#21 Teresa55

Teresa55

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,363 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

Aren't computers obsolete a year later anyway? I wouldn't consider it a YANNI. :lol:
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#22 Dozysparks

Dozysparks

Rookie

• Members+
  • 174 posts

• Favorite Character: Galahad

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Aren't computers obsolete a year later anyway? I wouldn't consider it a YANNI. :lol:

Yeah dammit!! and then as they get newer they seem to have a higher component failure rate.. or is that just the flogged up ones full of red dirt in my patch of desert?? :cry_1:

I love a sunburnt country, A land of sweeping plains, Of ragged mountain ranges, Of droughts and flooding rains. I love her far horizons, I love her jewel-sea, Her beauty and her terror - The wide brown land for me!

- My Country, Dorothea McKellar

#23 Eve's alter ego

Eve's alter ego

Officer

• Members+
  • 272 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

Okay, could have worded it better, but thanks. I was thinking of the Santa in holiday. Although I am going to need to reread Visions for lack of remembering(:

You re welcome.. And better? How do you mean, better???
Uthra
You are like a damn chess board, Eve. Bloody black and white!
You never asked yourself, not even once, if I made a play for you because of the money?
You didn't make a play for me. I made the play....
It was you, Lieutenant, who fell into my guile, after I gave you a bloody good shove.

#24 cookieskreme

cookieskreme

Civilian

• Non-Active Members
  • 1 posts

• Favorite Character: Feeney

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Does anyone know whether or not Eve knows about the grey button? I seem to remember her being 'baffled' by Roarke showing her the button...(or perhaps it was something else she was fazed by- she so often is when it comes to Roarke). If yes, does anyone have a book reference?

#25 WickedWitchOfTheWest

WickedWitchOfTheWest

Deputy Inspector

• Chief
  • 3,059 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve and Roarke - they're more fun together

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

Does anyone know whether or not Eve knows about the grey button? I seem to remember her being 'baffled' by Roarke showing her the button...(or perhaps it was something else she was fazed by- she so often is when it comes to Roarke). If yes, does anyone have a book reference?

She knows about the button. Roarke tells her he has it in Naked in Death itself, that he's been carrying it around like "a lock of his sweetheart's hair", or something to that effect. :wub: The Button page in the Wiki says it's on pg 215, US hardcover.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - Dumbledore

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen, Anthem

#26 erryyn

erryyn

Trebuchet operations tech

• Chief
  • 3,945 posts

• Favorite Character: Petrov

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

The Button page in the Wiki says it's on pg 215, US hardcover.

The Wiki strikes again!!! Posted Image

:thumbsup:
Injuries in Death

Posted ImagePosted Image

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. ~ Will Rogers

Posted Image

#27 mog614

mog614

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

Gotta love the Wiki!

#28 Bean

Bean

Civilian

• Members
  • 35 posts

• Favorite Character: Mira

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:29 AM

Okay, so I seem to remember reading about a case where Eve let Trina help her ' go undercover ' to catch a perp in the park... Roarke got closer than she thought right, as always... Anyone know if I'm crazy or if there really is a book like this? Thanks(:

#29 erryyn

erryyn

• Chief
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

Okay, so I seem to remember reading about a case where Eve let Trina help her ' go undercover ' to catch a perp in the park... Roarke got closer than she thought right, as always... Anyone know if I'm crazy or if there really is a book like this? Thanks(:

The arrest of Kevin Morano, in the park, was in Seduction in Death - U.S. mm, pp. 294-305 (Chapter 19). Wiki score!
Injuries in Death

Posted ImagePosted Image

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. ~ Will Rogers

Posted Image

#30 Bean

Bean

Civilian

• Members
  • 35 posts

• Favorite Character: Mira

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

Gotta love the wiki(: thanks.

#31 susann

susann

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,654 posts
  • Location:New York, NY - 10 blocks away from Roarke's mansion

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

Just as an aside: when I read the latest "quote" question, the name of the club was "Bang-She-Bang", and it got me thinking of all the fantastic names Nora comes up with for businesses in ID. I gotta go check the WIKI and see if there's a list of businesses- You know, there are services that charge many thousands of dollars to help people come up with names for their new businesses- Nora could make (another) fortune!!

Yeah, In know I should go check the WIKI before I post such things, but once I go there I keep going and looking and before I know it, an hour has passed and I gotta get to work!!
We make a living by what we get,
but we make a life by what we give.
Winston Churchill

#32 erryyn

erryyn

• Chief
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

I gotta go check the WIKI and see if there's a list of businesses ...

Roarke Owned contains a list of Roarke's businesses but there is no single Category for all businesses. We do, however, have some businesses listed under:

Restaurants
Clubs
Bars

Health (will include hospitals, rehab centers, spas, etc.)
Transportation (businesses like Rapid Cab, transport centers, etc.)

There are, certainly, more businesses in the Wiki but those Categories are the first that come immediately to mind ... if one shudders at the thought of reading through the Glossary. ;)
Injuries in Death

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#33 susann

susann

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,654 posts
  • Location:New York, NY - 10 blocks away from Roarke's mansion

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:14 AM

Thanks- I am always fearful of going to the WIKI because I spend hours there! But I do love all the great names Nora comes up with for the various businesses in ID.
We make a living by what we get,
but we make a life by what we give.
Winston Churchill

#34 ~enigma~

~enigma~

Officer

• Members+
  • 375 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve and Roarke

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

In one of the ID books I read I came across a scene in which Roarke sees a whole gamut of emotions in Eve's eyes in a few seconds till they become unreadable...I'm wondering if eyes are really that expressive?...or is it just adding to the drama for the reader's benefit? I agree you can see the eyes soften or fire up but can they (just the eyes..rest of the face impassive)really express every type of emotion that way? And here in India eye color is rather restricted to black and brown and an occasional gray or something..so can blue become deeper or hotter or icier like Roarke's?

#35 Joe

Joe

Baxter's Personal Therapist

• Chief
  • 9,235 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke and Baxter...I like the boys.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

Actually, lighter colored eyes can change colors even not based on emotions. My eyes change colors depending on what I'm wearing (they're hazel, tending toward green). If I'm wearing a green shirt, they look "true green". If I'm wearing blue, you can see the blue come out in my eyes. That's pretty normal with people with lighter colored eyes. As for expressions, yes I think that you can see emotions in the eyes, even when the face doesn't change.

#36 ~enigma~

~enigma~

Officer

• Members+
  • 375 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve and Roarke

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

Nice...I have boring brown eyes..can you see the range of emotions as described in books?...that many? Like mortification,dismissal and stuff like that...not the usual fear,anger,lust or humor.

#37 BonnieR

BonnieR

Detective

• Members+
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

In one of the ID books I read I came across a scene in which Roarke sees a whole gamut of emotions in Eve's eyes in a few seconds till they become unreadable...I'm wondering if eyes are really that expressive?...or is it just adding to the drama for the reader's benefit? I agree you can see the eyes soften or fire up but can they (just the eyes..rest of the face impassive)really express every type of emotion that way? And here in India eye color is rather restricted to black and brown and an occasional gray or something..so can blue become deeper or hotter or icier like Roarke's?

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to bring up. AFAIK, green is even more recessive than blue, as far as eye color, yet an inordinate number of characters ID have green eyes (and I suspect the number of redheads is statistically unbalanced as well); but then, it is fantasy, I suppose.
Bonnie
California
@kleinemocha

"There is communion of more than our bodies when bread is broken and wine drunk." -- M.F.K. Fisher

#38 Jennilea911

Jennilea911

Officer

• Members+
  • 218 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas and Jamie Lingstrom

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

Well I have never seen it because I dont look in the mirror when I am mad but my mom and michael and others like my teachers when I was in school always told me mine change when I get really mad...I have pretty much basic blue eyes but I am also a redhead and when I get really mad they change dark gray and my face gets red... I dont know about other emotions I have only been told they change when I am really mad.. Its kinda a funny thought because my mom says I look like a tea kettle ready to explode when I am mad....LOL

*IN DEATH MAMA*

Posted Image Posted Image

#39 LovelySadie

LovelySadie

Peabody's Understudy

• Chief
  • 768 posts

• Favorite Character: Peabody & Feeney

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

I have noticed the inordinate amount of characters in the books with green eyes...which are recessive...I am the only one in my entire family (extended to include grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc on both sides...) with green eyes...Mom's are brown and Dad's are grey-blue...but hey, maybe Nora is a big fan of green eyes...

About the number of emotions that can be read in the eyes, I have always loved the way Nora focuses on the way eyes can change and what they can tell us...you might not think about it since you don't usually see yourself when you're extremely angry or upset or excited or anything. There's some cliche saying out there about eyes being the gateway to the soul or something, but I'm a firm believer that cliche is what it is for a reason...

An interesting point though...has me thinking...but no one has time for my rediculous analysis of eye color/emotion/characterizations...so, I'll leave that be :)

"I want to do something splendid before I go into my castle-something heroic, or wonderful, that won't be forgotten after I'm dead. I don't know what, but I'm on the watch for it, and mean to astonish you all, some day."-Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

"We make messes of our lives, but every now and then we manage to do something that's exactly right. The challenge is figuring out which is which."-Jodi Picoult, Vanishing Acts

https://twitter.com/tncorkery

http://takearunningjump.blogspot.com/

#40 WickedWitchOfTheWest

WickedWitchOfTheWest

Deputy Inspector

• Chief
  • 3,059 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve and Roarke - they're more fun together

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

Nice...I have boring brown eyes..can you see the range of emotions as described in books?...that many? Like mortification,dismissal and stuff like that...not the usual fear,anger,lust or humor.

Yeah. It's the brown/black eyes. I'm yet to see 'black eyes flash' as so many books say they do. Blue/green eyes, however, do change - one of my friends does that when she's angry and, the first time I saw it, I spent 5 minutes wondering if her eyes had been that same colour the last time I saw her. Then I got screamed at 'cause I forgot to make the periodic soothing sounds and wasn't paying attention to her rant. :P But until I saw that, I wondered, too. You can tell when black/brown eyes are angry or about to cry, but they don't change colour while expressing that.

As for green eyes, linking that to the brown eyes thing - maybe it just sounds better when eyes can be described as 'stormy' or 'icy', as opposed to 'muddy'. :lol:
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - Dumbledore

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen, Anthem

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users