#1 Quinlan1973

Quinlan1973

Rookie

• Members
  • 116 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Just spotted this on Amazon. Here's the blurb & the cover art.

In a decrepit, long-empty New York building, Lieutenant Eve Dallas’s husband begins the demolition process by swinging a sledgehammer into a wall. When the dust clears, there are two skeletons wrapped in plastic behind it. He summons his wife immediately—and by the time she’s done with the crime scene, there are twelve murders to be solved.

The place once housed a makeshift shelter for troubled teenagers, back in the mid-2040s, and Eve tracks down the people who ran it. Between their recollections and the work of the force’s new forensic anthropologist, Eve begins to put names and faces to the remains. They are all young girls. A tattooed tough girl who dealt in illegal drugs. The runaway daughter of a pair of well-to-do doctors. They all had their stories. And they all lost their chance for a better life.

Then Eve discovers a connection between the victims and someone she knows. And she grows even more determined to reveal the secrets of the place that was called The Sanctuary—and the evil concealed in one human heart.

-----------------------

Sounds promising!

Attached Files

#2 pennie1478

pennie1478

Traffic Cop

• Members
  • 94 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

I wonder if the person she knows s from her youth.

Roarke slinging a sledgehammer. I hope he has his shirt off while he's doing it.

#3 Donna

Donna

Inspector

• Chief
  • 6,697 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Roarke slinging a sledgehammer. I hope he has his shirt off while he's doing it.

Hmmmmm................. :naughty:

Posted Image
"He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...)

Women are much like angels. When you break our wings we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why so many people appear to be bright until they open their mouths.

Diva of In Death

#4 mog614

mog614

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

Why don't these books have pictures? :frustrated:

#5 chevy

chevy

Officer

• Members+
  • 307 posts

• Favorite Character: eve

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

Pictures of whom? Roarke? good luck. On a recent thread, a miracle happened. We actually got many of us to agree on a possible Roarke- Henry Cavill. I'm one of those that thought he was an excellent choice, to replace an aging Hugh.

Well, I just saw him on Jay leno, ten minutes ago. He's close, but he's still not my perfect Roarke. Which is one of the reasons, I imagine, that there are no photos. I thinks Nora has also said, that she had no particular actor in mind for Roarke. We all have a different picture in our heads, for him, with or without his shirt.

This book sounds interesting.  I wonder if the someone she knows, is Mavis, or Charles. I'm looking forward to this one.

#6 Shayde

Shayde

Captain

• Members+
  • 2,899 posts

• Favorite Character: Summerset

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

Because the pictures only exist in your head, which means any actual illustrations could NEVER come close to what you're picturing! :P

Sounds all very interesting, so something to look forward to February.   Though do wonder if Roarke, after hefting the heavy tool and finding the various bodies, would consider that it's only after he got married, that this sort of thing happens a lot now... :lollol:

He says he's clever, suave and devilishly handsome. 'Tis a shame he's also a liar....

#7 mog614

mog614

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

This book sounds interesting.  I wonder if the someone she knows, is Mavis, or Charles. I'm looking forward to this one.

Wow, I never thought of Charles. We don't know any of his backstory. I thought of Mavis right away, but Charles would be pretty interesting, too.

#8 Quinlan1973

Quinlan1973

Rookie

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

I'm betting it would be Mavis. She was a runaway street grifter after all.

#9 UnderdogBulldog

UnderdogBulldog

Civilian

• Non-Active Members
  • 1 posts

• Favorite Character: Peabody

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

As for Roarke swinging a sledgehammer...  Does it really matter what he's wearing or the lack of what he's wearing?  It just goes to show that he can do some "ceremonial" hard labor every once in a while and that us "general public" will swoon everytime he does.  *hrm...  mental images of shirt on, shirt off, etc. :shades: :faint:*

As for the Eve connection, it could be Charles, it could be Mavis, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone coming outta left field on us that we wouldn't expect (Louise, someone from the NYPSD, etc.).  I can, with out a doubt, tellyou who it isn't...  :catcream:

#10 Travelover

Travelover

Officer

• Members+
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Oh, I hope the "connection" is Mavis.  We know so very little about her back story - how and why she began grifting other than she had been a runaway, what her family was like, etc.

I love how Mavis has been determined to be a good mom to make a better life for her daughter.  Yes, Leonardo and her career made a difference in Mavis' life - but it was Eve Dallas who made the real difference.  I'd like to know WHY Mavis decided to glom on to Eve and go along with whatever "rules" Eve set for Mavis.

I soooo love Bella.  I would love MORE Bella/Eve interaction.

Roarke swinging a sledge hammer?  I'm with Eve - anything physical - YUMM.

Edited by Travelover, 11 July 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#11 wont

wont

Detective

• Members+
  • 488 posts

• Favorite Character: Whitney

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

OMG, not to be a drag, but I hope seriously it isn't Mavis. Can't stand her. And I could do without more Belle as well. I would love to see more of Charles, or Baxter, or Trueheart. 

#12 Roarkesbabe

Roarkesbabe

Rookie

• Members+
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

I'm betting its Mavis due to the runaway issue. It would be interesting to know her back story and I now wonder why, this far into the series, we haven't heard much about it. Considering her relationship to Eve, and it's importance, we should probably know more! This sounds like an interesting story but has to be sad!

#13 ghostlee

ghostlee

Rookie

• Members+
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

Just to throw this out there but maybe the connection is Mira, it may turn out that she once worked there counselling the kids.  Or maybe Louise spent time there as a kid.

I also found the following on Ebooks.com

There is nothing unusual about billionaire Roarke supervising work on his new property - but when he takes a ceremonial swing at the first wall to be knocked down, he uncovers the body of a girl. And then another - in fact, twelve dead girls concealed behind a false wall.

Luckily for Roarke, he is married to the best police lieutenant in town. Eve Dallas is determined to find the killer - especially when she discovers that the building used to be a sanctuary for deliquent teenagers and the parallel with her past as a young runaway hits hard.

As the girls' identities are slowly unravelled by the department's crack forensic team, Eve and her staunch sidekick Peabody get closer to the shocking truth...

Ghostlee

#14 Joe

Joe

Baxter's Personal Therapist

• Chief
  • 9,217 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke and Baxter...I like the boys.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Louise comes from a wealthy family, one who didn't care much about charitable works. I sincerely doubt it's Louise. :)

I'm betting Mavis. Or Mira is an interesting thought too!

#15 Travelover

Travelover

Officer

• Members+
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

Louise comes from a wealthy family, one who didn't care much about charitable works. I sincerely doubt it's Louise. :)

I'm betting Mavis. Or Mira is an interesting thought too!

I've said before I do hope it's Mavis because we've never seen or heard her back story.  My thinking maybe she had runaway from this home.

The time these books are written is set in 2060 - and apparently, the murders took place in the 2040's.  We do know Mira had been sexually abused by her step father as a young girl/teenager and was a troubled teen - who had finally confessed the awful events to her biological parents who had eventually reconciled.  BUT Mira is now a grandmother - so the time frame for Mira to having been a teen at this facility might be a little tight - UNLESS she was a consulting psychiatrist to this home when she was younger.  

I can see Roarke doing one of those ground breaking ceremonies - hoisting a sledge hammer, taut muscles rippling....

#16 ghostlee

ghostlee

Rookie

• Members+
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

That is what I ment, that Mira during her trainning spent time in this home/shelter

Ghostlee

#17 Quinlan1973

Quinlan1973

Rookie

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Mira may have a connection to the shelter but I doubt it's due to any training. I believe that Mira is in her early 60's so at the time this shelter was active she'd have been in her 40's. Unless she got a late start on her psychiatrict career she'd be a licensed shrick by that time.

My money is still on Mavis.

#18 Amateur

Amateur

Officer

• Members+
  • 311 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Because the pictures only exist in your head, which means any actual illustrations could NEVER come close to what you're picturing! :P

Sounds all very interesting, so something to look forward to February.   Though do wonder if Roarke, after hefting the heavy tool and finding the various bodies, would consider that it's only after he got married, that this sort of thing happens a lot now... :lollol:

Actually, these thing did happen to him before he met Eve.  Roarke tells about when he acquired his first gu, how the smuggler tried to rob him and he came away with the merchandise and the gun...another time he tells Eve about why he doesn't have a boat - the guy who was swept overboard during a storm.  So adventure was a part of Roarke's life from his beginning as a grifter and pickpocket.

Roarke appreciates Eve's courage and heart because he has had so much experience with bad cops and crooks over the years.

Common sense is not so common..

#19 iwill67

iwill67

Detective

• Members+
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Here is the quote from the book:  The place once housed a makeshift shelter for troubled teenagers, back in the mid-2040s, and Eve tracks down the people who ran it. Between their recollections and the work of the force’s new forensic anthropologist, Eve begins to put names and faces to the remains. They are all young girls. A tattooed tough girl who dealt in illegal drugs. The runaway daughter of a pair of well-to-do doctors. They all had their stories. And they all lost their chance for a better life.

I think maybe the pair of well-to-do-doctors could have been Louise's parents. Is it possible that maybe Louise had a sister she never talks about, a runaway who disappeared? Too painful for Louise to discuss? 

It was my first thought anyway.

#20 WindSeeker

WindSeeker

Detective

• Members+
  • 529 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve, Galahad, or Summerset

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Could be Trina or Nadine... You never know, but I'm betting it was Mavis as well.  I am really looking forward to this book, with the exception of Haunted, we really haven't dealt with less than "fresh" victims, if you will.  (Not counting the mass grave in Visions).  I love forensic anthropology and am fascinated by it greatly. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users