Photo

2017--What are you currently reading? (Books and E-books only)

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,603 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Detective Peabody

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:02 AM

Here we are in a new year (or close depending on where in the world you are)!

I'll start off with Lisa Scottoline's "Everywhere That Mary Went." I tried it years ago, didn't get into it. But I love her non-fiction/humor so I've been buying her fiction whenever it is on sale and now I'm enjoying it.

Ok, it's now officially 2017 here, so Happy New Year, and what are YOU reading?
It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

Eloisa James, Three Weeks With Lady X

#2 IDFAN

IDFAN

Eve's stunt double for sex scenes

• Chief
  • 7,293 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt. Eve Dallas

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:13 AM

Still not the New Year here in L.A., but I've moved on to Bay of Sighs. It's going to be a quiet New Year here. I have complete laryngitis. Even the cats can't hear me. I'm having to whistle or click to get their attention.  :shutup:  Thank heavens for text, as it's the only way I can communicate with family and friends. 

Laie_42.gif

Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn. 

#3 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 427 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

New book of the New Year lol

Blood Song by  Anthony Ryan 

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

She finds her destination,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#4 Travelover

Travelover

Detective

• Members+
  • 466 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

Lord of the Privateers by Stephanie Laurens 

#5 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

The Next Accident by Lisa Gardner (#3 in The Profilers Series)

New York Times bestselling author Lisa Gardner is at the top of her form as she takes us on a desperate manhunt for a killer who preys upon his victims’ minds—just before he claims their lives.

What do you do when a killer targets the people you love the most? When he knows how to make them vulnerable? When he knows the same about you?

These are the questions that haunt FBI Special Agent Pierce Quincy. The police say his daughter’s death was an accident. Quincy will risk everything to learn the truth—and there’s only one person willing to help. Ex-cop Rainie Connor had once been paired professionally—and personally—with the brilliant FBI profiler. He helped her through the darkest days of her life.

Now it’s time for Rainie to return the favor. But this killer is like none these two hard-boiled pros have ever encountered. This twisted psychopath has an insatiable hunger for revenge...and for fear. As the clock ticks down to one unspeakably intimate act of vengeance, the only way Rainie can unmask this killer is to step directly in his murderous path. She will become a murder waiting to happen. She will be...the next accident.

Diane

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

#6 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,603 posts

• Favorite Character: Detective Peabody

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

How is that series?  I tried the first one, love Stephanie Laurens, but it didn't gel with me.  

It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

Eloisa James, Three Weeks With Lady X

#7 Travelover

Travelover

Detective

• Members+
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

How is that series?  I tried the first one, love Stephanie Laurens, but it didn't gel with me.  

I'm a big fan of hers. I loved the Bar Cynster series (Devil was my favorite in that series) and the Bastion Club series (Daziel/Royce, the Duke of Wolverstone was my favorite in that series).  In addition to this new privateer series (Lord of the Privateers is the last in this series which has been very good), she has started the second generation of the Cynsters.  Her next book in the second generation will feature Devil's son and his lady.

#8 IDFAN

IDFAN

Eve's stunt double for sex scenes

• Chief
  • 7,293 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt. Eve Dallas

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:55 AM

Still not the New Year here in L.A., but I've moved on to Bay of Sighs. It's going to be a quiet New Year here. I have complete laryngitis. Even the cats can't hear me. I'm having to whistle or click to get their attention.  :shutup:  Thank heavens for text, as it's the only way I can communicate with family and friends. 

Since I just recently named my new cat Capri, because her eyes are the color of the Blue Grotto, it was fun reading a book set on the island. I lived in Italy as a kid and visited Capri several times, but it's been a long time. Now onto Ireland in Island of Glass. 

Laie_42.gif

Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn. 

#9 Teresa55

Teresa55

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,364 posts

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Curious Minds by Janet Evanovich and Phoef Sutton
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#10 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

The Killing Hour by Lisa Gardner (#4 in the FBI Profilers series)

Each time he struck, he took two victims. Day after day, he waited for the first body to be discovered--a body containing all the clues the investigators needed to find the second victim, who waited...prey to a slow but certain death. The clock ticked--salvation was possible.The police were never in time.

Years have passed; but for this killer, time has stood still. As a heat wave of epic proportions descends, the game begins again. Two girls have disappeared...and the clock is ticking.

Rookie FBI agent Kimberly Quincy knows the killer’s deadline can be met. But she’ll have to break some rules to beat an exactingly vicious criminal at a game he’s had time to perfect.

For the Killing Hour has arrived....

Diane

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

#11 Teresa55

Teresa55

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

The Pursuit by Janet Evanovich. The latest Fox and OHare story.
Posted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#12 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

Gone by Lisa Gardner (#5 in the FBI Profilers series)

When someone you love vanishes without a trace, how far would you go to get them back?
For ex-FBI profiler Pierce Quincy, it's the beginning of his worst nightmare: a car abandoned on a desolate stretch of Oregon highway, engine running, purse on the driver's seat. And his estranged wife, Rainie Conner, gone, leaving no clue to her fate.

Did one of the ghosts from Rainie's troubled past finally catch up with her? Or could her disappearance be the result of one of the cases they'd been working-a particularly vicious double homicide or the possible abuse of a deeply disturbed child Rainie took too close to heart?  Together with his daughter, FBI agent Kimberly Quincy, Pierce is battling the local authorities, racing against time, and frantically searching for answers to all the questions he's been afraid to ask.

One man knows what happened that night. Adopting the alias of a killer caught eighty years before, he has already contacted the press. His terms are clear: he wants money, he wants power, he wants celebrity. And if he doesn't get what he wants, Rainie will be gone for good.

Sometimes, no matter how much you love someone, it's still not enough.
As the clock winds down on a terrifying deadline, Pierce plunges headlong into the most desperate hunt of his life, into the shattering search for a killer, a lethal truth, and for the love of his life, who may forever be…gone.

Diane

#13 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

Blood Vow by JR Ward

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#14 Debbi

Debbi

Detective

• Members+
  • 500 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

I made the mistake of rereading an early ID - now I'm stuck in the vortex and can't get out...at least until after I read Echoes next month.

#15 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 316 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira (Dennis, too)

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:04 AM

Welcome to the vortex.  Though I'm doing it again, the countdown has begun in this house.  Feb 7 coming soon,

Lee

"I don't want to hear Mr. Mira in the same sentence with pasties."  Eve Dallas, Promises In Death

#16 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner (#6 in the FBI Profiler Series)

Come into my parlor . . .

For Kimberly Quincy, FBI Special Agent, it all starts with a pregnant hooker. The story Delilah Rose tells Kimberly about her johns is too horrifying to be true—but prostitutes are disappearing, one by one, with no explanation, and no one but Kimberly seems to care.

Said the spider to the fly . . .

As a member of the Evidence Recovery Team, dead hookers aren't exactly Kimberly's specialty. The young agent is five months pregnant—she has other things to worry about than an alleged lunatic who uses spiders to do his dirty work. But Kimberly's own mother and sister were victims of a serial killer. And now, without any bodies and with precious few clues, it's all too clear that a serial killer has found the key to the perfect murder . . . or Kimberly is chasing a crime that never happened.

Kimberly's caught in a web more lethal than any spider's, and the more she fights for answers, the more tightly she's trapped. What she doesn't know is that she's close—too close—to a psychopath who makes women's nightmares come alive, and if he has his twisted way, it won't be long before it's time for Kimberly to . . .

Diane

#17 Teresa55

Teresa55

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Wilde Lake by Laura Lippman.
Posted Image

#18 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas 

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#19 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

The 4th Man by Lisa Gardner (Quincy & Rainie #6.5)

FBI Profiler Pierce Quincy and Officer Rainie Conner return in a baffling cold case in this exclusive eBook short story by New York Times bestselling author Lisa Gardner.
A young woman is found strangled in the stairwell of a college library, only her sneakers missing. With no physical evidence, no signs of sexual assault, and no witnesses, all the police have to go on are the three men who were in the library with her: her boyfriend and two campus security guards… all of whom have secrets, none of whom can be proven guilty.
Five years later, ex-FBI profiler Pierce Quincy and his wife, former police officer Rainie Conner, agree to consult on the still-unsolved case, delving into deep background to comb for any clue that will lead to the woman's murderer. But with no leads and the case colder than the body, will they be able to build a case against one of the three suspects, or is there a fourth man out there? And if the killer has eluded the police this long, how far will he go to ensure justice is never served?
With Gardner's singular ability to delve into the minds of criminals and law enforcement alike, The 4th Man is a shocking look at the reasons for taking a life… and just how far profilers need to go to learn them.

Diane

#20 ruth

ruth

Chief

• Chief
  • 6,343 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Sea of Glass by Nora Roberts

Without Order.............Chaos Without Rules.............Anarchy
userbar293553ez5.gif]norafanbar.gif
 roarkebar.gif