#1 vettech

vettech

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 790 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Eve Dallas

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:58 AM

I was just posting in the celebrity obits and thought of this great topic. The Tiger Beat magazine got me to thinking of my teenage years, lord what a time warp that was!!! :lollol:

I was remembering some of the old record albums I have, so just now went to the basement and found a bunch of oldies I still have. Oh, course I no longer have a record player to play them on, now that they are obsolete and CD's are the in thing!!

How many of you out there remember Bobby Sherman, David and Shaun Cassidy, the Captain & Tennille, The Bay City Rollers. I use to have a big crush on Tony DeFranco, of the DeFrancos singing group. I just found out I still have the album from 1973 of the DeFrancos. I also have a box full of old 45 singles. I really need to get a new record play so I can listen to these again, though I'm not sure if I'll still think they are so great as I once did!! :lol:

So, does anyone else out there have any nostalgic things they remember from years gone by they'd like to share?
LISA
"We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 MzShel

MzShel

Officer

• Members+
  • 270 posts

• Favorite Character: Peabody

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:15 AM

OMG! I remember Tony DeFranco! And I loved the Bay City Rollers.
As teens my sister and I had all our favorite teen idol posters from Tiger Beat on the walls. My dad used to tease us that we didn't need to paint our bedroom because there wasn't an inch of bare wall to be seen.
We had Leif Garrett, Shaun Cassidy, and Donny Osmond and so many others that I can't even name off the top of my head.
I don't have any of my albums left. I stored them in my mother's garage when I moved out and my sister's dog shredded the box and all the contents.

#3 kjen

kjen

Officer

• Members+
  • 316 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:27 AM

Good old Tiger Beat Magazine! I remember that and read it regularly.

I crushed on the guy with the curly blond hair from the movie Blue Lagoon....whatever his name was. :P

When I was younger than the "crushing" stage, I remember playing with toys like the Six Million Dollar Man (Steve Austin) and Biotic Woman (Lindsay Wagoner) action figures. I also remember Stretch Armstrong...how weird is that. I'm sure that I didn't personally own Stretch and just played with him. I was a tomboy, though. ;)

For tunes, Centerfold by the J.Giles Band was wildly popular during my freshman year of high school. Also during that time, there was a country song called "I'm gonna hire a wino to decorate our home." I am not kidding. We laughed about that a lot! :lol:

Great topic, Lisa!
"One Ranger is all you'll ever need." --(Carlos 'Ranger' Manoso, Twelve Sharp)

"Motivation is a fire best lit from within."--Anon.

"Hasn't anyone ever given you a second chance? Adopt A Pet."

"The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway."

#4 vettech

vettech

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:49 AM

Jen, that Blue lagoon kid was Christopher Atkins, I think his name was.

Loved the song Centerfold too...as well as, Gloria (I forget who sang that one), Lover Boy (saw them in concert when I was in college in Rapid City, SD back in the 80's), REO Speedwagon, then there was another song, can't think of the name, so help someone, here are some of the words.."we got to move these refrigerators, we got to move these color TV's, we've got some restored microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries". Yeah, I know the words are a bit strange, any takers on this? Lelani and Carole may know as you kids are close to my age!! :lollol:

Man, this is fun remembering this stuff!! :cheer:
LISA
"We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 IDFAN

IDFAN

Eve's stunt double for sex scenes

• Chief
  • 6,955 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt. Eve Dallas

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:55 AM

there was another song, can't think of the name, so help someone, here are some of the words.."we got to move these refrigerators, we got to move these color TV's, we've got some restored microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries". Yeah, I know the words are a bit strange, any takers on this? Lelani and Carole may know as you kids are close to my age!! :lollol:

Bite your tongue!

Dire Straits
Money for Nothing (1988)
Money For Nothing

Now Look At Them Yo-Yo's That's The Way You Do It
You Play The Guitar On The MTV
That Ain't Workin' That's The Way You Do It
Money For Nothin' And Chicks For Free
Now That Ain't Workin' That's The Way You Do It
Lemme Tell Ya Them Guys Ain't Dumb
Maybe Get A Blister On Your Little Finger
Maybe Get A Blister On Your Thumb

We Gotta Install Microwave Ovens
Custom Kitchen Deliveries
We Gotta Move These Refrigerators
We Gotta Move These Color TV's

See The Little Faggot With The Earring And The Make-Up
Yeah Buddy That's His Own Hair
That Little Faggot Got His Own Jet Airplane
That Little Faggot He's Millionaire

We Gotta Install Microwawve Ovens

I Shoulda Learned To Play The Guitar
I Shoulda Learned To Play Them Drums
Look At That Mama, She Got It Stickin' In The Camera
Man We Could Have Some Fun
And He's Up There, What's That ? Hawaiian Noises ?
Bangin' On The Bongoes Like A Chimpanzee
Get Your Money For Nothin' Get Your Chicks For Free

We Gotta Install Ovens
We Gotta Move These Color TV's, Lord

Money For Nothin' Get Your Chicks For Free
Money For Nothin' Get Chicks For Free

Laie_42.gif

True friendship multiplies the good in life and divides its evils. Strive to have friends, for life without friends is like life on a desert island... to find one real friend in a lifetime is good fortune; to keep him is a blessing.

Baltasar Gracian

#6 vettech

vettech

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:11 AM

:lollol: Yes, that's my girl, I knew you'd remember that one, hey you're just a year younger than me sweetie!! :P

Dire Straits Money for nothing, loved that song, still do!! How'd you know all the words too woman!

I remember when I was in college in South Dakota, it was maybe my 21st birthday and a bunch of us went to see the movie Porky's, it had just come out....anyone remember that one? I lived in the dorm in a four person room and we had a pool out in back of the dorm and the guys would come into the girls rooms we'd all be screaming and they'd come in and pick you up then throw you into the pool. Also, there were some cute guys that were pledging for the frats and they'd have a "panty raid" and steal the girls underwear, with extra points for those that could get some really sexy panties!! Ah, yes, those were the good old days, ladies!! :bigwink:
LISA

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Joe

Joe

Baxter's Personal Therapist

• Chief
  • 9,214 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke and Baxter...I like the boys.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:16 AM

OH MY GOD. That song gives me the jitters. :lol: My uncle was WASTED, and when his STUPID dog started humping my leg, my uncle said "Hey Jen! Money for nothing or the chicks for free." :P :lol: I Think I was about..10. :lol: That song still gives me the scratch. To this day. :lol: I HATE it when I hear it. Unfortunately, because it's honestly a GREAT song!

Seriously GREAT topic Lisa!

Like I said in the obits thread. I loved me some River, Kirk, and NKOTB. I also was the freak who LOVED Johnny Depp, as well as Richard Grieco. And then there was Christian Slater. Don't mess with me when it comes to him. OMG. Sexiest. Man. EVER.

#8 bigd_041555

bigd_041555

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

Dire Straits
Money for Nothing (1988)
Money For Nothing

Now Look At Them Yo-Yo's That's The Way You Do It
Money For Nothin' And Chicks For Free
Lemme Tell Ya Them Guys Ain't Dumb
Maybe Get A Blister On Your Little Finger
Maybe Get A Blister On Your Thumb

We Gotta Install Microwave Ovens

See The Little Faggot With The Earring And The Make-Up
Yeah Buddy That's His Own Hair
That Little Faggot Got His Own Jet Airplane
That Little Faggot He's Millionaire

We Gotta Install Microwawve Ovens

I Shoulda Learned To Play The Guitar
I Shoulda Learned To Play Them Drums
Look At That Mama, She Got It Stickin' In The Camera
Man We Could Have Some Fun
And He's Up There, What's That ? Hawaiian Noises ?
Bangin' On The Bongoes Like A Chimpanzee
Get Your Money For Nothin' Get Your Chicks For Free

We Gotta Install Ovens
We Gotta Move These Color TV's, Lord

Money For Nothin' Get Your Chicks For Free
Money For Nothin' Get Chicks For Free

I actually like the song and never gave much thought to the lyrics until about 2 months ago, when the song was banned from the airways in Newfoundland and I think a couple of other provinces in Canada!

Can you guess why?

;)
Diane

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

#9 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 4,517 posts

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

Hey don't forget the Bee Gee's and Andy Gibb! I loved them. And KC and the Sunshine Band! I had the biggest crush on KC. And Grease! Dh and I used to put on our old disco CD's and dance and our teenager would tell us that disco music should be considered child abuse! And she understands why I have no musical ability whatsoever! Don't forget the classic Saturday Night Fever. And the Brady Bunch and Partridge Family! Oh and Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley!
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#10 elvan

elvan

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,216 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

I actually like the song and never gave much thought to the lyrics until about 2 months ago, when the song was banned from the airways in Newfoundland and I think a couple of other provinces in Canada!

Can you guess why?

;)

:shock: Wow, and I was a big J Geils band fan myself. How ignorant we all were back in the 70's and how hard it must have been for gays to cope in our society with lyrics like this...now I'm glad it's been banned. Too bad my brain doesn't know that . Guess what tune is perking through my grey matter this morning! :P
There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.

Irving Stone

Elaine

Posted Image

#11 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,148 posts

• Favorite Character: Detective Peabody

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:11 PM

Loved the song Centerfold too...as well as, Gloria (I forget who sang that one)... REO Speedwagon

Laura Branigan sang Gloria. Didn't they make a tv movie out of the song? REO Speedwagon, I loved the Hi Infidelity album, it had Keep On Loving You, and Follow My Heart and In Your Letter and Take It On the Run. I've got Centerfold on my MP3 player, along with Down Under and Who can it be now? by Men at Work. How about Tainted Love by Soft Cell.

Anyone else remember that terrible song "I've Never Been To Me?" Can't believe it hit #3 on the charts.

Teen idols, sigh. I started young, had a major crush on Mark Goddard from Lost in Space (and a second-time around when he showed up years later on General Hospital), and both Ben Murphy and Pete Duel from Alias Smith and Jomes, and both Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson, watched The Hardy Boys every week. Well, every other week since it alternated with the Nancy Drew mysteries.

Ok, this is a good topic but bad cause I've got this stuck in my head now...

Charlene
I've Never Been To Me Lyrics

Hey lady, you lady, cursing at your life
You're a discontented mother and a regimented wife
I've no doubt you dream about the things you'll never do
But, I wish someone had talked to me
Like I wanna talk to you.....

(chorus)
Oh, I've been to Georgia and California and anywhere I could run
I took the hand of a preacher man and we made love in the sun
But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free
I've been to paradise but I've never been to me

Please lady, please lady, don't just walk away
'Cause I have this need to tell you why I'm all alone today
I can see so much of me still living in your eyes
Won't you share a part of a weary heart that has lived million lies....

(repeat chorus)

[spoken]
Hey, you know what paradise is?
It's a lie, a fantasy we create about people and places as we'd like them to be
But you know what truth is?
It's that little baby you're holding, it's that man you fought with this morning
The same one you're going to make love with tonight
That's truth, that's love......

Sometimes I've been to crying for unborn children that might have made me complete
But I took the sweet life, I never knew I'd be bitter from the sweet
I've spent my life exploring the subtle whoring that costs too much to be free
Hey lady......
I've been to paradise, (I've been to paradise)
But I've never been to me

Fries before guys, foods before dudes.

#12 Caro48

Caro48

Civilian

• Members
  • 20 posts

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

I think, I still have some of my Tiger Beats, from the 60's. I liked Ricky Nelson.

Good old Tiger Beat Magazine! I remember that and read it regularly.

I crushed on the guy with the curly blond hair from the movie Blue Lagoon....whatever his name was. :P

When I was younger than the "crushing" stage, I remember playing with toys like the Six Million Dollar Man (Steve Austin) and Biotic Woman (Lindsay Wagoner) action figures. I also remember Stretch Armstrong...how weird is that. I'm sure that I didn't personally own Stretch and just played with him. I was a tomboy, though. ;)

For tunes, Centerfold by the J.Giles Band was wildly popular during my freshman year of high school. Also during that time, there was a country song called "I'm gonna hire a wino to decorate our home." I am not kidding. We laughed about that a lot! :lol:

Great topic, Lisa!

I think my son had a Stretch Armstrong. It might still be around.

#13 vettech

vettech

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

Carole, I do remember that song "I've Never Been To Me", now I'll be singing that song and "Money for Nothing" all afternoon at work today...the youngsters will think I'm loopy!! :lol: Yes, that's her Laura Branigan, who sang Gloria, thanks Carole. Not sure about the movie will have to look into that. Loved that Speedwagon album too.

Jen, that story was funny, sorry about your leg. :lollol:

How about the Hudson Brothers? My sister had a crush on Brett Hudson. They had a variety show on TV too. Brother Bill Hudson is actress Kate Hudson's father. Then there was Jack Wagner, "All I Need" and "Premonition" from his 1984 album, then he was on the soap General Hospital. I still have all these albums, jeez!! I'll hae to get out my 45's and post later on what I find there, wow, what a flash back that will be. :P

My mom just asked if everyone remembers the TV show "Dark Shadows". I think I mentioned that on another thread. We loved that silly, campy show. Don't think I would like it now though. Early on it was live on TV and the actors made some major mistakes, it was quite humorous. :lol:
LISA

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 boats

boats

Captain

• Members+
  • 2,208 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt Eve Dallas.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

The TV show... BATMAN!! with Adam West playing the role... A comic book style show of bam, Pow, thump, in comic book balloons as they fight.
These are an opinions of a man and may differ from all others; Please don't hunt him down and cause bodily harm.

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain:
If I can ease one life the aching,
or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I sall not live in vain.
Emily Dickinson

#15 vettech

vettech

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

The TV show... BATMAN!! with Adam West playing the role... A comic book style show of bam, Pow, thump, in comic book balloons as they fight.

Mark, remember they had a Batman movie with the original cast back then too. Loved that show too. :lol:
LISA

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,148 posts

• Favorite Character: Detective Peabody

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

How about the Hudson Brothers? My sister had a crush on Brett Hudson.

You tell your sister hands off, Brett is MINE! Or at least he was, er..never mind how many years ago. :lol:

Fries before guys, foods before dudes.

#17 vettech

vettech

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

How about the Hudson Brothers? My sister had a crush on Brett Hudson.

You tell your sister hands off, Brett is MINE! Or at least he was, er..never mind how many years ago. :lol:

Ha!! Yeah, she'd probably cringe if I was to remind her that she liked him, way back when!! :lollol:
LISA

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 boats

boats

Captain

• Members+
  • 2,208 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt Eve Dallas.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

The 1st Mickey Mouse show... All of those kids are now grandparents or Great grandparents

M--I--C--K-E-Y---M-O-U-S-E... Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mouse.

Radio shows; The Green Hornet, Let George Do it, The Shadow Knows, The Great Gildersleeve (SP?), Jack Benny, George Burns & Gracie Allen and so forth.
These are an opinions of a man and may differ from all others; Please don't hunt him down and cause bodily harm.

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain:
If I can ease one life the aching,
or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I sall not live in vain.
Emily Dickinson

#19 Teresa50

Teresa50

Inspector

• Members+
  • 4,517 posts

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

Thanks Carole, I've got "I've Never Been to Me" running through my head now! We called it "The Bubblehead National Anthem" It made it to #3???? 1982 was a pretty bad year for songs....

No ones mentioned Dynasty, Dallas, Dukes of Hazzard. Loved Beau and Luke Duke. Even had a pair of Daisy Dukes....when I had the figure for it......*sigh*. Those were the days.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#20 TheSneezingLobster

TheSneezingLobster

Officer

• Members+
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

#Davy, Davy Crockett, the King of the wild frontier....# on The Wonderful World of Disney. Every kid on the block had a 'coonskin cap.

Elvis Presley's first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. He was shown only from the waist up because network censors would not allow his hip swivels to be seen on national TV.

Joining Captain Midnight's Secret Squadron and getting the ring and decoder pin by sending in one proof of purchase label from Ovaltine.

My parents driving across town in Chicago to get a 15 cent White Castle hamburger.

Frankie Avalon flubbing his hit song "Venus" on American Bandstand. He came on stage lip-synching this song, but the tech accidentally played the flip side of the record.

Being scared of the original episodes of "Twilight Zone", "Outer Limits", "Shock Theater" and "One Step Beyond".

My first crush was on Illya Kuryakin (actor David McCallum) on The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Exclaiming "Holy s***!" after the first episode of "Star Trek" and "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In."

Exclaiming "Holy s***!" the first time Bruce Lee fought on "The Green Hornet."

Watching the pandemonium at White Sox Park on "Disco Demolition Night" -- a stunt organized by local deejays that blew up a mountain of disco records. The crowd got out of control and nearly wrecked the ball park. This was the end of of disco music on the radio. "Another One Bites the Dust...."

Sneezy
"You're going to need a bigger boat...." - Sheriff Brody, Jaws

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it!" - Super Chicken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users