Photo

Dark Witch - Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy

ATTENTION!!:

This thread discusses the Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, and is marked as a SPOILER THREAD!!

What does that mean? That means that if you read posts in this thread, you will see information directly from the books and the books of this series WILL be spoiled for you. If you plan on reading the Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy and do not want any part of this series spoiled for you, DO NOT READ FURTHER! Not all information will be in a spoiler tag!! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 IDaddict56

IDaddict56

Detective

• Members+
  • 554 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

There's a link to an excerpt from Nora's new Dark Witch book in a blog post today:

http://www.norarober...itchexcerpt.pdf

#2 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,181 posts

• Favorite Character: Detective Peabody

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

I read this at the end of an old Nora I downloaded to my Kindle this weekend.  Anyone else find Iona really really annoying?

Fries before guys, foods before dudes.

#3 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,409 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

I read this at the end of an old Nora I downloaded to my Kindle this weekend.  Anyone else find Iona really really annoying?

I started reading this last night. No, Iona doesn't annoy me.

I'm only a couple of chapters into it, but really liking it so far. Nora is amazing at telling the background story so that you know exactly what the main characters will be up against when the main story/stories start.

For those of you who might be thrown by the spelling/pronunciation of the bad guy's name, remember that as with Roarke's mother, Siobhan, in Irish Gaelic, "bh" says "v". So Cabhan would be pronounced "Cavan" with a hard "c".

AJ

#4 Aerial

Aerial

Detective

• Members+
  • 525 posts

• Favorite Character: Peabody

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:40 AM

I started reading my kindle version today and I'm enjoying it very much!!  Then, I was surprised by the arrival of the "Dark Witch" audiobook--WoooHooo!  So, I'm going to listen it to all the way through!   :bravo: :walkman: :nora: :heart:

Posted Image

For non-posted,more provocative images go to my Photobucket "In Death Gallery"
http://s146.photobuc...hics%20Gallery/

#5 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,181 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

I started reading this last night. No, Iona doesn't annoy me.

Maybe I'll like her better when I get more into the book but in the excerpt, she really got on my nerves. But as my sister says, Nora just draws you right in to the story,so annoying character or not, I'm looking forward to reading it this weekend. (My copy should arrive today or tomorrow, Amazon says. Due to the sister who won't go Kindle, I ordered a hard copy.)

#6 primrose

primrose

Civilian

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

I finished last night. No, Iona didn't get on my nerves but I thought she jumped into the relationship a bit too quickly. I wondered if Nora had to push that because the introduction was longer than usual -- the "fall" seemed forced to me. I LOVED the animals, especially Iona's relationship with horses. No one writes animal companions like Nora!

Overall I thought it was a good set up novel for the rest and I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy.

Edited by primrose, 01 November 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#7 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 4,543 posts

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Just a few chapters into the book and loving it.  Iona doesn't seem annoying and Branna does a good job of cutting her off and setting the record straight when she babbles.  Love her relationship with Alastar.   

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#8 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,181 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Branna does a good job of cutting her off and setting the record straight when she babbles. 

Yes, that's exactly what bothered me, the way Iona babbled.  She seemed like such a flake.

#9 Roarkesbabe

Roarkesbabe

Rookie

• Members+
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

I do find Iona a bit annoying but in a likable way! Enjoying it so far, interesting back story.

#10 primrose

primrose

Civilian

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

A nervous talker sometimes myself, I probably related to her a bit  :lol: -- that and the love of horses! Perhaps why she didn't get on my nerves. 

I probably will do a re-read right before the next one comes out.

#11 WindSeeker

WindSeeker

Detective

• Members+
  • 529 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve, Galahad, or Summerset

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

The reader for the audiobooks is fantastic, guys.  I have a friend from college who is a nervous talker as well and were she not my friend, she'd drive me nuts, but she is, so I got a kick out of Iona.  I love, love, love the male and female um... "bonding" scenes (beer and salt for the guys, wine, pizza, and sweets for the girls)

I thought this bit of dialogue was hilarious...

Iona, "It's perfect! We should all be Lesbians."
Mara, "You'll have to speak for yourself there."
Iona, "I think the Amazons were probably Lesbians, or some of them anyway.  That's what I thought of you when I first saw you."
Mara, "You took a look at me and thought 'Why there's a Lesbian'?"

By the way, I love all the "Irish-isms" in this book, it reminds me of Roarke when he's pissed or drunk.
I also love the animals in the bookm makes me miss riding horses so much.

#12 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Love Queen Bee, how she tried to milk her injury to Iona. And wanted her mane braided. :lol: 

Posted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#13 wont

wont

Detective

• Members+
  • 486 posts

• Favorite Character: Whitney

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

Does Susan Ericksen perform all the Nora audios as well? I love her Roarke accent and also love "Irish-isms".

#14 Donna

Donna

Inspector

• Chief
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

The reader for the audiobooks is fantastic, guys.  I have a friend from college who is a nervous talker as well and were she not my friend, she'd drive me nuts, but she is, so I got a kick out of Iona.  I love, love, love the male and female um... "bonding" scenes (beer and salt for the guys, wine, pizza, and sweets for the girls)

Iona, "I think the Amazons were probably Lesbians, or some of them anyway.  That's what I thought of you when I first saw you."

By the way, I love all the "Irish-isms" in this book, it reminds me of Roarke when he's pissed or drunk.

Shouldn't that exchange be under a spoiler tag?  I'd fix it but can't on my Fire.

Posted Image
"He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...)

Women are much like angels. When you break our wings we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why so many people appear to be bright until they open their mouths.

Diva of In Death

#15 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

Shouldn't that exchange be under a spoiler tag?  I'd fix it but can't on my Fire.

No, that's not a spoiler. It gives nothing away.

AJ

#16 WindSeeker

WindSeeker

Detective

• Members+
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

Susan Ericksen does not narrate this book its uh... Katherine Kellgren, who is super enthusiastic.  Some of her voices I'm not fond of (I think she makes some of the women sound too old), but otherwise, its a good performance.  I don't think I'd have liked SE for this one, mostly because I can just hear her using a Mavis like voice for Iona, and I can only take that much exuberance in small doses. :)  Some of Kellgren's narration made me laugh at inappropriate scenes because she was really into the acting and overacted a bit, but I thought it fit Iona's character.

#17 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

Ok, so, I'm about half way through this book, and to be honest, this has kind of been a bit of a chore for me. The book is good, but, it's so similar to several other book series that Nora's written, I feel like I've read it all before, and so, I'm getting kind of bored. I get one chapter in, and then I get distracted and have a hard time coming back to it. Hopefully, the book picks up, and I can stay interested.

AJ

#18 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

I hear you AJ, I'm thinking of the Circle of Seven and that other trilogy with Fox and the other gang, can't think of the name now because I didn't care for it.  You have the girl learning her craft, the expert who's in conflict with the man who is the wanderer.  The homebodies who haven't figured out they're in love yet.  And the dog of course.  Reminds me of the Purple Prose Parody, Dora's Ladies from 2001 or 2002. 

Posted Image

#19 WindSeeker

WindSeeker

Detective

• Members+
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:44 AM

It reminded me of the Key trilogy... some amorphous baddie ancient power fixating on three people for some reason or another, three people find love and everyone is okay with magic...

#20 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

Just missing the cute kid.  ;)

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users