#21 Quinlan1973

Quinlan1973

Officer

• Members+
  • 300 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:47 PM

I enjoyed reading all the posts. You are all correct, in analyzing and explaining why Eve fell in love with Roarke. But, please, all that aside, what normal woman, with a pulse and a brain, would not fall in love with Roarke?

A gay one, for sure. But, aside from that, I don't think I'd have liked him much in real person. He comes across as an arrogant dude a lot, and I'm not into that. He might be pretty to look at, but that ain't love.

That's pretty much my mother's reaction when she read the first book. Her first coment on Roarke was something like: "What an arrogant, controlling ass." :lol:

Well to be fair, he was an arrogant, controlling ass in the first book. It took several books for his arrogance to tone down.

#22 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 429 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

I enjoyed reading all the posts. You are all correct, in analyzing and explaining why Eve fell in love with Roarke. But, please, all that aside, what normal woman, with a pulse and a brain, would not fall in love with Roarke?

A gay one, for sure. But, aside from that, I don't think I'd have liked him much in real person. He comes across as an arrogant dude a lot, and I'm not into that. He might be pretty to look at, but that ain't love.

That's pretty much my mother's reaction when she read the first book. Her first coment on Roarke was something like: "What an arrogant, controlling ass." :lol:

Well to be fair, he was an arrogant, controlling ass in the first book. It took several books for his arrogance to tone down.

He's certainly not used to being told no in Naked in Death. Possibly why Eve caught his attention in the first book. 

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

She finds her destination,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#23 Pirate

Pirate

Rookie

• Members+
  • 117 posts

• Favorite Character: Dennis Mira

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:32 PM

Eve doesn't give a carp about the stuff that makes him so princely, which is why, IMO, he is so addicted to her. She keeps him real. Or, as real as a fictional character can be. :lol:

I definitely wouldn't like him IRL. I don't trust people who don't take no for answer. Take away his looks and his money and go over his behavior in this first books and he's like a creepy stalker you'd want to get a restraining order against.

Cameron

"You're not authorized to attempt to seduce the primary investigator at this time."

#24 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 325 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira (Dennis, too)

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:14 PM

In my ongoing reread of every In Death including novellas while reading them in order, the growth of these characters is layered, ongoing and great to read.  Just finished Treachery ID and am into NY to Dallas, both of which show how Roarke became more supportive and more accepting of Eve's boundaries.  Sure, he still tries to get in a quick feel or kiss in public/business situations, but that's not worthy of a restraining order in a healthy relationship.  That's just part of the gamesmanship of couples who can laugh at each other and themselves.

In Treachery when she is going down to the parking area where her assassins await, Roarke says he's going too.  She explains why that isn't necessary, he accepts her word.  Enough said.

If it had taken more than three books to cement their marriage and after 20 books or so Roarke was still breaking into her apartment and dragging her out of night spots, you wouldn't find me on his bandwagon.  As I said before, his tactics worked in bringing Eve to the acceptance of a growing love.  She obviously found his cave man approach to work for her.  

Lee

"I don't want to hear Mr. Mira in the same sentence with pasties."  Eve Dallas, Promises In Death

#25 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 429 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:26 PM

In my ongoing reread of every In Death including novellas while reading them in order, the growth of these characters is layered, ongoing and great to read.  Just finished Treachery ID and am into NY to Dallas, both of which show how Roarke became more supportive and more accepting of Eve's boundaries.  Sure, he still tries to get in a quick feel or kiss in public/business situations, but that's not worthy of a restraining order in a healthy relationship.  That's just part of the gamesmanship of couples who can laugh at each other and themselves.

In Treachery when she is going down to the parking area where her assassins await, Roarke says he's going too.  She explains why that isn't necessary, he accepts her word.  Enough said.

If it had taken more than three books to cement their marriage and after 20 books or so Roarke was still breaking into her apartment and dragging her out of night spots, you wouldn't find me on his bandwagon.  As I said before, his tactics worked in bringing Eve to the acceptance of a growing love.  She obviously found his cave man approach to work for her.  

That's how love works. It grows and blooms and changes and learns. It makes you more than you were and for those who keep it, it is the closest thing to magic. 

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

She finds her destination,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#26 RexxShredd

RexxShredd

Rookie

• Members+
  • 103 posts

• Favorite Character: Peabody

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:03 PM

late to this topic but I'll add one more:

They were kindred spirits in many ways (histories and such)....and it was a lot of work from both of them: they had to chisel away each others' baggage (sorry, i know thats a horrible term) but, once they freed each other's souls, she felt that it was their souls that were meant to find each other. I think its highly romantic to know that two souls were meant to find each other in this way....I think this is how Ms Roberts meant it. Quite beautiful, really

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users