#1 Ms Joy

Ms Joy

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,900 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:05 PM

I don't know if there is already a thread for this question - if so, please direct me to it and delete or junk this question.  But just in case it has NOT been analyzed to death -- WHY did Eve fall in love with Roarke?  We are told many of the reasons why Roarke fell so hard for Eve - her courage, her passion for justice, her depth -- but what did Eve see in Roarke besides the fact that he was/is drop-dead gorgeous?

p.s.  Hi folks !

It's not how many times you fall down. It's whether or not you get back up.

#2 Travelover

Travelover

Detective

• Members+
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

LOL - for the sex.

And because he's so "pretty".

Because he wouldn't leave her alone.

The more subtle reasons I think are because she saw similar things in him that are in herself.  There is a kindness and gentleness to Roarke, but also a determination and courage.  He always wants to please her - he puts her FIRST.

It's the total package.

#3 ruth

ruth

Chief

• Chief
  • 6,343 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:03 PM

We can all rest assured that it wasn't for his money.

Without Order.............Chaos Without Rules.............Anarchy
userbar293553ez5.gif]norafanbar.gif
 roarkebar.gif

indeathfanbar.gifteam-edward.jpg

#4 wont

wont

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,123 posts

• Favorite Character: Whitney

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:20 PM

We know she loved him by the time of the big scene in Glory when she stormed into his office after practically steamrollering Summerset. Yes, his face would be hard to ignore, but if he hadn't had the compassion and tenderness to be what Eve needed in a partner, I don't believe she could have loved him. Eve had major emotional walls built around her heart. We know there were "suitors" who showed interest over the years, but none were able to broach her defenses to get passed a quick round of sex. Webster may have had the emotional chops, but she never gave him a second thought. She easily brushed him aside. Roarke was smitten from the beginning and DID have the fortitude to keep digging. The more he did, the more she resisted, the more he fell for her. It was sort of a ying/yang type of thing. They kept bouncing off each other and then bounced back. They just kept getting in deeper as they worked it all out. Such a deal. This is all IMO of course. 

#5 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 325 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira (Dennis, too)

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:44 PM

Eve fell in love with Roarke because he was the one who taught her HOW to love in a one-on-one relationship.  Physically, emotionally and intellectually he was solely responsible for teaching her by continuing to press for the next level.  While she had family relationships with Mavis and Feeney, only Roarke pushed her to extend herself and create the need we all must have for a person to love.  The first three books were classic building blocks in her journey to make him absolutely indispensable to her life.

Lee

"I don't want to hear Mr. Mira in the same sentence with pasties."  Eve Dallas, Promises In Death

#6 ElectricOutcast2X

ElectricOutcast2X

Rookie

• Members+
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:51 PM

I think the biggest sticking point was the fact that his past was pretty much similar to hers, like Eve he went through some pretty abusive parents. I think if you have big background similarities, I think it plays a big role in her attraction for him. Also I think there's a sense of psychological safety that Eve feels when she's with Roarke especially with the nightmares she's had early in the series.

The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People but Between One Person and Himself- Garth Brooks

#7 wont

wont

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:58 AM

I also think another stumbling block for Eve was she wasn't capable of seeing herself in a positive light. She had never had anyone give her the affection and positive reinforcement most people need. Roarke did this constantly. (and still does) And, she couldn't understand (for a long time) why Roarke would want her, or that he truly loved her. Not just because of how beautiful he was which in her mind put him out of her league, but because she couldn't see anything desirable about herself. Mavis and Feeney never ventured there. Roarke did. 

#8 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 429 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Because unlike everyone else, he saw passed all her walls and armour to the core beneath. Because no matter how hard she tried to keep him away, he persisted. He cut through her BS. He tore down her fragile defences and he saw her for who she really was. Not just a good cop, but a person, still raw beneath, still hurting, still so frailly human that no matter how much she feared it, she wanted to be loved. Roarke showed her what it was to be truly wanted. He filled the dark shadows of herself. Both had seen how truly dark the world could be, but both had survived and with it, both understood each other better than anyone ever could.

I think Eve was terrified. She wanted to run screaming from what she felt. Even now it still scares her, but Roarke bit by bit is breaking down those last few walls.

He gave her warmth where others denied it.

He gave her the chance to see her own self worth.

He gave her love when her own parents refused to.

Roarke gave her so much. His love, his very soul and in return, Eve loved him. He was and is her home. 

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

She finds her destination,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#9 wont

wont

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:45 PM

Yep, I agree with all of that. I have to add, I think somehow Eve did the same for Roarke and he was able to understand that. He saw the similarities of personality and loss, almost from the beginning. They both looked passed the outer shell and no one else had done this, for either of them. Some of the things he said to her the morning after he spent the night at her apartment for the first time show he was already tuning into her psyche. I forgot which one said this later on, perhaps both, they saved each other. Ahhh Nora, what a tale you weave.  :P

#10 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 429 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

Yep, I agree with all of that. I have to add, I think somehow Eve did the same for Roarke and he was able to understand that. He saw the similarities of personality and loss, almost from the beginning. They both looked passed the outer shell and no one else had done this, for either of them. Some of the things he said to her the morning after he spent the night at her apartment for the first time show he was already tuning into her psyche. I forgot which one said this later on, perhaps both, they saved each other. Ahhh Nora, what a tale you weave.  :P

Yes. Roarke was even befuddled by it all. Which was adorable. Admitting himself he had never had the desire to pursue any woman like that before Eve. I love their relationship. I love how it grows and blooms book by book. :)

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#11 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 325 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira (Dennis, too)

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:35 PM

Yes. Roarke was even befuddled by it all. Which was adorable. Admitting himself he had never had the desire to pursue any woman like that before Eve. I love their relationship. I love how it grows and blooms book by book. :)

And there you have it.  Both well said.  And the reason I buy every one while avoiding several other series where the main characters never grow or develop.  They are the king and queen of the couple series.  Thanks again to NR.

Lee

"I don't want to hear Mr. Mira in the same sentence with pasties."  Eve Dallas, Promises In Death

#12 Candra

Candra

Traffic Cop

• Members
  • 78 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:16 AM

I'm pretty sure Eve fell in love with Roarke before she knew that they shared a similar past. She was definetely in love with him by the end of Naked and he didn't tell her about his father in the first book.

Roarke's face fascinated Eve, sure, but not only because he is "pretty". Eve has seen many very good looking men who didn't capture her attention, let alone her heart. Even before meeting him, when she had only seen his photo, Eve saw much more than beauty in it. She saw determination and strengh and that intrigued her.

But I think what made Eve fall in love with Roarke was how he reacted to seeing her weaknesses. He noticed her fear at intimicy and giving up control when they first had sex and he neither reacted by letting her have it her way (no emotions and she stays in charge) nor did he enjoy her fear and used the new found weakness to hurt her. When he noticed how tired and stressed she was, he took care of her, made sure she eats and sleeps, but he didn't see it as a waekness how much she cared for the victims, but he admired her for it. When she told him about her father raping her Roarke showed compassion but no pity. He gently tended to her injuries at the end of Naked (surely something nobody had done before). Eve can let her guard down with Roarke and he reacts with tenderness and love, without losing his respect for Eve for even a minute. He has seen her at her worst - weak and helpless as well as mean and angry. And he has been furious at her countless of times, but he hasn't for one second lost his love and respect for her. And he has never given up on her, never let her down, not even when she tried her hardest to push him away. He is the first person in Eve's life who knows her completely, with all her flaws and he only loved her more for that. I think it's very hard not to love someone who loves you so completely, not only in spite of your flaws and weak spots, but with them (and yes, that's a difference).

"It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting,

for only then can evil be kept at bay though never quite eradicated."

(Albus Dumbledore)

“There’s no such thing as winning or losing.

There is won and there is lost, there is victory and defeat.

There are absolutes. Everything in between is still left to fight for."

(Skulduggery Pleasant)

#13 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

I'm pretty sure Eve fell in love with Roarke before she knew that they shared a similar past. She was definetely in love with him by the end of Naked and he didn't tell her about his father in the first book.

Roarke's face fascinated Eve, sure, but not only because he is "pretty". Eve has seen many very good looking men who didn't capture her attention, let alone her heart. Even before meeting him, when she had only seen his photo, Eve saw much more than beauty in it. She saw determination and strengh and that intrigued her.

But I think what made Eve fall in love with Roarke was how he reacted to seeing her weaknesses. He noticed her fear at intimicy and giving up control when they first had sex and he neither reacted by letting her have it her way (no emotions and she stays in charge) nor did he enjoy her fear and used the new found weakness to hurt her. When he noticed how tired and stressed she was, he took care of her, made sure she eats and sleeps, but he didn't see it as a waekness how much she cared for the victims, but he admired her for it. When she told him about her father raping her Roarke showed compassion but no pity. He gently tended to her injuries at the end of Naked (surely something nobody had done before). Eve can let her guard down with Roarke and he reacts with tenderness and love, without losing his respect for Eve for even a minute. He has seen her at her worst - weak and helpless as well as mean and angry. And he has been furious at her countless of times, but he hasn't for one second lost his love and respect for her. And he has never given up on her, never let her down, not even when she tried her hardest to push him away. He is the first person in Eve's life who knows her completely, with all her flaws and he only loved her more for that. I think it's very hard not to love someone who loves you so completely, not only in spite of your flaws and weak spots, but with them (and yes, that's a difference).

Yes! Well said!!

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#14 Teresa55

Teresa55

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,373 posts

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

When I see the title to this thread, my first thought is "why do fools fall in love?"
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#15 chevy

chevy

Officer

• Members+
  • 365 posts

• Favorite Character: eve

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

I enjoyed reading all the posts. You are all correct, in analyzing and explaining why Eve fell in love with Roarke. But, please, all that aside, what normal woman, with a pulse and a brain, would not fall in love with Roarke?

#16 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:51 PM

I enjoyed reading all the posts. You are all correct, in analyzing and explaining why Eve fell in love with Roarke. But, please, all that aside, what normal woman, with a pulse and a brain, would not fall in love with Roarke?

Good point  :lollol:

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#17 birdwoman

birdwoman

Officer

• Members+
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:58 PM

A gay one, for sure. But, aside from that, I don't think I'd have liked him much in real person. He comes across as an arrogant dude a lot, and I'm not into that. He might be pretty to look at, but that ain't love.

Eve doesn't give a carp about the stuff that makes him so princely, which is why, IMO, he is so addicted to her. She keeps him real. Or, as real as a fictional character can be. :lol:

#18 Teresa55

Teresa55

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

A gay one, for sure. But, aside from that, I don't think I'd have liked him much in real person. He comes across as an arrogant dude a lot, and I'm not into that. He might be pretty to look at, but that ain't love.

Eve doesn't give a carp about the stuff that makes him so princely, which is why, IMO, he is so addicted to her. She keeps him real. Or, as real as a fictional character can be. :lol:

He may make some gay women consider switching ;)
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#19 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:49 AM

He may make some gay women consider switching ;)

I'll ask my girl Makayla. See if that's true. ;)  :lollol:

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#20 Candra

Candra

Traffic Cop

• Members
  • 78 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

That's pretty much my mother's reaction when she read the first book. Her first coment on Roarke was something like: "What an arrogant, controlling ass." :lol: 

"It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting,

for only then can evil be kept at bay though never quite eradicated."

(Albus Dumbledore)

“There’s no such thing as winning or losing.

There is won and there is lost, there is victory and defeat.

There are absolutes. Everything in between is still left to fight for."

(Skulduggery Pleasant)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users