought the story "full circle" and created a great, emotional ending.  While I am purchasing the latest trilogy as I can find them at my favorite book store, I've yet to start them.  I will read them, as I have all of Nora's work, but with the fantasy genre, I'm not in any hurry.

Lee

#32 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,344 posts

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:44 PM

The Socorro Blast by Pari Noskin Thiabat. A series of books about a Public Relations Employee for the city of Alberquerque, NM. She solves mysteries in her spare time. This one is about her niece who is injured by a pipe bomb in her mailbox. She works with the police to find who planted the bomb.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#33 IDFAN

IDFAN

Eve's stunt double for sex scenes

• Chief
  • 7,286 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt. Eve Dallas

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:46 AM

I, too, don't read vampire stories or, for that matter, much in the fantasy realm, and yet I got through all of the Circle trilogy because I really liked and enjoyed how Nora developed the characters and how she brought the story "full circle" and created a great, emotional ending.  While I am purchasing the latest trilogy as I can find them at my favorite book store, I've yet to start them.  I will read them, as I have all of Nora's work, but with the fantasy genre, I'm not in any hurry.

I actually liked her newest one pretty well. Definitely had to suspend reality for it, but I did enjoy the characters and the storyline. I liked the Circle Trilogy better as I got into it, I just got tired of Cian and all his incessant immortal whining.  :vampire2: A millennium of it is more than anyone should have a right to. 

Laie_42.gif

Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn. 

#34 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

Touch & Go by Lisa Gardner (#2 in the Tessa Leoni Series)

Justin and Libby Denbe have the kind of life you’d find in the pages of a glossy magazine. A beautiful fifteen-year-old daughter. A gorgeous brownstone on a tree-lined street in Boston’s Back Bay neighborhood. A great marriage, admired by all. A perfect life.

This is what I know: Pain has a flavor. . . .

When investigator Tessa Leoni arrives at the crime scene in the foyer of the Denbes’ home, she finds scuff marks on the floor and a million tiny pieces of bright green Taser confetti. The family appears to have been abducted, with only a pile of their cell phones and electronic devices remaining. No witnesses, no ransom demands, no motive. Just a perfect little family, gone.

This is what I fear: The worst is yet to come. . . .

Tessa knows better than anyone that flawless fronts can hide the darkest secrets. Now she must race against the clock to uncover the Denbes’ innermost dealings, a complex tangle of friendships and betrayal, big business and small sacrifices. Who would want to kidnap such a perfect little family? And how far would such a person be willing to go?

This is the truth: Love, safety, family . . . it’s all touch and go.

Diane

#35 Debbi

Debbi

Detective

• Members+
  • 481 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

That sounds really interesting, Diane.  Please let us know what you think when you're done.

#36 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

That sounds really interesting, Diane.  Please let us know what you think when you're done.

For sure, it's starting out good, different but good.

Diane

#37 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 422 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

Crown Of Midnight by Sarah J Maas

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

She finds her destination,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#38 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,344 posts

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

Talking God by Tony Hillerman
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#39 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

I'm SURE you were wondering and I failed to complete my update on reading all of the holiday stories in my Nook, so...  

I found over 20 holiday-themed novels or novellas on my Nook.  Some I enjoyed, some I didn't.  Some were fairly well written.  Some had enjoyable characters, some I couldn't care less if they found their happiest holiday.  If next winter you're looking for a snowy read or two, let me know.  I have a list including some set "down under."

HO, HO, HO.

Lee

#40 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

Crash & Burn by Lisa Gardner (#3 of the Tessa Leoni series)

My name is Nicky Frank. Except, most likely, it isn’t.

Nicole Frank shouldn’t have been able to survive the car accident, much less crawl up the steep ravine. Not in the dark, not in the rain, not with her injuries. But one thought allows her to defy the odds and flag down help: Vero.

I’m looking for a little girl. I have to save her. Except, most likely, she doesn’t exist.

Sergeant Wyatt Foster is frustrated when even the search dogs can’t find any trace of the mysterious missing child. Until Nicky’s husband, Thomas, arrives with a host of shattering revelations: Nicole Frank suffers from a rare brain injury and the police shouldn’t trust anything she says.

My husband claims he’ll do anything to save me. Except, most likely, he can’t.

Who is Nicky Frank, and what happened the night her car sailed off the road? Was it a random accident or something more sinister given the woman’s lack of family and no close friends? The deeper Wyatt digs, the more concerned he becomes. Because it turns out, in the past few months, Nicky has suffered from more than one close accident. . . . In fact, it would appear someone very much wants her dead.

This is my life. Except, most likely, it’s not. Now watch me crash and burn.

Diane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users