Photo

Does anybody here still write fanfiction?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Candra

Candra

Traffic Cop

• Members
  • 78 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:18 PM

First, let me say that I respect and totally understand Nora's wish not to post fanfiction on this site anymore. She has put much time, thought and love into her characters, so seeing somebody do something to them that she wouldn't must be painful. But I'm still a little disappointed. I love writing fanfics and when I really love a book, show or movie, I constantly think about the characters and think "What would they do in this or that situation?" And if I can't get this thought out of my head I write about it. But now I'm not sure if I should do that with Eve and Roarke.

How do you handle this? Do you still write J.D. Robb fanfiction? And if yes, do you post it on your own websites or just write it without posting it anywhere, just for yourselves?

"It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting,

for only then can evil be kept at bay though never quite eradicated."

(Albus Dumbledore)

“There’s no such thing as winning or losing.

There is won and there is lost, there is victory and defeat.

There are absolutes. Everything in between is still left to fight for."

(Skulduggery Pleasant)

#2 ElectricOutcast

ElectricOutcast

Officer

• Members+
  • 220 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:27 PM

Sorta started one where it's just Eve and Roarke listening to music while making love, ain't finished it yet because I'm going through a block. I'll PM you mine in a bit.

The greatest conflicts are not between two people, but one person and himself.- Garth Brooks

#3 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,737 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

Forum moderator AJ says:

Obviously, since Nora has officially asked that we suspend posting of fan fiction here, we no longer allow it here on the forum....

http://www.indeath.n...been-suspended/

BUT... regular person/fan fic writer AJ speaking non-officially says...

If you want to write fan fiction, do it! If you want to, as Electric Outcast has, write and then let people know you have the story if they want it sent to them via their personal email account, you can. Nobody can really stop you from doing that.

Now, can Nora decide to be really petty and start sending emails to people telling them to stop? Yeah, she could, but I doubt that she would. I could be wrong, but I guess that's just a chance you take.

But, yeah...if you are really, really wanting to write something, do it! Even if you never show it to anyone else, still do it.

That's my own personal opinion, though.

AJ

#4 Candra

Candra

Traffic Cop

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the - non-official - encouragement. :lol:

I recently reread a book on married couples on the Titanic and just couldn't stop thinking "How would Eve and Roarke have behaved in this situation?" The Titanic was build in Ireland and even without that connection to his old home Roarke would surely have invested in the project if he had lived in 1912 and would have participated in the maiden voyage. I even researched and found out that a few years earlier the first police women started their career. Since then I can't get the idea of this story out of my head. :unsure:

Edited by Candra, 20 June 2016 - 08:24 PM.

(Albus Dumbledore)

(Skulduggery Pleasant)

#5 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,737 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:49 AM

That could be fun! I was going to post about what our rules are in regards to "crossover" fan fiction like that, but heck, it's not being posted here, so what do I care? I say go nuts!

I will, however, strongly discourage any and all "In Death" themed "slash" fan fiction.....Although...again....you're not posting it here, so, I have no control over what you might write....so....

:whistle: :lightning:

AJ

#6 Candra

Candra

Traffic Cop

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

I don't consider it a Crossover. The story wouldn't be based on any of the Titanic movies and the book I mentioned isn't fiction. It's about 13 real newly wed couples on the Titanic. It tells how they met, how it came that they were on the Titanic and about their behaviour during the sinking - how the men tried to save the women they loved and how the women were reluctant to leave without their husbands (there was a "women and children first" policy) - and in case one of them or both survived the book tells how their lives went on after the sinking and how the trauma affected them. So all characters in my story would either be J.D. Robb characters or people who really were on the Titanic.

(Albus Dumbledore)

(Skulduggery Pleasant)

#7 Zeijaku Hāto

Zeijaku Hāto

Detective

• Members+
  • 429 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

I write fanfiction, but for criminal minds mostly. I don't write in death fanfiction anymore :)

Midnight claims the sun,

Stars become the light,

She finds her destination,

On the road of night.

- -Emza

#8 birdwoman

birdwoman

Officer

• Members+
  • 258 posts

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:43 PM

I write fanfiction for stories that are 1) completely finished (e.g. pride and prejudice) OR 2) did really stupid stuff with the characters that I want to change/forget happened (e.g. Harry Potter). As ID is still going and in a direction that I still love, I don't get any ideas for it.

#9 palomira

palomira

Officer

• Members+
  • 325 posts

• Favorite Character: Charlotte Mira (Dennis, too)

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

I write fanfiction for stories that are 1) completely finished (e.g. pride and prejudice) OR 2) did really stupid stuff with the characters that I want to change/forget happened (e.g. Harry Potter). As ID is still going and in a direction that I still love, I don't get any ideas for it.

I can appreciate your attitude and intention.  I, on the other hand, am what I guess is a rare bird.  I would never characterize myself as an author of anything remotely story-like and so don't feel the need to use anyone else's characters in fiction attempts.  I guess I do read someone's fanfiction as I have purchased many of the stories using characters from P&P and the Wimsey/Vane stories.  I don't have a problem with a well-written story using the characters created by an author who is no longer available to continue using those characters.  (Especially if the estate gives permission, where necessary.)

I also find that Patterson/Cornwell/Evanovich have done, as you put it, "really stupid stuff with the characters..."  and storylines, but rather than writing corrections, I've stopped spening $$ on them (...and Coulter, too).  Getting close with Anne Perry.  This has significantly cut down on my husband/wife mystery solvers, but I have found that there are still lots of authors out there to discover.  (Maybe one of you.)

AND I have Nora/JDR, who works hard to create storylines around things that may be familiar to us while creating new ways to look at the situation.  Nora used a storyline based on another author's work (Dame Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution) which, I guess, you could call "fanfiction" ... but, and it' a big but, a very classy author did a very classy job of using a gem in her 18-carat setting.  (My but I do go on..)  :lollol:

Lee

"I don't want to hear Mr. Mira in the same sentence with pasties."  Eve Dallas, Promises In Death

#10 easyreader

easyreader

Traffic Cop

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:46 PM

I like the website www.fanfiction.com myself. There are a few indeath fan fictions there, of course they were better here until Nora put her foot down. If you still want to write, post there and then let people know it's up.

#11 ElectricOutcast2X

ElectricOutcast2X

Rookie

• Members+
  • 130 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

A little off-topic and I imagine the fanfic gag-order is still in place over here but did any of you notice that somebody apparently made an update to one of their old fanfics? Apparently this was updated three days ago.

http://www.indeath.n...734-chapter-29/

The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People but Between One Person and Himself- Garth Brooks

#12 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,737 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

A little off-topic and I imagine the fanfic gag-order is still in place over here but did any of you notice that somebody apparently made an update to one of their old fanfics? Apparently this was updated three days ago.

http://www.indeath.n...734-chapter-29/

It was actually updated a while back, possibly before the ban, but it was never officially approved by the moderators. But, I was doing a little site housekeeping the other day and saw that it was still in the queue and decided to go ahead and approve it.

AJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users