#21 ruth

ruth

Chief

• Chief
  • 6,343 posts

• Favorite "In Death" Book:

• Favorite Character: Roarke

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:58 AM

I think I've been out of active trek fandom for too long.....I don't even know what Rod does for a living or if he even wants to be associated with Trek. And yes I definitely hope the producers pay some sort of tribute to Majel in the credits. If they don't they should be hung by their thumbs from the nearest ceiling pipe. She was one classy lady unlike a couple of other women connected to trek that I could name but won't (one's an actress and the other is a big name fan - points to you if you figure it out).

Without Order.............Chaos Without Rules.............Anarchy
userbar293553ez5.gif]norafanbar.gif
 roarkebar.gif

indeathfanbar.gifteam-edward.jpg

#22 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 1st Deputy Commissioner
  • 11,601 posts

• Favorite Character: Detective Peabody

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

I don't even know what Rod does for a living or if he even wants to be associated with Trek.

Oh he's definitely associated with Trek. I googled and his occupation is listed as 'television producer.' If you check IMDB, his only credits are Trek-related, and there aren't many of them. I guess he doesn't have to work for the paycheck.
It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

Eloisa James, Three Weeks With Lady X

#23 ruth

ruth

Chief

• Chief
  • 6,343 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:25 AM

There are star trek related relatives all over the place. One of Bill Shatner's sons-in-law is the head makeup/special effects artist for the new Star Trek Movie. I forget which daughter. I don't think its Melanie because I think she's married to the actor who played the sheriff in The 4400.

roarkebar.gif

#24 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,601 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Mockingbird Director Robert Mulligan Dies at 83

Robert Mulligan, who earned an Oscar nomination for directing 1962's To Kill a Mockingbird, died from heart disease Saturday, Dec. 20, in his Connecticut home. He was 83.

Though not a household name, Mulligan was considered one of the premier filmmakers of his era, directing five actors to Oscar nominations: Gregory Peck and Mary Badham (To Kill a Mockingbird), Natalie Wood (Love with the Proper Stranger), Ruth Gordon (Inside Daisy Clover) and Ellen Burstyn (Same Time, Next Year). Only Peck won for his turn as Atticus Finch.

Mulligan's other credits include Summer of '42, Fear Strikes Out, The Great Impostor and Baby, the Rain Must Fall.

An Emmy winner for 1959's The Moon and Sixpence, Mulligan got his start in television before moving into film. His final film was 1991's The Man in the Moon, which was Reese Witherspoon's movie debut.

Mulligan's younger brother was the late actor Richard Mulligan. He is survived by his wife, Sandy; three children from a previous marriage, Kevin, Beth and Christopher; two grandchildren; and a brother, James.
It was as if the world was presenting her with everything she wanted ... in all the wrong ways. 

#25 IDFAN

IDFAN

Eve's stunt double for sex scenes

• Chief
  • 7,291 posts

• Favorite Character: Lt. Eve Dallas

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:00 AM

By POLLY ANDERSON - Associated Press Writer
Eartha Kitt, a sultry singer, dancer and actress who rose from South Carolina cotton fields to become an international symbol of elegance and sensuality, has died, a family spokesman said. She was 81.

Andrew Freedman said Kitt, who was recently treated at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, died Thursday in Connecticut of colon cancer.

Kitt, a self-proclaimed "sex kitten" famous for her catlike purr, was one of America's most versatile performers, winning two Emmys and nabbing a third nomination. She also was nominated for several Tonys and two Grammys.

Her career spanned six decades, from her start as a dancer with the famed Katherine Dunham troupe to cabarets and acting and singing on stage, in movies and on television. She persevered through an unhappy childhood as a mixed-race daughter of the South and made headlines in the 1960s for denouncing the Vietnam War during a visit to the White House.

Through the years, Kitt remained a picture of vitality and attracted fans less than half her age even as she neared 80.

When her book "Rejuvenate," a guide to staying physically fit, was published in 2001, Kitt was featured on the cover in a long, curve-hugging black dress with a figure that some 20-year-old women would envy. Kitt also wrote three autobiographies.

Once dubbed the "most exciting woman in the world" by Orson Welles, she spent much of her life single, though brief romances with the rich and famous peppered her younger years.

After becoming a hit singing "Monotonous" in the Broadway revue "New Faces of 1952," Kitt appeared in "Mrs. Patterson" in 1954-55. (Some references say she earned a Tony nomination for "Mrs. Patterson," but only winners were publicly announced at that time.) She also made appearances in "Shinbone Alley" and "The Owl and the Pussycat."

Her first album, "RCA Victor Presents Eartha Kitt," came out in 1954, featuring such songs as "I Want to Be Evil," "C'est Si Bon" and the saucy gold digger's theme song "Santa Baby," which is revived on radio each Christmas.

The next year, the record company released follow-up album "That Bad Eartha," which featured "Let's Do It," "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" and "My Heart Belongs to Daddy."
In 1996, she was nominated for a Grammy in the category of traditional pop vocal performance for her album "Back in Business." She also had been nominated in the children's recording category for the 1969 record "Folk Tales of the Tribes of Africa."

Kitt also acted in movies, playing the lead female role opposite Nat King Cole in "St. Louis Blues" in 1958 and more recently appearing in "Boomerang" and "Harriet the Spy" in the 1990s.

On television, she was the sexy Catwoman on the popular "Batman" series in 1967-68, replacing Julie Newmar who originated the role. A guest appearance on an episode of "I Spy" brought Kitt an Emmy nomination in 1966.

"Generally the whole entertainment business now is bland," she said in a 1996 Associated Press interview. "It depends so much on gadgetry and flash now. You don't have to have talent to be in the business today.

"I think we had to have something to offer, if you wanted to be recognized as worth paying for."

Kitt was plainspoken about causes she believed in. Her anti-war comments at the White House came as she attended a White House luncheon hosted by Lady Bird Johnson.

"You send the best of this country off to be shot and maimed," she told the group of about 50 women. "They rebel in the street. They don't want to go to school because they're going to be snatched off from their mothers to be shot in Vietnam."

For four years afterward, Kitt performed almost exclusively overseas. She was investigated by the FBI and CIA, which allegedly found her to be foul-mouthed and promiscuous.

"The thing that hurts, that became anger, was when I realized that if you tell the truth _ in a country that says you're entitled to tell the truth _ you get your face slapped and you get put out of work," Kitt told Essence magazine two decades later.

In 1978, Kitt returned to Broadway in the musical "Timbuktu!" _ which brought her a Tony nomination _ and was invited back to the White House by President Jimmy Carter.

In 2000, Kitt earned another Tony nod for "The Wild Party." She played the fairy godmother in Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Cinderella" in 2002.

As recently as October 2003, she was on Broadway after replacing Chita Rivera in a revival of "Nine."

She also gained new fans as the voice of Yzma in the 2000 Disney animated feature "The Emperor's New Groove.'"

In an online discussion at Washingtonpost.com in March 2005, shortly after Jamie Foxx and Morgan Freeman won Oscars, she expressed satisfaction that black performers "have more of a chance now than we did then to play larger parts."

But she also said: "I don't carry myself as a black person but as a woman that belongs to everybody. After all, it's the general public that made (me) _ not any one particular group. So I don't think of myself as belonging to any particular group and never have."

Kitt was born in North, S.C., and her road to fame was the stuff of storybooks. In her autobiography, she wrote that her mother was black and Cherokee while her father was white, and she was left to live with relatives after her mother's new husband objected to taking in a mixed-race girl.

An aunt eventually brought her to live in New York, where she attended the High School of Performing Arts, later dropping out to take various odd jobs.

By chance, she dropped by an audition for the dance group run by Dunham, a pioneering African-American dancer. In 1946, Kitt was one of the Sans-Souci Singers in Dunham's Broadway production "Bal Negre."

Kitt's travels with the Dunham troupe landed her a gig in a Paris nightclub in the early 1950s. Kitt was spotted by Welles, who cast her in his Paris stage production of "Faust."

That led to a role in "New Faces of 1952," which featured such other stars-to-be as Carol Lawrence, Paul Lynde and, as a writer, Mel Brooks.

While traveling the world as a dancer and singer in the 1950s, Kitt learned to perform in nearly a dozen languages and, over time, added songs in French, Spanish and even Turkish to her repertoire.

"Usku Dara," a song Kitt said was taught to her by the wife of a Turkish admiral, was one of her first hits, though Kitt says her record company feared it too remote for American audiences to appreciate.

Song titles such as "I Want to be Evil" and "Just an Old Fashioned Girl" seem to reflect the paradoxes in Kitt's private life.

Over the years, Kitt had liaisons with wealthy men, including Revlon founder Charles Revson, who showered her with lavish gifts.

In 1960, she married Bill McDonald but divorced him after the birth of their daughter, Kitt.

While on stage, she was daringly sexy and always flirtatious. Offstage, however, Kitt described herself as shy and almost reclusive, remnants of feeling unwanted and unloved as a child. She referred to herself as "that little urchin cotton-picker from the South, Eartha Mae."

For years, Kitt was unsure of her birthplace or birth date. In 1997, a group of students at historically black Benedict College in Columbia, S.C., located her birth certificate, which verified her birth date as Jan. 17, 1927. Kitt had previously celebrated on Jan. 26.

The research into her background also showed Kitt was the daughter of a white man, a poor cotton farmer.

"I'm an orphan. But the public has adopted me and that has been my only family," she told the Post online. "The biggest family in the world is my fans."

Laie_42.gif

Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn. 

#26 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,601 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:43 PM

Oh, my, I'm so sorry to hear that one. She was quite a lady--and the best Catwoman ever.

#27 Donna

Donna

Inspector

• Chief
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:42 AM

Oh, my, I'm so sorry to hear that one. She was quite a lady--and the best Catwoman ever.

Ms Kitt was my favorite Catwoman, too.
I'll miss her; she had a lot of talent.
Posted Image
"He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...He's just a fictional character...)

Women are much like angels. When you break our wings we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why so many people appear to be bright until they open their mouths.

Diva of In Death

#28 ruth

ruth

Chief

• Chief
  • 6,343 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:16 AM

I enjoyed her as Catwoman also.

roarkebar.gif

#29 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,601 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

Mia Farrow's Adopted Vietnamese Daughter Dies
Lark Song Previn was 35
December 31, 2008

One of Mia Farrow's 15 children has died.

The "Rosemary's Baby" star lost her 35-year-old adopted daughter Lark Song Previn, at New York Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn on Christmas Day, report news sources.

The New York City medical examiner did not reveal the cause of death. Previn had been ailing for a decade, suffering from AIDS-related illnesses.

A service at St. Saviour Roman Catholic Church in Brooklyn on Tuesday (Dec. 30) was followed by her cremation. Previn is survived by her partner Robert Garcia and two daughters: Sara, 13, and Christine, 12.

Farrow had three biological children (Matthew, Sascha and Fletcher) with her now ex-husband Andre Previn, with whom she also adopted three daughters: the Vietnamese-born Lark Song and Summer Song and Korean-born Soon-Yi, who later notoriously married Farrow's lover, director Woody Allen.

Farrow also had a biological son, Ronan, and adopted a son and daughter, Moses and Dylan, with Allen. As a single mother, she later adopted Tam, Isaiah, Quincy, Frankie-Minh, Thaddeus and Gabriel.

#30 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,601 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

OBITUARIES
Actor Bernie Hamilton, Capt. Dobey on 'Starsky and Hutch,' dies at 80

Bernie Hamilton, the brother of jazz drummer Chico Hamilton, was best known for his role on the ’70s police drama “Starsky and Hutch,” but he also appeared in dozens of films and founded the Chocolate Snowman record label. He died Tuesday at age 80.

By Dennis McLellan
January 1, 2009

Bernie Hamilton, an actor best known for playing the no-nonsense police captain on the popular 1970s TV series "Starsky and Hutch," has died. He was 80.

Hamilton, the brother of jazz drummer Chico Hamilton, died of cardiac arrest Tuesday night at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, said his son, Raoul.

Beginning with a role as a baseball player in the 1950 movie "The Jackie Robinson Story," Hamilton appeared in more than two dozen films, including "The Young One," "The Devil at 4 O'Clock," "Synanon," "The Swimmer," "Walk the Walk," "The Organization" and "Scream Blacula Scream."

In 1964, he gained notice playing opposite Barbara Barrie in the low-budget movie "One Potato, Two Potato," an interracial love story about a white divorcee who loses legal custody of her young daughter after marrying a black co-worker at a factory.

Hamilton also had guest spots on numerous television series before becoming a regular on “Starsky and Hutch,” the 1975-79 ABC police drama starring Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul as hip plainclothes cops who tooled around in a white-striped tomato-red Ford Gran Torino.

The series, on which Hamilton played the brusque, by-the-book Capt. Harold Dobey, gave him wide recognition "still to this day," his son said.

"At the hospital last night, one of the doctors came by and said, 'Wow, I remember him from 'Starsky and Hutch,' " Raoul Hamilton said Wednesday.

Fred Williamson, the action star of two movies that Hamilton appeared in during the '70s -- the crime dramas "Hammer" and "Bucktown" -- has called Hamilton "an extraordinary actor."

"He's a very versatile actor and never really got the recognition he deserved for his work," Williamson, who played Capt. Dobey in the 2004 movie version of "Starsky and Hutch," told the Oakland Tribune at the time.

Raoul Hamilton said his father's "authoritative" police captain performance hit close to home.

"It was an extension of who he was as a real person," he said. "He was a self-made man. He comes from a family of five brothers and one sister from the east side of Los Angeles; they came from humble beginnings."

Born in Los Angeles on June 12, 1928, Hamilton ran away from home as a teenager and wound up staying in someone's garage and attending Oakland Technical High School, where he played football and got involved in acting.

In the late '60s and early '70s, while continuing to act, Hamilton operated the Citadel d'Haiti, a nightclub-art gallery on Sunset Boulevard.

He phased out of acting after "Starsky and Hutch" and spent the next 20 years in the music business producing R&B and gospel records.

Hamilton also sang, and one of the albums he produced was called "Capt. Dobey Sings the Blues."

His record label was called Chocolate Snowman. And in the early '80s, his son said, he created a children's doll called the Chocolate Snowman that was manufactured in South Korea and sold at Toys "R" Us.

In addition to his son, he is survived by his daughter, Candy Hazarika Hamilton; his brothers Chico and Don; and two grandchildren.

A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Jan. 8 at Inglewood Cemetery Mortuary, 3801 W. Manchester Blvd., Inglewood.

#31 Crammer

Crammer

Sergeant

• Members+
  • 985 posts

• Favorite Character: Peabody

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

John Travolta's Son Dies
Posted Jan 2nd 2009 3:10PM by TMZ Staff
Rand Memorial Hospital in the Bahamas tells TMZ the son of John Travolta died today.

We're told 16-year-old Jett was vacationing with Travolta and wife Kelly Preston. We do not know the circumstances of his death.

There have been reports that Jett was autistic, though Travolta has denied it, saying he suffers from Kawasaki Syndrome, a condition which often leads to heart disease.

UPDATE: 4:00 PM ET -- Travolta's attorney Michael Ossi says Jett suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and he died on scene.

UPDATE: 4:40 PM ET -- Restview Memorial Mortuary and Crematorium in the Bahamas tells TMZ Jett's body would be transferred to Restview on Monday.

Dr Dre's son found dead
26/08/2008 1:24:00 PM. | Jesse Perez

The son of legendary rap producer Dr Dre has been found dead at his home in Woodland Hills on Saturday morning.
Andre Young Jr., 20, was unresponsive when his mother went to check on him around 10 A.M., calling 911 to alert paramedics.
Young’s cause of death is pending completion of a toxicology report.
His father, Andre Young Sr, is better known to the world as “Dr. Dre”, an award winning producer who shot to fame as a pioneer of the influential gangsta rap group NWA, and becoming co-owner of West Coast record label Aftermath Entertainment.
Later, he became popular for his discovery and production of rap artist Eminem.

#32 CrystalAnne1229

CrystalAnne1229

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,240 posts

• Favorite Character: Eve

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

They're saying Jett Travolta died after a seizure. Emergency personnel responded and tried to treat, but they couldn't get him back.
Mother of future rock stars Nicholas and Bethany

#33 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,601 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

Two people dying much too young. It's so sad.

#34 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,601 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:40 AM

Prolific mystery writer Donald Westlake dead at 75
Jan. 1, 2009, 7:38 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- Donald Westlake, a prolific author considered one of the most successful and versatile mystery writers in the United States, has died. He was 75.

Westlake collapsed from an apparent heart attack as he headed to New Year's Eve dinner while vacationing in Mexico, his wife, Abigail, told the New York Times.

In a lengthy career that spanned a half-century, Westlake won three Edgar Awards, an Academy Award nomination for his screenplay "The Grifters" and the title of Grand Master from the Mystery Writers of America in 1993. His first novel, "The Mercenaries," was published by Random House in 1960.

Westlake wrote more than 90 books — mostly on a typewriter. Aside from his own name, he also used several pseudonyms — including Richard Stark, Tucker Coe, Samuel Holt and Edwin West — in part because people didn't believe he could write so much so quickly.

"In the beginning, people didn't want to publish more than one book a year by the same author," Susan Richman, his publicist at Grand Central Publishing, told the Times.

In recent years, Westlake wrote only under his name and Richard Stark, author of a dark, spare series about a one-named sociopath called Parker. More than 15 of his books were made into movies, and he wrote a number of screenplays, including "The Grifters," which was nominated for an Academy Award in 1991.

Westlake continued to write until he died. His latest novel, "Get Real," is scheduled to be released in April 2009.

Donald Edwin Westlake was born July 12, 1933, in Brooklyn but was raised in Yonkers and Albany. He attended several colleges in New York but did not graduate from any of them.

He married his current wife, Abigail, in 1979, and the couple made their home in Gallatin, N.Y. He is survived by his wife, four sons from his previous marriage, three stepchildren and four grandchildren.

#35 chapler27

chapler27

Lieutenant

• Members+
  • 1,239 posts

• Favorite Character: Peabody

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:17 AM

I feel very sad for John Travolta and Kelly Preston.
I can't even imagine it.

I also feel bad for Dr. Dre.

I truly hope the media leaves these two families alone so they can grieve in private.
Laurie

Round Three: 23.4

Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,601 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

He was in almost 200 tv shows as well as movies and Broadway. Great character actor. You may not remember the name but the face probably rings a bell. His favorite role of mine was Daniel Webster Tucker in the April Fool's episode of MASH.

Attached File  hingle1_sized.jpg   20.32KB   5 downloads

Actor Pat Hingle dies of cancer

Associated Press

CAROLINA BEACH, N.C. - Pat Hingle, a veteran actor whose career included a recurring role as Commissioner Gordon in several "Batman" movies in the 1990s, has died after battling blood cancer. He was 84.

Family friend Michele Seidman says Hingle died at his home in Carolina Beach shortly after 10 p.m. Saturday.

Seidman says he decided to settle in the coastal town after shooting the movie "Maximum Overdrive" in the area in 1986. He lived there for more than 15 years.

Family spokeswoman Lynn Heritage says Hingle was diagnosed with myelodysplasia in November 2006.

His career in movies and television spanned six decades, and he was also nominated for a Tony Award in 1958. Hingle's last movie was "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby," which was released in 2006.

Hingle has a long list of acting credits to his name. Among them are "Hang 'Em High" (1968), "Sudden Impact" (1983), "Road To Redemption" (2001), Stephen King's "Maximum Overdrive" (1986), "The Grifters" (1990), "Citizen Cohn" (1992).

#37 ruth

ruth

Chief

• Chief
  • 6,343 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

I heard about this one on the radio this morning on the local talk show. I remember him. Loked him and his work. He played Commissioner Gordon on Batman.

roarkebar.gif

#38 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,601 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

The nation's first cat, Indio "Willie" Bush, died Sunday at the White House. She was 18.

"The President, Mrs. Bush, Barbara, and Jenna are deeply saddened by the passing of their cat," said a statement by the office of first lady Laura Bush. Indio was named by the president's then 9-year-old daughter Barbara after former Texas Rangers baseball player Ruben Sierra, who was called El Indio.

"Indio was a beloved member of the Bush family for almost two decades. She will be greatly missed," the statement said.

#39 Teresa55

Teresa55

Inspector

• Members+
  • 5,363 posts

• Favorite Character: Baxter

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:44 AM

I didn't even know the Bush's had a cat. I just knew about the dogs, Scott and Barney.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Live your life like a dog, if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#40 Carole

Carole

1st Deputy Commissioner

• 11,601 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

'Hee-Haw' comedy duo member Jon Hager dead at 67
Jan. 10, 2009

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Jon Hager, who performed in the musical comedy duo The Hager Twins on "Hee-Haw," has died. He was 67.

Sam Lovullo, who produced "Hee-Haw" and was a friend of Hager's, said Hager was found dead in his apartment in Nashville Friday morning. He was found in bed and apparently died in his sleep.

Lovullo said Hager had been in poor health and was depressed since his identical twin brother, Jim Hager, died in May 2008.

The twins were in the original cast of the syndicated TV show, which debuted in 1969 satirizing country life with a mixture of music and comedy. Both were guitarists and drummers.

The Hagers had worked with country star Buck Owens and joined "Hee Haw" when Owens signed as the show's co-host with Roy Clark.

Lovullo said they were originally hired for their musical talent, but as the show went on they incorporated more comedy into their act.

"They had a fun personality," Lovullo said. "They were also the answer to the Hee-Haw Honeys. We were always looking for the other side of the gender — for good looking hunks. They fit the bill very nicely."

The Hagers left the program in the mid-80s and continued to perform together.

The twins were born in the Chicago area and lived in Los Angeles before "Hee Haw." They said in 1998 that they had been together all their lives except for three and a half years, after Jon left Los Angles and moved to Nashville. Jim remained on the West Coast, but eventually followed.

"They were always contributing their talents to whatever was needed, not for money but just so they could help out. They did a lot of fund raisers and were supportive of young people who were ill," Lovullo said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users