Authors Similar to

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SplitSiss_*

Guest_SplitSiss_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:41 PM

Hi all! I love to lose myself in books- as evidenced by joining this group- but I read so darn quickly when its good that I'm lost when I'm done- boo hoo! I have some fav authors I read non-stop:
JD Robb- of course
JK Rowling
Johnathan Kellerman
Dean Koontz
some Stephen King
Iris Johansen
Kay Hooper
Patricia Cornwell
just started (and finished) all of Keith Ablow
James Patterson
Jeffery Dever

so I've read all of their books...so my question is...I haven't had much luck in picking up new books/authors that I like lately... so I was wondering who else you all read?????

I like thriller/murder type books- but also like fantasy/horror- and Romance ONLY added into the plot- (I gave up Romance Novels when I got married- just too depressing- I love my husband- don't get me wrong- but the love/sex in most romance novels- to me- are a bit over the top- and I find myself compareing ho-hum life to epic romance and well... get depressed- lol)

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Paula

#2 Guest_stowe_*

Guest_stowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2004 - 05:37 PM

Paula -

I bet you'd like Lisa Gardner (The Survivor's Club, The Third Victim) and Karin Slaughter a lot. Maybe Lisa Jackson (more recent, her older stuff is straight romance) and Erica Spindler (although she's a little hit or miss, IMO). My other suggestion is to go through the What are you Reading thread and look for Ayo's posts. She reviews a lot of mystery/suspense books. (there's a thread on Slaughter with a link to Ayo's interview with her somewhere in the Other Authors forum, too.)

#3 Guest_SplitSiss_*

Guest_SplitSiss_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2004 - 06:26 PM

Thanx Stowe- I'm going to check it those out! :)

Paula

#4 Judyh0311

Judyh0311

Civilian

• Non-Active Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:02 AM

I'm curious as to who any of you would consider similar to J.D. Robb. I've been looking around and I love a series. Any good suggestions?

#5 IDFAN

IDFAN

Eve's stunt double for sex scenes

• Chief
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:25 AM

I've always thought Nora Roberts read similarly to JD Robb, not sure why. :shades:

Laie_42.gif

True friendship multiplies the good in life and divides its evils. Strive to have friends, for life without friends is like life on a desert island... to find one real friend in a lifetime is good fortune; to keep him is a blessing.

Baltasar Gracian

#6 Judyh0311

Judyh0311

Civilian

• Non-Active Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

LOL. Gee....I would never have thought of her. :lol:

#7 IDFAN

IDFAN

• Chief
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:34 AM

Sorry, but I was born and raised a smart ass.

Laie_42.gif

True friendship multiplies the good in life and divides its evils. Strive to have friends, for life without friends is like life on a desert island... to find one real friend in a lifetime is good fortune; to keep him is a blessing.

Baltasar Gracian

#8 Judyh0311

Judyh0311

Civilian

• Non-Active Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:36 AM

Me too! No apology necessary! I was hoping to find someone new to hold me over until the next ID

#9 karalea

karalea

Officer

• Members+
  • 298 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:36 AM

And you are so good at it too Lelani...:P

#10 IDFAN

IDFAN

• Chief
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:39 AM

And you are so good at it too Lelani...:P

My mom always told me to "stick with what you're good at". :smartass:

But to answer the question posed in this thread, I'm afraid that Nora and her alter ego are unique. There are several threads where folks recommend books they enjoy and this forum is full of them. I suggest perusing the various author threads here to look for some recommendations.

Laie_42.gif

Baltasar Gracian

#11 Joe

Joe

Baxter's Personal Therapist

• Chief
  • 9,210 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:01 AM

I'm with Lelani. Nora's "style" is pretty unique, and it's hard to find someone to compare her too. Her writing is heads and shoulders above almost everyone else in the same "genre" I've read. :dunno:

There's lot of ongoing series out there though. If you want something supernatural, there's JR Ward or MJD. If you want gritty, there's Kathy Reichs or Karen Slaughter (I haven't read her, as I hear her books are VERY graphic in regards to the violence, and I don't handle that well; but I have several friends who LOVE her), or Lisa Scottoline. If you want romance, there's Nora of course. Linda Howard is the next best thing in her ilk that I can think to recommend.

As Lelani said, just go ahead and peruse the author threads. You're bound to find someone you like. :D Or, you could always check out the fanfiction here, if you're needing an ID fix. I hear there's some pretty good authors and stuff. :P

#12 Judyh0311

Judyh0311

Civilian

• Non-Active Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:04 AM

Thanks so much. I appreciate it!

#13 IDFAN

IDFAN

• Chief
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:29 AM

I'm with Lelani.

As Lelani said,

Could you please stop doing that? It totally squicks me out! Just saying! I mean, it's CANON that we disagree on everything!

Laie_42.gif

Baltasar Gracian

#14 Joe

Joe

• Chief
  • 9,210 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:32 AM

I agree that it's Canon that we disagree. :lollol: Geez louise. What, are you and Erryyn in a conspiracy? I haven't pulled out the C-bomb in a LONG time. Geesh. :rolleyes:

#15 IDFAN

IDFAN

• Chief
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:39 AM

:innocent: Sweetie, it hasn't been THAT long!

Laie_42.gif

Baltasar Gracian

#16 Joe

Joe

• Chief
  • 9,210 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:48 AM

:blahblah: :shutup: Has too. :( It's been....at least a week. :duh:

Meanie. :sad1:

#17 erryyn

erryyn

Trebuchet operations tech

• Chief
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:51 AM

I agree that it's Canon that we disagree. :lollol: Geez louise. What, are you and Erryyn in a conspiracy? I haven't pulled out the C-bomb in a LONG time. Geesh. :rolleyes:

:lol: It cracks me up when other people give you hell about it. But it really hasn't been that long at all, unless you're a fruit fly ... but I'm eager for your next installment. ;)

And no conspiracy. People have trouble putting up with me long enough to form any good 'alliances'. Something about some fella I like ragging on tends to put 'em off (or it may be my personality). I just can't figure it.

:P
Injuries in Death

Posted ImagePosted Image

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. ~ Will Rogers

Posted Image

#18 ruth

ruth

Chief

• Chief
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:09 AM

You're still here so I'd say you have assimilated very well erryn. or we have - one or the other? Oh god, does this mean we are becoming a Borg collective?

Without Order.............Chaos Without Rules.............Anarchy
userbar293553ez5.gif]norafanbar.gif
 roarkebar.gif

indeathfanbar.gifteam-edward.jpg

#19 erryyn

erryyn

Trebuchet operations tech

• Chief
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:37 AM

You're still here so I'd say you have assimilated very well erryn. or we have - one or the other?

I resent that.

;)

Oh god, does this mean we are becoming a Borg collective?

Nah, you'll know it's happening if I suddenly find myself in love with Roarke, agree with Joe, sell off my ... for Dummies books, get an education, and give up my position as CFO for Ferret Rights Expansion And Knowledge. Then you'll know that Bad Things are imminent.

And I don't see any of that happening so I think you're safe Ruth.

I'm curious as to who any of you would consider similar to J.D. Robb. I've been looking around and I love a series. Any good suggestions?

I haven't the faintest idea but like some of the other suggestions of fanfic and reading the reviews of other authors on the board. (that's my lame attempt not to get busted for wandering too far off topic. Pitiful, really)

:lol:
Injuries in Death

Posted ImagePosted Image

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. ~ Will Rogers

Posted Image

#20 ruth

ruth

Chief

• Chief
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:51 PM

For a lame attempt you did very well - I figured we'd veered so far off the track it was hopeless. Judyh - like erryyn, Joe and Lelani (?) said - check out the fan fiction and go into other authors forum.

Without Order.............Chaos Without Rules.............Anarchy
userbar293553ez5.gif]norafanbar.gif
 roarkebar.gif

indeathfanbar.gifteam-edward.jpg