Photo

Posting New Fan Fic Stories

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:32 AM

PLEASE DO NOT NAME YOUR BLOG "(USERNAME'S) BLOG", "MY BLOG" OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!!!!! THE NAME OF YOUR BLOG IS THE TITLE OF YOUR STORY!!!

THIS IS IMPORTANT!! ANY "BLOG" THAT IS NAMED "MY BLOG" OR "(USERNAME'S) BLOG WILL BE DELETED!!!!

THE NAME OF YOUR BLOG IS THE TITLE OF YOUR STORY!!!
One of the reasons for the upgrade to the new forum was for us to move away from the "old" Fan Fiction posting software, to a new, more integrated software.

NOTE: The "Old" Fan Fiction Section is No Longer in Use! It is for ARCHIVES only!!! We will no longer allow posting of fan fiction stories in that section.

FOR NEW STORIES: we are using what would typically be a "blog" for fan fiction stories. I think you will all find that this is just as good a system, if not better.

BUT...

It's a little different from the old software, so here is a quick tutorial on how to post a story:

First of all, what is being called a "blog" by the forum software, we want to think of as a "Story." What is being called an "Entry" would be like a "Chapter."

There are a couple of ways to start a "Blog" or "Story." One is to go to your personal options menu, and click on "Manage Blogs."

Attached File  fanfic1.jpg   31.57KB   2 downloads

The other way is to go to the "Fan Fiction" section, and there you should see a button that says "Manage Blogs."

Attached File  fanfic10.jpg   29.02KB   3 downloads

Remember, the "Blog" that you create is actually your "story." You have no limit on the number of stories you can start.

When you choose to "Manage Blogs," you are taken to a section in your personal preferences for blog management. This is where you'll do most of the management of your blogs (stories), but for now, we're just concerned about starting a new story.

When You choose "Manage Blogs" you will be taken to the main screen where you'll either start your new story or edit one that you've already started.

Attached File  fanfic2.jpg   37.68KB   2 downloads

Click "Create a Blog" and you will see some legal junk talking about the rules of the Blogs. Please click the box that says you understand the rules, then click "Continue."

Attached File  fanfic4.jpg   99.24KB   3 downloads

The next screen is where you'll give your story a name and a description. Most of the stories we will be creating here will be hosted locally, so you will select "Local Blog".

AGAIN......PLEASE DO NOT NAME YOUR BLOG "(USERNAME'S) BLOG", "MY BLOG" OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!!!!! THE NAME OF YOUR BLOG IS THE TITLE OF YOUR STORY!!!

Once you have filled in all of he information correctly, Then, click "Continue."

Attached File  fanfic5.jpg   44.33KB   4 downloads

The next screen is for you to decide on different options for your story like if you're going to allow others to edit the story. All these options are pretty much self explanatory, so just fill them out the best you can, or leave them at their default settings. You can always change them later.

That's it! You have created a Story! Now all you need to do is add chapters. You do this by clicking on the "Manage Blogs" button, then clicking on "Options."

Attached File  fanfic2.jpg   37.68KB   2 downloads

When you click the "Options" button, you'll get a drop-down menu of options for the story, and one is "Post New Entry"

Attached File  fanfic3.jpg   20.91KB   8 downloads

Remember....an "Entry" here is the same as a "Chapter" of your story.

Once you're done editing, save your draft.

Attached File  publishblog.jpg   14.13KB   1 downloads

Once you do that, it will go into the approval queue, and will be approved.

A few tips...

Your "entry" (or chapter) titles should be something that makes sense. In this case, "Chapter One," "Chapter Two." You can name them something else, but it might make things confusing.

Once you create your story, your chapters will sit in queue and wait to be approved. In the future, we'll probably allow some members to skip that queue and be able to post their story right away.

Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to create sitewide "Categories" like we did with the other software. You can, however, create your own "categories" for your posts. It might be helpful to all the other members if you could make sure to create at least two categories: "In Progress" and "Completed". That way, your readers will know which category a certain story or chapter is in.

As with everything else, PLEASE ask questions if you don't understand something, or if something doesn't seem to work like it should. It's going to take a bit of getting used to, so I understand that at least for the first several weeks or months there will be many questions. That's ok.

Again, let me know if there's something else that you don't understand and/or that needs to be explained better.

Thanks Everyone!

AJ

Attached Files

Edited by AJ, 23 October 2012 - 01:10 AM.
Updated for new Forum Upgrade.

#2 BJB

BJB

Rookie

• Members+
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for all the work. If we had a story in progress on the old site, would you like us to post the whol thing again the a new blog?
BJB

#3 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

Yes, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

AJ

#4 larsonkoala2

larsonkoala2

Roarke was a fictional character until I saw Hugh Jackman

• Chief
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:08 PM

do i validate stories or do they just appear?

nancy
eve: man. god. roarke.

roarke: an interesting and flattering line up.

webster is mine because I said so

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

clairee to ouiser: i love you more than my luggage. from the movie steel magnolias.

ouiser: i'm not crazy. i have been in a bad mood for 40 years. steel magnolias.

barbosa; the world use to be a bigger place.
jack sparrow: the world is still the same. there is just less in it.

pirates of the carribean: at world's end.

you want to feel pain, try wearing a corset. elizabeth swan, pirates of the caribbean:curse of the black pearl

on july 22, 2006, i lost my best friend, and sister of my heart, belinda(1950-2006). rest in peace lady. your other half of brain still and always will miss you . Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

do i validate stories or do they just appear?

nancy

If you go to the individual blog post, you will see that to the left of the title of the post, there's an "Options" button. Click that, and you'll get a drop-down list of things you can do with the post, including "Post Entry." That's what you click on to approve the post.

As with the last software, everyone also has the ability to rate and comment on posts, as well as to subscribe to a blog or subscribe to all of a certain members blogs.

You might also notice that on the main page of the forum, there is now a box for "Recent Blog Posts." The five most recent posts will be listed there.

AJ

#6 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

Ok, I'm bumping this up so that people can see it, and I will put a link to this thread in the Blog rules that everyone must agree to before they create a blog. Please see the first post of this thread and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY!! Especially where it says:

PLEASE DO NOT NAME YOUR BLOG "(USERNAME'S) BLOG", "MY BLOG" OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!!!!! THE NAME OF YOUR BLOG IS THE TITLE OF YOUR STORY!!!

THIS IS IMPORTANT!! ANY "BLOG" THAT IS NAMED "MY BLOG" OR "(USERNAME'S) BLOG WILL BE DELETED!!!!

THE NAME OF YOUR BLOG IS THE TITLE OF YOUR STORY!!!

Please remember that this area is for fan fiction stories only!! You would not name a fan fiction story "My Blog".

I understand it's confusing, but please remember that if you are clicking on the link that says "Fan Fiction," that link should contain FAN FICTION, not a personal Blog.

Thank You,

AJ

#7 DrmDrgn

DrmDrgn

Civilian

• Non-Active Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:48 AM

AJ

Question:
How can a reader identify a list of completed stories to read through.
In the old fan fiction site - you could select the 'completed' area on the top right hand side see all the completed stories.

There was another section for 'In Progress' and of course the 'hold'

Is there something similiar on the new site or a status label to select to get a list of completed stories?

DrmDrgn

#8 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:23 AM

If you look at my first post above, you will see that I said:

Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to create sitewide "Categories" like we did with the other software. You can, however, create your own "categories" for your posts. It might be helpful to all the other members if you could make sure to create at least two categories: "In Progress" and "Completed". That way, your readers will know which category a certain story or chapter is in.

This is something that's really important for the individual authors to do, in order that people will know that a story is completed. Since there's really no way that I can do that on my end, unfortunately, that responsibility has to fall to the individual authors.

AJ

#9 BJB

BJB

Rookie

• Members+
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

This is something that's really important for the individual authors to do, in order that people will know that a story is completed. Since there's really no way that I can do that on my end, unfortunately, that responsibility has to fall to the individual authors.

AJ

I didn't understand how that would work before, because I thought you saw the category when you looked at the blog entry so how did it make a difference, but I am guessing from the two entries that we can choose to have blogs listed or arranged by category??? So if we all use this method, someone who only wants to read completed stories can organize his/her list that way???

If that is so, the category wouldn't be for a completed chapter, it would be if the story was complete?? Would the categories for all the entries need to be changed when the story was completed??

Thanks.

#10 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

AJ

I didn't understand how that would work before, because I thought you saw the category when you looked at the blog entry so how did it make a difference, but I am guessing from the two entries that we can choose to have blogs listed or arranged by category??? So if we all use this method, someone who only wants to read completed stories can organize his/her list that way???

If that is so, the category wouldn't be for a completed chapter, it would be if the story was complete?? Would the categories for all the entries need to be changed when the story was completed??

Thanks.

After doing some testing, probably the best way to handle this would be to put either "Complete" or "Incomplete" in your blog description before any descriptive text for the story. That way, people will see that designation right away on the list of stories or when they're reading your story.

Unfortunately, you'd have to mark each chapter in a story complete rather than mark the story itself complete.

You have to understand that this software was really not written to be used as a Fiction software. It's a blog, so it works like a blog. But, it has been suggested to the company that makes the software that there be a way to categorize blogs, and so they may add that feature in the future.

AJ

#11 BJB

BJB

Rookie

• Members+
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

AJ

Thanks.

After doing some testing, probably the best way to handle this would be to put either "Complete" or "Incomplete" in your blog description before any descriptive text for the story. That way, people will see that designation right away on the list of stories or when they're reading your story.

Unfortunately, you'd have to mark each chapter in a story complete rather than mark the story itself complete.

You have to understand that this software was really not written to be used as a Fiction software. It's a blog, so it works like a blog. But, it has been suggested to the company that makes the software that there be a way to categorize blogs, and so they may add that feature in the future.

AJ

Yeah, I just went back and played with it on one of my blogs. Opening it up to edit the category takes the whole thing back through validation. I think we have people who would hunt someone down if they took chapters out if the viewing mood to edit the category. Plus we would drive poor Nancy nuts.

On my second one I started using the name of my story with the chapter becasue it was easier to tell the blogs apart on the home view. I also started putting final chapter or epilogue on the last entry. Since that is the first entry that shows when the blog is done it is pretty clear that the story is done.

However you want us to do it, maybe adding it to the blog rules like you did for the title, telling us to use a title instead of Jane Doe's Blog would help with consistency.

#12 larsonkoala2

larsonkoala2

• Chief
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

if you were driving me nuts, believe me i would tell you. :rant: i have no problem with you playing around with the new fan fiction area so that you can get more comfortable with it.

nancy

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

clairee to ouiser: i love you more than my luggage. from the movie steel magnolias.

you want to feel pain, try wearing a corset. elizabeth swan, pirates of the caribbean:curse of the black pearl

on july 22, 2006, i lost my best friend, and sister of my heart, belinda(1950-2006). rest in peace lady. your other half of brain still and always will miss you . Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 BJB

BJB

Rookie

• Members+
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

Missmillie posted"

"Hi all,
I have a question about the fan fiction blogs that are done. That is the stories that are finished. Is there a way to put them in chapter order, Chapter one being first and making it possible to go from one chapter to the next similar to the ones in the archive? Most of these stories are so good, I re-read them. I spend a lot of time clicking and reclicking getting around each chapter blog. I'm sure that I've probably put this question in the wrong place on the site. If someone will direct me to the right place or person, I will put it there. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Also congratulations are in order for each and every author of the Fan Fiction blogs. They do a great job. If you haven't ever read the stories, I encourage you to do so. Pam Gill"

I don't have an answer to your question but I have found some things easier than others.
1) When you go in to the fanfiction blog you can go to view blog home which has short little excerpts from the last entry of each story or view blog list which lists the blogs. Apparently you can change how the list is arranged with limits, but I haven't gotten that to work for me yet.

2) When you go into the blog, if you go to the last page you can obviously see the first entry, but instead of scrolling to the top and viewing the blog again, you can hit the go back arrow on your browser (I think it is your browser) and that will take you to the entry plaace for the chapter you just read. then you can click onto the next. 2 clicks instead of the scrolling and 3 or 4 clicks.

Maybe you already figured that part out. If anyone has any easier ideas, please share. Also, I know there were some questions about printing earlier oin the process. I don't know if anyone ever figured that out or if anyone still cares about that.

As one of the writers, thanks for the encouragement. :)

#14 Mumsay

Mumsay

Civilian

• Non-Active Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

I have not been here in forever...I am finding it difficult to navigate the new site. On the 'fan fiction' archive page I have found whole stories, some that I have read before. But on the current fan fiction page I only find the most current chapters of ongoing stories :(
Please let me know how to find the whole story...complete or not.
Thank you,
Mumsay
Karin M.

God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do!

"No amount of books is excessive. Someone has to own them, and it might as well be us."
-Nora Roberts

#15 larsonkoala2

larsonkoala2

• Chief
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:23 PM

hi, i am nancy and i am the moderator of fan fiction.

yes, the new site for the fan fic is a bit confusing, but, once you understand it, it is quite simple. to read an entire story, click on the title of the story you want to read, and go to the bottom of the page to get to the beginning of the story. this new blog will not allow us to put the story for chapter 1 to the end. when you finish that chapter at the end you will see a link that says, back to what ever story you are reading. click that and then follow the instructions above to continue. yes, it is a bit much, but once you get it, it really is quite simple.

if you have any questions, please feel free to pm me.

nancy

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Mumsay

Mumsay

Civilian

• Non-Active Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:26 AM

Thanks Nancy!!
I appreciate the information. I will check it out later this week. I enjoyed the ones I've read before :) And it's true...two books a year just isn't enough!
Have a good rest of the weekend.
Karin

hi, i am nancy and i am the moderator of fan fiction.

yes, the new site for the fan fic is a bit confusing, but, once you understand it, it is quite simple. to read an entire story, click on the title of the story you want to read, and go to the bottom of the page to get to the beginning of the story. this new blog will not allow us to put the story for chapter 1 to the end. when you finish that chapter at the end you will see a link that says, back to what ever story you are reading. click that and then follow the instructions above to continue. yes, it is a bit much, but once you get it, it really is quite simple.

if you have any questions, please feel free to pm me.

nancy

Karin M.

God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do!

"No amount of books is excessive. Someone has to own them, and it might as well be us."
-Nora Roberts

#17 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

I have not been here in forever...I am finding it difficult to navigate the new site. On the 'fan fiction' archive page I have found whole stories, some that I have read before. But on the current fan fiction page I only find the most current chapters of ongoing stories :(
Please let me know how to find the whole story...complete or not.
Thank you,
Mumsay

Here's an easy way to do it.

Usually, when you go to the Fan Fiction page, you see the chapters, like you've said. But, to the right of those, you will see a block that says "List Blogs." (Circled in red in the photo below)

Attached File  blogchapters-1.jpg   139.62KB   15 downloads

You can choose how many you want to list and how you want to list them. For example, most recently updated blogs first. Then click the green arrow. You should now see the list of all the blogs.

Attached File  bloglist.jpg   131.91KB   13 downloads

Now, go to the bottom of this list, and you will see a link that says "Keep List as Start Page"

Attached File  blogstartpage.jpg   137.03KB   10 downloads

Click that link, and now, whenever you go to the Fan Fiction section, you will see a list of stories with the most recently updated stories first.

AJ

#18 Chahat

Chahat

Civilian

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

Is it possible to see who has subscribed your blog?

#19 AJ

AJ

Commissioner

• Comissioner
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

Is it possible to see who has subscribed your blog?

I don't think that's possible at this time, but I'll look into it.

AJ

#20 Sweetheart

Sweetheart

Civilian

• Non-Active Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hey!
I've got a question.
I posted a new entry on my Fan Fic 2 days ago and it is not released yet. Did I something wrong?

Edited by Sweetheart, 04 January 2012 - 05:20 PM.